Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Emperor Hologram

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-05, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emperor Hologram

Can anyone find the picture of the person wearing the Emperor mask behind the scenes for ESB that was the Emperor hologram scene?
Old 06-12-05, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Damn, I can't even find her name! Just "old woman" with chimp eyes.
Old 06-12-05, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

actually the eyes looked more like Chameleon eyes to me. the way they sorta jut out.
Old 06-12-05, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mifuneral
actually the eyes looked more like Chameleon eyes to me. the way they sorta jut out.
Did someone say jut out?

Old 06-12-05, 09:51 PM

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Yeah, I never thought they looked like chimp eyes, either. That's the official story and you know Lucasfilm has never lied to us before.
Old 06-13-05, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Before:

After:

Yeah, I never thought they looked like chimp eyes, either.
If you've seen the original mask she wears, it pretty much shows why they don't look exactly chimp eyes.
Old 06-13-05, 08:35 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Of all the alterations made to the original trilogy, this one is the most critic-proof, without a doubt...
Old 06-13-05, 09:02 AM

Some would question that. I would agree with you. But some like the original and don't like the dialogue change, or perhaps even Ian's delivery. I think it's better in every single way, except for maybe the superfluous dialogue.

I would also say the most critic proof changes are the enhanced Battle of Yavin which easily beats the original battle hands down. The changes are excellent, seamless, and don't not call attention to themself. You know it looks better somehow, but you can't quite pinpoint it without being a hardcore fan and knowing every detail of these films.
Old 06-13-05, 11:36 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Though I recognize everyone is entitled to an opinion, I wouldn't know how to even wrap my mind around someone who would give a thumbs-down to the revised Emperor's hologram. Personally, my favorite aspect of it is the revised dialogue about the "son of Anakin Skywalker"...what creepy foreshadowing!
Old 06-13-05, 12:37 PM

Again, I'd agree. It's looks a whole lot better and the continuity problem between the entirely different looking Emperors has been improved greatly.
Old 06-14-05, 03:59 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 06-14-05, 04:31 PM
Banned

Look, it's got Angelina Jolie's lips for its eyes!!!
Old 06-14-05, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know what you're talking about, because I have posted it before. It shows that the Emperor in ESB was someone in a mask. This isn't the photo, but it's close enough.

Old 06-14-05, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
I know what you're talking about, because I have posted it before. It shows that the Emperor in ESB was someone in a mask. This isn't the photo, but it's close enough.

Yeah, the original hologram looks a lot better.
Old 06-14-05, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Terrell
Before:

Uncle Fester!

The original looked a lot more sinister.
Old 06-14-05, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would also say the most critic proof changes are the enhanced Battle of Yavin which easily beats the original battle hands down. The changes are excellent, seamless, and don't not call attention to themself. You know it looks better somehow, but you can't quite pinpoint it without being a hardcore fan and knowing every detail of these films.

bullshit
Old 06-14-05, 11:50 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like the new look, but they should of kept the same dialog as the original. The new versions overstate would needs to be said.
Old 06-15-05, 07:18 AM

The original looked a lot more sinister.
The original looks stupid, not to mention it wasn't even in the same universe of looking or sounding like McDiarmid. Thank God in heaven they changed.

bullshit
Well, except for the cynical and jaded, of course. They don't want anything changed or fixed, probably not even the transfer. The new space battles eats the original alive. So bullshit right back at ya.

Last edited by Terrell; 06-15-05 at 07:20 AM.
Old 06-15-05, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Of all the alterations made to the original trilogy, this one is the most critic-proof, without a doubt...
In theory, it was a good idea to change it. But like most things involving Lucas these days, the execution of it was all wrong. The dialogue change adds a lot of confusion to what was once a very straightforward scene(either Vader's now playing dumb or is just straight-up dumb).

