Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Au Hasard Balthazar: The Criterion Collection'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 06-10-05, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I read Bill Gibron's DVD review of Au Hasard Balthazar: The Criterion Collection at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=16251 and... It was extremely thoughtful and one of the best written reviews I have ever read. Bravo!
Old 06-12-05, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree. A very well-written review with a lot of passion for the film!!

With this said, I have to disagree with the evaluation of the picture quality. I have received an advanced screener of the film (not through DVDTALK) and believe that what Gary only partially investigates in his review at DVDBEAVER appears to be a much more serious issue. There is plenty of "ghosting" and digital shimmering highly unusual for Criterion and the manner in which they present catalog titles. I lack the proper equipment on my computer to offer some screen captures but there is strong evidence that the print used by Criterion was not progressively transferred on DVD. In addition, I would go a step further than Gary and insist on the fact that there is an obvious PAL-NTSC sourced material with this presentation of Au Hasard.... I do have some mixed feelings however regarding the actual mastering as the above mentioned "ghosting" does appear only sporadically.
Regardless, there is no doubt in me that this DVD presentation is clearly not up to the standards established in the past by Criterion. I would warn those that are planning to purchase the disc and recommend that they compare it with the already released UK r2 edition.

Regards,
Pro-B