DVD Talk
Help me get over being nervous about meeting other otters at a DVDTalk Meet thing. [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Help me get over being nervous about meeting other otters at a DVDTalk Meet thing.

The Edit King
06-14-05, 07:39 PM
I don't know how you all do it!

I so embarrassed to meet folks...

It's like goin' on a blind date or something.

Even though I never did that, mainly because I never had to, I could only imagine how creepy it would have been.

You ALL should have come to Cedars Sinai Hospital (out here in Los Angeles) when I was a helpless lamb strapped to a bed with I.V.'s, and heart monitors, and a neck brace, and who knows just WHAT they had plugged into me! :lol:

Besides, if anyone were to actually meet me, or even see me (...like "In Person"), I feel my DVD Talk image would be ruined forever and everyone would know that I'm just an old man behind the curtain, like the Wizard of Oz.

I've really gotta work on this one...

THEEK! :eek:

Kittydreamer
06-14-05, 07:40 PM
Come to Portland, TEK. I'm friendly and would love to meet you.

elektra
06-14-05, 07:48 PM
Picture people naked?

joltaddict
06-14-05, 07:49 PM
At least I wont be there. :lol:

Nick Danger
06-14-05, 07:55 PM
But what if someone is picturing THEEK naked?!?!

The horror! The horror!

twikoff
06-14-05, 07:56 PM
just remember
only half of us are psycho
the rest of us are just crazy

TomOpus
06-14-05, 08:31 PM
You should come down to San Diego. Last time we had a meet was when someone from out of the area came to visit. RandyC might even let you thump one of his melons.

elektra
06-14-05, 09:08 PM
Only two of my personalities are schizophrenic. One of them is parinoid and the other one is out to get him.

Trigger
06-14-05, 09:10 PM
I've contemplated going to a meet - but I realized that in order to be involved in a meet, everyone else would have to meet someplace where I was planning to be anyway. So far I'm content with this being as close to any of you as I get. It's a shame too, cuz I'm alot cooler in person.

Seeker
06-14-05, 09:37 PM
who are you meeting?

Bronkster
06-14-05, 10:54 PM
TEK, if it helps, I'm too shy/screwed up/anxious to even consider thinking about going to an Otter Meet. Although, I did sneak into the hospital where you were having your surgery and popped a paper bag behind the doctor working on you. He seems to have slipped and messed up the disk he was working on. Sorry.

Darknite39
06-14-05, 11:00 PM
TEK, remember your tazer and you'll be fine.

mrpayroll
06-14-05, 11:12 PM
A Los Angeles Otter Meat? Well that's just crazy talk!

Chris

Bacon
06-14-05, 11:14 PM
I'm friendly

rotfl

;)

Paul, just be yourself :)

Bandoman
06-14-05, 11:18 PM
I, too, worried that meeting Otters in person would ruin my reputation and their image of me. Turns out they all already thought of me as a slightly overweight middle-aged geek who was alot funnier online than in real life. Woo-Hoo! :banana:

RyoHazuki
06-14-05, 11:28 PM
Well since we'll never have an AZ meet, I really don't have to worry about those kinda things.

glassdragon
06-14-05, 11:39 PM
Picture people naked?
there you go, picture kvrdave or bandoman naked and if your head doesn't explode then you'll be all set.

*edited to add bandoman... that might do it too :D

Bandoman
06-14-05, 11:41 PM
I look fantastic naked!

[Bando does a happy naked dance]

glassdragon
06-14-05, 11:43 PM
I look fantastic naked!

[Bando does a happy naked dance]

MY EYES................... MY EYES...................

GOD ALMIGHTY..................... I'M BLIND

Bandoman
06-14-05, 11:47 PM
My work here is done.

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
06-15-05, 12:06 AM
don't be afraid. i won't bite...

at least not that hard

jrobinson
06-15-05, 12:44 AM
yeah who wants to meet weirdos? ;)

edit: and a bunch of dudes at that

Buford T Pusser
06-15-05, 12:48 AM
I've met a few of the people here and they were all nice. No one that was really strange or anything.

Maybe you and Tball could get together and support each other with this crisis.

HN
06-15-05, 12:53 AM
you're only nervous because you can't edit live conversations

devilshalo
06-15-05, 12:58 AM
you're only nervous because you can't edit live conversations
I'm just worried Edit King will break his face trying to emote all the smilies during a conversation.

glassdragon
06-15-05, 01:47 AM
I'm just worried Edit King will break his face trying to emote all the smilies during a conversation.

or bring big posterboard placards to hold up that show his current mood

The Infidel
06-15-05, 02:05 AM
Rules for overcoming nervousness when meeting new people for the first time in a public setting:

1. Be friendly and funny, but not too friendly and funny. Shake hands, not genitalia. You want to come off as amiable and amusing, not creepy and perverted.