Plus the acting on Ian's part was weak. I much prefer Clive Revill's "yes...yes...he would be a great asset" to Ian's "yeeeeeeeeees...he would be a great...asset". Especially with Clive's Emperor saying it with an evil smirk compared to Ian's look of complete boredom.
Old 06-15-05, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The original looks stupid, not to mention it wasn't even in the same universe of looking or sounding like McDiarmid. Thank God in heaven they changed.
Too bad it was the first appearance of the Emperor and it sounded a lot better. And it doesn't look stupid, it looks sinister as i said. The new one looks goofy like Uncle Fester.
Old 06-15-05, 04:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Doughboy
(either Vader's now playing dumb or is just straight-up dumb)
At the expense of sounding dumb myself, what are you talking about?
Old 06-15-05, 04:54 PM

I thnk that Ian makes a better emperor than the previous actor in every way. He's far more sinister and conving and I for one am glad that they changed the hologram to reflect Ian rather than dat' other guy! Besides, the first hologram looks like a mask and not an actual person. The second one is definately the better of the two.
Old 06-15-05, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
At the expense of sounding dumb myself, what are you talking about?
Original dialogue -

Emperor: "We have a new enemy. Luke Skywalker."
Vader: "Yes, my master."
Emperor: "He could destroy us."

New dialogue -

Emperor: "We have a new enemy. The young rebel who destroyed the Death Star. I have no doubt this boy is the offspring of Anakin Skywalker."
Vader: "How is that possible?"
Emperor: "Search your feelings, Lord Vader. You will know it to be true. He could destroy us."

It's obvious Vader knows who Luke is when Empire begins. The opening crawl says he's obsessed with finding him, and he even mentions while looking at the probe droid's pictures of the Rebel base that he's "sure Skywalker is with them". And the original version of the Vader/Emperor scene made it seem like they both knew who Luke was and that they each had similar agendas.

The new scene makes no sense. Either Lucas inserted that new dialogue to explain how Vader learns the truth about Luke which is preposterous. Or it's meant to show how Vader is trying to deceive the Emperor. The only problem with that is Palpatine would never be dumb enough to believe that Vader didn't know the truth already.

It's just a bad alteration any way you look at it. Why he didn't leave the original dialogue intact I'll never know.
Old 06-16-05, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Doughboy
The new scene makes no sense. Either Lucas inserted that new dialogue to explain how Vader learns the truth about Luke which is preposterous. Or it's meant to show how Vader is trying to deceive the Emperor. The only problem with that is Palpatine would never be dumb enough to believe that Vader didn't know the truth already.

It's just a bad alteration any way you look at it. Why he didn't leave the original dialogue intact I'll never know.

That's completely untrue, the scene makes perfect sense... The Sith are always trying to deceive each other... remember in RotJ when the Emperor tells Vader to wait with the ship, but Vader goes back to Palpatine's chambers? Palpatine gets all irritated at Vaders defiance. Vader answers by telling him that his son is with the rebels.... Palpatine says "Strange that I have not sensed anything. Are you sure your feelings on this matter are clear?"

Palpatine isn't completely all-knowing even though he'd like to think he is, especially on matters within the Skywalker family.

Vader is definitely playing dumb in ESB when he speaks to the Emperor. He wants more power. He wants to overthrow Palpatine, just like he mentioned to Padme some 20 odd years earlier. He wanted to rule the galaxy with her, and later he wanted to rule the galaxy with Luke.

Only in the end does he realize that life is more than just power. He goes back to the light side and sacrifices himself for the good of his son and the entire galaxy.

When the Emperor let's Vader know that he knows Anakin has a son, of course Vader isn't going to say "Yeah, I know... I was hoping to recruit him without you knowing so we could kill you." Instead he plays dumb like a good Sith
Old 06-16-05, 08:46 AM
Banned

Another possibility not mentioned is even more simple--The Emperor has found the name of the destroyer of the Death Star and connected the dots. He has told Vader the responsible party is his son. Vader literally doesn't grasp how this is possible (he was told he killed Padme, and saw her crippled--still pregnant--on Mustasfar; he's justifiably confused as to where a living child entered the equation). He is obsessed with finding Luke because a) his Master mandates it and b) he is consumed with desire to find out if this (im)possibility is, in fact, true, but until he can confront Luke first-hand and know for certain he is "the son of Anakin Skywalker", he remains perplexed and doubtful...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.