Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Anyone remember THE MOLE?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-05, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone remember THE MOLE?

So I just watched S1 of The Mole on DVD.

I didn't see it the first time around, but a coworker of mine was a fan of it, so when S2 aired I made a point of watching it. I really enjoyed S2 of this show and was looking forward to S3. Too bad they came out with Celebrity Mole instead. I tried watching that version, but I just couldn't get into it. Celebrities don't really need the money, so their hearts aren't in the game, there's no real risk or drama. What a POS show.

Anyhoo, I liked S1. I knew who the Mole was already since my coworker had already spilled the beans. I managed to catch one episode of S1 when it aired, the ep before last when they had the three questions game and the hotel escape. I won't spoil who the Mole was in case anyone wants to remain oblivious, but I'll say considering what I witnessed in that episode, it surprised me. Over the course of the series, however, it was a little more obvious.

I really hope they release S2 on DVD someday, because I wouldn't mind seeing it again. I thought the games were inventive for the most part (especially in S2), and I liked how they pitted the contestants against each other to cause dissent and paranoia (especially in S2). Unlike other reality game shows where it's a popularity contest to win, this one was based solely on a contestant's smarts and strategy. I liked that. Which is probably why it's not on anymore. *sigh*

L8r

Last edited by RogueScribner; 06-12-05 at 04:38 PM.
Old 06-12-05, 05:01 PM

The MOLE was a great show. I remember watching season 1 religously and loving it. Then when season 2 aired they cut it off maybe 6 episodes in for something else and when they finally brought it back it was entertaining to say the least. I watched both versions of the Celebrity editions and it wasn't the same, obviously. I believe it wasn't the contestants, but more that they cut everything. Episode length and contestants. I was more used to a full season with 18 contestants, I believe.

I'm fairly certain we'll see season 2 on dvd soon. Season 1 and one of the celebrity editions is out, it'd be strange if they didnt release the others.
Old 06-12-05, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts
I loved the first two seasons of the mole. The Mole is my second favorite reality show next to the Amazing Race. Anderson Cooper was my favorite reality host. He really made the show imho. Everything went downhill when Cooper stopped hosting after season two and Ahmad took over and they changed the show to Celebrity Mole.
Old 06-12-05, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
i remember the show
but never once watched an episode
Old 06-12-05, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Yep. 2 seasons were fantastic. Then Anderson Cooper left and they brought in celebrities. Terrible after that.
Old 06-13-05, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by Deftones
Yep. 2 seasons were fantastic. Then Anderson Cooper left and they brought in celebrities. Terrible after that.
Nothing truer has ever been said.

L8r
Old 06-13-05, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ok i tracked down the thread (see dvdtalk thread). man i loved this showe up until the celb's. that was garbage. never understood why this show drowned and surivour got so popular. to be honest i was annoyed with reality tv shoe game shows before they were a fad but for some reason, i can't recall now, there was a show i watched before the mole came on. and by being lazy and only half watching tv and mainly being on the computer i would also half watch the following shoe after about 3 episodes i be came totally engrossed. this was the first season btw. i thought the challenges were awesome and it also added a whole new level that one constestant was agianst the rest. it was similar to survivor but with intersting challenges (the hege maze with the hunters, the gladiator bit with the eggs, etc, etc) and a unique twist. i always wonder what the mole would get out of "winning." i figured it's have to be equal to what a "contestant" could win at the end. anyway, i'm a bit drunk and loved that show so i could go on and on.

loved, i think it was season two towards the end, were the one guy had to spend the night in the room with a bubble machine and a looped stereo playing Don ho's Tiny bubbles at varying speeds.
Old 06-13-05, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Venom
ok i tracked down the thread (see dvdtalk thread). man i loved this showe up until the celb's. that was garbage. never understood why this show drowned and surivour got so popular. to be honest i was annoyed with reality tv shoe game shows before they were a fad but for some reason, i can't recall now, there was a show i watched before the mole came on. and by being lazy and only half watching tv and mainly being on the computer i would also half watch the following shoe after about 3 episodes i be came totally engrossed. this was the first season btw. i thought the challenges were awesome and it also added a whole new level that one constestant was agianst the rest. it was similar to survivor but with intersting challenges (the hege maze with the hunters, the gladiator bit with the eggs, etc, etc) and a unique twist. i always wonder what the mole would get out of "winning." i figured it's have to be equal to what a "contestant" could win at the end. anyway, i'm a bit drunk and loved that show so i could go on and on.
Interesting idea. What did the Mole get out of it, does anyone know? I think if the Mole won the money the group lost that'd be more incentive to mess things up.