2. Blend in gracefully. Leaping into the middle of a circle of people with random elbow drops will most likely be met with disdain and, depending on the size of the people involved, retaliation.

3. In conversation, be confident and articulate. Don't be remembered the next day as "the sweating stutterer". Don't be that guy.

4. Take some time to size up your company before telling certain jokes. If your jokes contain any of the following words, consider an alternate plan of action: "Nantucket", "poop", "hooker", any word which would indentify a minority race, or any word used to cause the listener to visualize body parts usually hidden underneath clothing.

5. Plan out the length of your stay and drink moderately over the span of time. Finishing a six-pack before you walk in the door, then a fifth of vodka within the first hour will mean, at the very least, time in the bathroom better spent getting to know your new friends...and in a worst case scenario, could mean jail time for indiscretions you won't even remember.

6. If you take pictures as mementos of the occasion, take a good combination of pictures of both men and women, and try to get as many faces in the shots without letting the camera drift too far down. See the rule about creepy and perverted.

7. If you should decide to leave the soiree a little early, say a brief parting farewell to each person with whom you shared conversation at various moments of the night. Standing by the door and suddenly proclaiming your impending exit in a loud, booming voice should be avoided. Avoid phrases like "Catch ya on the flip-flop!", "Hasta la vista, muchachos!", or "Later, stunt-doubles!"

When taking these rules into consideration, always remember just to be yourself. Of course, if being yourself means the above examples of inappropriate behavior are common practice for you.......well, you're basically screwed, and more or less on your own.

Enjoy! :)

joltaddict
06-15-05, 02:33 AM
Leaping into the middle of a circle of people with random elbow drops will most likely be met with disdain and, depending on the size of the people involved, retaliation.

Not at our meets. :lol:

The Infidel
06-15-05, 02:40 AM
Not at our meets. :lol:
Well, I did say "most likely", which would mean in normal circumstances in the company of normal people. Everyone knows Otters aren't normal, so therein lies the joke. ;)

WhoGirl
06-15-05, 04:45 AM
I've always been terrible and awkward at meets, I think. Mainly because (and this is with most social situations) I'm an observer. When I first meet new people, I tend to listen to what they have to say, watch how they act and read their mannerisms, in order to get a feel of how that person is... figure them out. You know? Then I know on what level I can communicate, or in some cases not communicate, with them. But I'm sure my initial silence can come off as me being bitchy, stuck-up, or shy.

It's kind of like this: I'm fine talking one-on-one with people. I'm fine talking in front of a thousand people. But get me around a group of ten people and I'm awful.

My advice: If you wanna meet people from the board, just go, relax, and enjoy being able to talk about forum subjects to someone else who will "get" what you mean. :) No one's expecting out of you, and they're all in the same boat pretty much. We all love DVDs and the insanity of this board!

BTW Paul: I'd absolutely love to meet you and hang out with you! It doesn't have to be like an official meet or anything. You and Treesa can meet up with Suprmallet and I sometime when we're in So. Cal ('cause we'll be heading down there more since that's where all his family is.) We can hang out, shoot pool, shoot the shit... you know, no big whoop. ;)

LiquidSky
06-15-05, 07:20 AM
TEK....you are one of the coolest posters on the board. Don't be nervous about meeting other Otters.

I would love to have a Nashville Otter meet sometime.

elektra
06-15-05, 07:43 AM
TEK....you are one of the coolest posters on the board. Don't be nervous about meeting other Otters.

You're in Tennessee? Wow! I'm sorry to hear that.

wendersfan
06-15-05, 07:44 AM
I, too, worried that meeting Otters in person would ruin my reputation and their image of me. Turns out they all already thought of me as a slightly overweight middle-aged geek who was alot funnier online than in real life. Woo-Hoo! :banana:Wow, it's like we're the same person or something. :eek:

Groucho
06-15-05, 08:02 AM
We have weekly Utah DVDTalker meets. There's regularly 100+ people in attendance. At first I was a bit nervous, especially since going in the nude is required, but eventually I got used to it.

