Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Closer - Season One

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Closer - Season One

Old 06-13-05, 09:05 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
The Closer - Season One

When an unidentified woman is found brutally murdered in the Hollywood home of a successful hi-tech millionaire, LAPD's newly appointed head of the Priority Murder Squad, Deputy Chief Brenda Johnson, finds herself challenged not only by the strangeness of the case, but by those who resent her appointment. With her Southern drawl and less than genteel ways, Brenda proceeds to show her skeptical team the skills she learned as a CIA trained interrogator and begins to unravel the mystery behind the high-profile murder. But when she discovers that the accused killer and the victim have a lot more in common than anyone guessed, the case takes an unexpected twist that surprises even the most senior member of the squad.

*Presented w/o commercial interruption.

Not sold on the premise, but a decent cast (Kyra Sedgwick, J.K. Simmons, G.W. Bailey).

Last edited by Geofferson; 06-13-05 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-13-05, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a good cast and because it's summer, I don't have much else to watch. I'll check it out as well.
Old 06-13-05, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
me too ..replays like twice after the primere incase anyone has something else they want to watch inplace of it..
Old 06-13-05, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
i am boycotting this show. any basketball fan knows why.

the cast looks good, but I just can't bring myself to watch it.
Old 06-13-05, 12:00 PM

The Hollywood Reporter
…While Sedgwick, petite and attractive, is hardly the obvious choice for the role, she pulls it off, in the process creating one of the most intriguing characters in a TV police drama. …Despite TV's glut of procedurals, the story is fresh, challenging and full of surprises…

Variety
…At first glance a nothing-special copshow, "The Closer's" ad-free premiere actually proves surprisingly entertaining … finishes with a nice twist, and Sedgwick's Scarlett O'Hara, "lil' ol' me" belle act actually grew on me…

Entertainment Weekly
…Closer’s kick comes in the knotty conversations Johnson has with her suspects … Johnson is a charming blend of don’t-give-a-crap arrogance and a defensiveness that comes from succeeding in a deeply macho world. She’s a master of the verbal groin kick…
Old 06-13-05, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have heard nothing but good things about this, so I am going to check it out as well.

I agree that at first glance I was not at all interested in the premise, but I heard that Sedgwick's really puts a fresh spin on the procedural format.
Old 06-14-05, 09:01 AM

Anyone catch this last night? I recorded it, but have yet to watch.
Old 06-14-05, 09:25 AM

There was nothing else on, so I watched the first twelve minutes and couldn't get into it. I like Kyra Sedgwick, but that wasn't enough to hold my interest.

Fortunately, there was still nothing else on when it ran again three hours later, so I gave it another chance. It got better and proved to be well worth the hour (and twelve minutes). I'll definitely be watching next week.
Old 06-14-05, 11:14 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kyra Sedgwick was great, story was so-so, pretty good potential series. I'll be checking in again next week.
Old 06-14-05, 11:30 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts
Other then the one scene with the constant cutting back to the room with the other cops in it with the stunned look on their faces while she was in the interrogation room getting the confession it wasn't bad. That scene really annoyed me.
Old 06-15-05, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It was more interesting than The Inside, but not by much. It seems the cast is a little too big, many of them didn't do a whole lot.
Old 06-15-05, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I enjoyed this. I feel that there are either to many characters or way to much conflict. It seems that everyone, including the person who knew/hired her all want to see her fail. After the initial dislike, did Dennison(actor) ever show back up?

Hope things shake out as this seems to have some potential.

Will be watching next week.
Old 06-19-05, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The case was too simple (figured it out in the first 10 minutes during the survey of the murder scene).

The intercutting between the interrogation room and the cops watching it (at the end of the episode) was silly.
Old 07-28-05, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wow, this is the only "The Closer" thread I could find. Nobody else still watching this?

While I wasn't thrilled with the first episode, I've hung in there and seen every one now. The show has REALLY grown on me. Brenda's deceptively sweet/naive southern drawl has everyone underestimating her as she's actually way ahead of them.

This week's episode had some great dialogue, too:

Pair of detectives investigating the house where the murder victim had played poker:

Male detective: "Liquor in the front, poker in the rear."
Female detective: "What are you, 12?!"
Male detective: "Oooh, you got a little temper. You got a little Latino in you."
Female detective: "Yeah".
Male detective: "You want a little more Latino in you?"
Female detective: (Holding her hand way above his head) "You know what? You gotta be THIS tall to ride my ride."
Male detective: "Awwww. . . . ."

(I still don't have down all the supporting detectives' names.)

Last edited by rkndkn; 07-28-05 at 02:20 AM.
Old 07-28-05, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm watching every week and loving it too. Mostly because of Kyra Sedgwick's character. The plots are fairly standard for these kind of L&O type shows, but I love watching her find the one way into the criminal's defenses to get them to confess.
Old 07-28-05, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm watching, and I'm surprised -- nay, shocked -- that I'm really enjoying it.

das
Old 07-28-05, 08:30 AM

I'm still watching. I find it distracting that Kyra Sedgwick keeps reminding me of Amy Sedaris - especially when she's wearing those awful glasses - but other than that I've liked it so far. Even the running gag about her complete cluelessness about how to get around L.A. ("Is there more than one Figueroa?") is used sparingly enough to still be funny.
Old 07-28-05, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts
I'm still watching the show as well and I enjoy it. The supporting cast is pretty solid though I'm starting to dislike the guy who leaked the info in last week's episode (I don't remember anyone's name yet either).
Old 07-28-05, 11:32 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm hooked. This is a great show that has totally exceeded my expectations. With her performances in The Woodsman and now The Closer, Kyra Sedgwick has blossomed into a first-rate actor.
Old 07-28-05, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I went ahead and changed the thread title so we can designate this as the official Closer thread for the season.
Old 07-29-05, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Excellent work, Jadzia

das
Old 07-30-05, 07:29 AM

Apparently it's officially a hit, at least by summer standards. According to TV Guide, TNT has just closed the deal for a second season.
Old 08-02-05, 09:05 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not just by summer standards:

"The Closer," which attracts more than 5 million viewers per episode, one of the most successful scripted series in basic-cable history.
Old 08-02-05, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am still watching and really enjoying this show. The criminals are fairly easy to figure. The fun is watching her show her colleagues the way to the answers. Her gentle Southern nature causes everyone (criminals, superiors, co-workers) to all underestimate her. Glad I started this one, have enjoyed it very much.
Old 08-02-05, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Second Guest
Apparently it's officially a hit, at least by summer standards. According to TV Guide, TNT has just closed the deal for a second season.
Woo-hoo! Great news. Great show!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.