Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The Matchmaker'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-05, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read DVD Savant's DVD review of The Matchmaker at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=14081 and... I think Savant should read the play. Or Wilder's earlier version, "The Merchant of Yonkers." Or the German play upon which it is based. Or the English play upon which the German play is based. Or Tom Stoppard's play that is based upon that earliest English version.

The film is a vastly abbreviated version of Wilder's play -- but it hits most of the plot points. Most of the flaws Savant found in the film come directly from the play.

Dolly is, in many ways, a latter-day Portia only, in this version, she marries Shylock.

The musical theatre piece, "Hello, Dolly!" makes much more sense on stage than it does in its filmic incarnation -- Savant is correct in pointing out the difficulties introduced by Miss Streisand in the role. One needs to have seen Miss Channing or Miss Bailey as Dolly to fully understand how the musical works.

And I agree wholeheartedly that this B&W transfer to DVD is stunning: It's a beautiful little film filled with winning performances by a first-rate cast.