As a side note, moderators please ban Bandoman/wendersfan for having multiple accounts.

wendersfan
06-15-05, 08:09 AM
We have weekly Utah DVDTalker meets. There's regularly 100+ people in attendance. At first I was a bit nervous, especially since going in the nude is required, but eventually I got used to it.
Why should you be nervous? It's just a meeting of you and all your wives, correct?
As a side note, moderators please ban Bandoman/wendersfan for having multiple accounts.
I think you should be banned for not understanding what a simile is. :)

NCMojo
06-15-05, 08:34 AM
Why should you be nervous? It's just a meeting of you and all your wives, correct?
rotfl Nice.

wendersfan
06-15-05, 08:36 AM
rotfl Nice.You're not allowed to laugh at any of my posts, since it would invalidate part of my .sig.

NCMojo
06-15-05, 08:46 AM
I think you should be banned for not understanding what a simile is. :)
Hey! I thought my gig was misunderstanding smilies! :mad:

You're not allowed to laugh at any of my posts, since it would invalidate part of my .sig.
I saw that -- good call.

Maybe now I only need one group. :(

Buford T Pusser
06-15-05, 08:58 AM
I've always been terrible and awkward at meets, I think. Mainly because (and this is with most social situations) I'm an observer. When I first meet new people, I tend to listen to what they have to say, watch how they act and read their mannerisms, in order to get a feel of how that person is... figure them out. You know? Then I know on what level I can communicate, or in some cases not communicate, with them. But I'm sure my initial silence can come off as me being bitchy, stuck-up, or shy.

To sum up:

"I like to watch"- WhoGirl

I tend to be better one-on-one as well but sometimes a larger group is okay. Just depends on my mood and how many people I already know.

:buford:

Giles
06-15-05, 09:20 AM
1. Be friendly and funny, but not too friendly and funny. Shake hands, not genitalia. You want to come off as amiable and amusing, not creepy and perverted.

oh well.... :rolleyes:

mrpayroll
06-15-05, 10:15 AM
Enjoy! :)

:lol: Very funny and apropos (I have never typed that word in my life :eek: )

Chris

LurkerDan
06-15-05, 10:21 AM
At least I wont be there. :lol:
you'd give him a freaking heart attack.

chente
06-15-05, 10:38 AM
I'm actually more boring in real life, so I'm deathly afraid of someone calling a San Diego meet that I would be compelled to attend.

TomOpus
06-15-05, 06:37 PM
I'm actually more boring in real life, so I'm deathly afraid of someone calling a San Diego meet that I would be compelled to attend.Cool.. I'll start working something up... bwahahahaha :beer2:

Kittydreamer
06-15-05, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
I'm friendly

rotfl

;)

:sad: I really am friendly. :(

;)

The Edit King
06-15-05, 08:03 PM
WOW! :eek:

Is there any wonder why I Love DVD Talk so much?

Talk about cream of the crop, top of the heap, wonderful folks! :up:

I can't believe all the great responses!

You Guys & Gals have made me so comfortable, I think I could actually show up naked (30 pounds overweight and all), and feel totally at-Home about it! :lol:

Treesa was thinkin' about having a B-Day Party for me at some 5 Star Restaurant (in Bev Hills I suppose), and invite anyone who would want to come and celebrate with us and get the THRILL of actually meeting the One...The Only...ME!!! rotfl

We'd pay for all the food & drink & entertainment (Tree's Boss knows the managers of the Beatles, the Eagles, Alice Cooper, Burt Bacarach, Kenny Loggins, Boris Karloff, Carlos Santana, Tom Jones, Burt Lancaster, The Carpenters, Vincent Price, & Carrot-Top (just to name a few), so maybe he could work something out, like a one or two song unplugged thing...but even if he can't, just think of the photo-op with me!), so everyone could get their fill, have a blast, and not have to worry about gettin' stuck with the bill or any cost to you!

This could end up being a once in a lifetime, one night only, "DVD Talk/Edit King-Spectacular-Spectacular!!!"

:lol: & rotfl

THEEK! :eek:

Randy Miller III
06-15-05, 08:19 PM
I'd love to go to a meet sometime, but there's only like nine DVD Talkers in Pennsylvania.

elektra
06-15-05, 08:52 PM
For that kind of a soiree, I would fly out there for that!

Bacon
06-15-05, 09:09 PM

I would but I'm not driving 8 hrs just to meet you

;)

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
06-15-05, 09:18 PM
We'd pay for all the food & drink & entertainment

Free Food!!! i'm there!

and maybe we can race afterwards :p

Bacon
06-15-05, 09:22 PM
Free Food!!! i'm there!

and maybe we can race afterwards :p
Free strippers too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banana: I lvoe you theek!!!!!!!!! Thanks, Tittydreamer I mean Kittydreamer are you gonna be one of THEEK's guests? :eyebrow:

Giantrobo
06-15-05, 09:25 PM
Edit King I feel the same way.