loved, i think it was season two towards the end, were the one guy had to spend the night in the room with a bubble machine and a looped stereo playing Don ho's Tiny bubbles at varying speeds.
I forgot all about that! What a great TV moment! heh heh

L8r
Old 06-13-05, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk God

I think the Mole got $500,000 for doing it, IIRC.
Old 06-13-05, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by lwhy?
I loved the first two seasons of the mole. The Mole is my second favorite reality show next to the Amazing Race. Anderson Cooper was my favorite reality host. He really made the show imho. Everything went downhill when Cooper stopped hosting after season two and Ahmad took over and they changed the show to Celebrity Mole.
agreed. ahmad sucked. celebrity mole sucked.
Old 06-13-05, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I never saw this show when it was first on, but I caught some of the repeats last year on GSN and I really liked it.

At first it was weird seeing Anderson Cooper hosting a game show, since I only knew him from CNN. I love his 360 show, he always makes funny/snarky comments about the news. I wish that CNN would repeat his show more often throughout the night than they do some of their other shows.
Old 06-13-05, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I made it to the call backs for the S2 auditions for The Mole...those were the days.
Old 06-14-05, 01:23 AM

Does anyone have any ratings info for the different Mole installments? Did S2 tank and that's why they celebrified it?

L8r
Old 06-14-05, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I never saw this show when it was first on, but I caught some of the repeats last year on GSN and I really liked it.

At first it was weird seeing Anderson Cooper hosting a game show, since I only knew him from CNN. I love his 360 show, he always makes funny/snarky comments about the news. I wish that CNN would repeat his show more often throughout the night than they do some of their other shows.
I also enjoy 360 and catch it whenever I can, but I had the opposite reaction: I found it difficult to take him seriously as a newscaster for a while since I knew him as the host of The Mole. I've gotten over that, though.

The Mole (not the "celebrity" crap) was my favorite reality show of them all. It's a shame it never caught on cause it was SO much better than most of the reality crap that is on the air today.
Old 06-14-05, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by RogueScribner
Does anyone have any ratings info for the different Mole installments? Did S2 tank and that's why they celebrified it?

L8r

No, it takend because IIRC they put it on a goofy night against some popular show without the benefit of a good lead in. Remember, this was ABC so th ey didn't have alot of prime time hits back then. Then, after 6 episodes, they yanked it off the schedule completely. Then, later that year (2003, I think) they brought it back in the Summer and showed all the episodes. By then, most of the fans had given up on it.
Old 06-14-05, 12:10 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No, it takend because IIRC they put it on a goofy night against some popular show without the benefit of a good lead in. Remember, this was ABC so th ey didn't have alot of prime time hits back then. Then, after 6 episodes, they yanked it off the schedule completely. Then, later that year (2003, I think) they brought it back in the Summer and showed all the episodes. By then, most of the fans had given up on it.
I remember that whole mess. It's my opinion that Mole died not because the show, but because ABC F***ed up the scheduling of the show. Moving the show in different time slot couple times in Season 1 and showed 6 episodes of season 2 in Fall, yanked it and show it again in the following summer. What's even worst was that ABC blamed the tanked rating in season 2 to show's content and decided to jazz it up with 2 more seasons of "celebrity" moles. Which ultimately killed the show. ABC the idiot!!
Old 06-14-05, 02:18 PM

I found an article from last year somewhere on the internet--let me Google it again for a link--here it is: http://www.realitytvworld.com/index/...ory.php?s=2285

It mentions how ABC was allowing The Mole to be shopped at other networks, and how the series generally had favorable numbers in the 18-35 demographic. I guess nothing ever materialized from that, huh?

L8r
Old 06-14-05, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
I think the Mole got $500,000 for doing it, IIRC.
I think the eventual winner got $500,000 because I remember thinking it was strange they didn't offer the typical 1 million dollar prize. I don't think the mole got the same amount as the winner because I mean where do I sign up for that guaranteed money!

