Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

NYC people - Kim's Video - Owner in Handcuffs - Explain? [duplicate]

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-05, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So my friend went down to Kim's and saw the owner in handcuffs. Anyone in NYC see this as well? I asked another one of my friends and he confirmed it. Trying to figure out if it's because of the cd's or dvd's
Old 06-09-05, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.gawker.com/news/culture/c...-50-107222.php
Old 06-09-05, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It has to be because of the dvd's as I have seen many bootlegs for sale and some even noted as dvdr's that have a warning telling you to make sure your machine can play them as there will be no refunds if they do not work. As for the cd's all of them I have seen looked to be legitimate.
Old 06-09-05, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Fandango
It has to be because of the dvd's as I have seen many bootlegs for sale ....
It sounds like he got what he deserved....

Pro-B
Old 06-10-05, 07:09 PM
Banned

Here's the full story from today's New York Times. From other things I've read/heard, the raid was instigated by Columbia Records, complaining over some bootleg CDs the store was selling:

Police Raid Video Store in East Village in Piracy Case
By THOMAS J. LUECK
A longtime fixture in the East Village, Mondo Kim's, a mecca for independent music and video at 6 St. Marks Place, was raided and closed for five hours on Wednesday by police officers who left with boxes filled with CD's, DVD's and computer equipment. Five store employees were charged with trademark counterfeiting.

According to several employees of the store, known widely for the its independent labels, and sometimes ornery staff, the police arrived about 1 p.m. on Wednesday, and ordered all customers to leave.

Then, all of the 20 or so clerks, managers and other employees who were working in the three-floor store, which sells DVD's, CD's, books and production equipment, were told to line up on the ground floor. The police quickly identified four men and one woman and led them away in handcuffs. They ordered everyone else to leave and searched the store until about 6 p.m., when officers filed out carrying boxes.

The police said yesterday that investigators had carried out a search warrant for counterfeit trademarked goods and that the material seized included nine computer towers, a CD burner, a laptop computer, 471 compact disks and 53 videos.

The employees charged with counterfeiting were identified as Theo Frimpong, 39, of the Bronx; Diana Kinscherf, 19, of Queens; Donald Stahl, 26, and Charles Bettis, 29, both of Brooklyn; and Craig Willingham, 32, of Manhattan.

Mondo Kim's is on a block of St. Marks Place, between Second and Third Avenues, that has long been a crossroads of bohemian culture. It and three other Manhattan stores known as Kim's Video and Music are widely known among the cognoscenti of new, experimental and esoteric music and film.

Many customers seek out the four Kim's outlets for recordings they are unable to find in even the largest music stores, and they often say they patronize the St. Marks Place store despite the attitude of its staff, which is not always welcoming.

"It was a rite of passage to go in there, rent a movie and get snobbed on by some disdainful clerk," said Mike Doughty, the former singer of the band Soul Coughing.

Veterans of the East Village arts scene said the store had a devoted clientele.

"They fill a niche," said Mike Stuto, an owner of Hi Fi, a bar on Avenue A. "It's the difference between a corner bodega and a special newsstand that carries every publication you can imagine, but may not have Time magazine."