As much as I like people around here i doubt I'll ever make it to any Otter Meets due to me shyness and lack of social skills. I'm just not as cool as most here. :(

elektra
06-15-05, 09:27 PM
Robo - not even for me? Your favorite pain in the butt???? <sniff, sniff>

Bacon
06-15-05, 09:27 PM

As much as I like people around here i doubt I'll ever make it to any Otter Meets due to me shyness and lack of social skills. I'm just not as cool as most here. :(
Don't wear the nametag that says "Hi my name is Booger"

:p

Giantrobo
06-15-05, 09:45 PM
Robo - not even for me? Your favorite butt???? <sniff, sniff>

FIXED

Well when you put it that way... ;)

mrpayroll
06-15-05, 11:30 PM
Paul, I'll come and you guys don't even have to pay for me! :)

Please just make sure you pick a place where the meal doesn't cost more than $5, that's my limit!

Chris

Nick Danger
06-16-05, 06:02 AM

Geez, Robo, you're one of my favorite posters. Besides, social skills are a matter of practice. Where better to practice than by meeting people who already like you?

elektra
06-16-05, 06:20 AM
FIXED

Well when you put it that way... ;)

Naughty boy! :)

Bronkster
06-16-05, 05:01 PM
Why do I get the feeling that an Otter Meet would be similar to going to a Star Trek convention?? ;)

scottall
06-16-05, 05:07 PM
You say that like it's a bad thing. :grunt:

The Edit King
06-16-05, 05:08 PM
:lol: & rotfl

elektra
06-16-05, 06:44 PM
Why do I get the feeling that an Otter Meet would be similar to going to a Star Trek convention?? ;)

Likely, but not necessarily a bad thing. :)

HN
06-16-05, 06:47 PM
Illogical

Bushdog
06-16-05, 07:16 PM
I, too, worried that meeting Otters in person would ruin my reputation and their image of me. Turns out they all already thought of me as a slightly overweight middle-aged geek who was alot funnier online than in real life. Woo-Hoo! :banana:
I can attest to this.

Cool Kitten
06-16-05, 08:22 PM
eh, i've met a bunch of people. Jolt even destroyed my house. It was fun.

The Edit King
06-16-05, 08:32 PM
Maybe so, but you're all DVD Talk professionals!

Cool Kitten
06-16-05, 09:43 PM
i hardly post here anymore :lol:
the trick is to develop friendships outside the forum.

The Edit King
06-16-05, 09:47 PM
the trick is to develop friendships outside the forum.I thought that's what DVD talk get-togethers was all about! :lol:

Besides, I have many pals outside the forum.

I just don't like the creepiness of the blind date aspect is all...

Maybe we can have a "rehersal meet" where everyone can wear like red sweaters, and if I don't like your faces or feel enough Love Vibes (from a safe distance), I can duck out & run away, and no one will have hurt feelings???

rotfl

-Paul

Buford T Pusser
06-16-05, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk professionals? You mean they pay some people to post? :eek:

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
06-16-05, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk professionals? You mean they pay some people to post? :eek:

Really? Where do i sign up for that :p

Cool Kitten
06-16-05, 10:53 PM
I thought that's what DVD talk get-togethers was all about! :lol:

only if you want to meet random people ;)

Buford T Pusser
06-17-05, 08:40 AM
only if you want to meet random people ;)

So it's finally out in the open eh? You think I'm random? Harrrummmppphh!

:buford:

mrpayroll
06-17-05, 10:58 AM
I thought that's what DVD talk get-togethers was all about! :lol:

Besides, I have many pals outside the forum.

I just don't like the creepiness of the blind date aspect is all...

Maybe we can have a "rehersal meet" where everyone can wear like red sweaters, and if I don't like your faces or feel enough Love Vibes (from a safe distance), I can duck out & run away, and no one will have hurt feelings???

rotfl

-Paul

My feelings are already hurt! :(

Chris

The Edit King
06-17-05, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk professionals? You mean they pay some people to post? :eek:What? You didn't get your check this month?

Kittydreamer
06-17-05, 11:49 AM
Free strippers too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banana: I lvoe you theek!!!!!!!!! Thanks, Tittydreamer I mean Kittydreamer are you gonna be one of THEEK's guests? :eyebrow:

No. :grunt: No one thinks I'm friendly so I'm going to stay home and pout. So there. :p

;)