Originally Posted by Venom
never understood why this show drowned and surivour got so popular.
I really think the only weakness of the Mole was the elmination rounds/rules. They take a test about who they think is the mole with the lowest correct score getting the boot (unless exempt). Not really that exciting - someone on EW said it felt very sterile. People want a reason for a contestant to be booted off whether being voted off or having the longest time i.e. Fear Factor. I think it turned some people off to see contestants taking a test (reminds me of HS) and perhaps it was anti-climatic relative to the stunts previously. Though personally I thought the green to red fingerprint was brilliant!
Old 06-14-05, 03:46 PM

If I remember correctly, the Mole 2 debuted right after Sept 11th and when that happened, most peoples minds were not into reality shows.

Since we were lucky to get Mole 2 and it had not built in a big enough audience, it's ratings tanked and ABC yanked the show and didn't put it on until the summer of 2002 when most people were not watching t.v.

Remember that summer tv viewing of new shows is a relatively new thing that has only caught on during the last couple of years.

Here was its schedule:

Season 2

10. 2- 1 28 Sep 01 The First Betrayal
11. 2- 2 5 Oct 01 The Second Betrayal
12. 2- 3 12 Oct 01 The Third Betrayal
13. 2- 4 4 Jun 02 The Fourth Betrayal
14. 2- 5 11 Jun 02 The Fifth Betrayal
15. 2- 6 18 Jun 02 The Sixth Betrayal
16. 2- 7 25 Jun 02 The Seventh Betrayal
17. 2- 8 2 Jul 02 The Eighth Betrayal
18. 2- 9 9 Jul 02 The Ninth Betrayal
19. 2-10 16 Jul 02 The Tenth Betrayal
20. 2-11 23 Jul 02 The Eleventh Betrayal
21. 2-12 30 Jul 02 The Twelfth Betrayal
22. 2-13 6 Aug 02 The Last Betrayal

But agreed, The Mole was my second favorite reality show after The Amazing Race.

Chris
Old 05-07-06, 02:39 AM
AOD

Hello my fellow Mole fans. I sent an email to eagle media, the distributors for The Mole on DVD, and this is what they said to my question about a S2 release:

"Nothing is planned at this time, but we do add to our schedule constantly.

Thanks for the interest."

I really do wish they would bring out season 2. This was by far one of the smartest, most entertaining reality shows on tv. Anderson Cooper makes for a great reality show host. Maybe Gord Lacey over at www.tvshowsondvd.com could stir the pot on this one (please, please!).

Any yes, Celebrity Mole was TERRIBLE. If that can weasel a DVD release, why can't season 2.

Last edited by AOD; 05-07-06 at 02:48 AM.
Old 05-07-06, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I feel so good knowing that there are others who enjoyed the MOLE. After S1 I did a little searching around and found that the show originated elsewhere (England, I think?) and was fairly popular there with several seasons aired. It also caught on in a number of other countries. Wouldn't it be great to see those episodes as well? I'd like to see how it translated within alternative cultures and languages and how the MOLE was portrayed.
Old 05-07-06, 08:03 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RogueScribner
Interesting idea. What did the Mole get out of it, does anyone know? I think if the Mole won the money the group lost that'd be more incentive to mess things up.
That's the way it is in the Australian edition.
Old 05-07-06, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
It was a great show, I was hooked from the first episode, I enjoyed the celebrity edition as well.
Old 05-07-06, 10:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Agree wholeheartedly- as much as I love Amazing Race, the Mole (first two seasons only) remains my favorite reality show of all time..........
Old 05-10-06, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

this was my favorite reality show, it was the perfect mix of a reality show, a game show and a "who done it" mystery without lowing itself to do stupid things like eating bugs and such.

Shame it didn't go into a Third season. The Celebrity editions were pretty much lame, but any Mole is better than no Mole... I actually kind of liked the 2nd Celebrity Mole a little bit with Dennis Rodman.

There was a UK version that lasted 2 Seasons and in Australia it's still going strong and just finished it's 5th Season. I got my hands on both UK seasons and the first 3 Australia seasons a couple months ago and I have been having Mole watching overload party. The first Seasons of both the UK and the Australia versions have the exact same tasks (begins with jumping out of a plane, ect) and it's fun to watch how other groups of people handle the same problems.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.