Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Never coming to DVD...so VHS as an alternative?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-05, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm wondering...can people recommend movies to me that will likely never come to DVD? I've decided to start building a small VHS collection for those titles that aren't yet released on DVD. So what I'm looking for are either good films that will never get a DVD release due to problems with music rights that popped up between the VHS release and the (lack of a) DVD release...or something of that sort). Also, the titles recommended don't have to be held up with certainty due to a pinpointed issue...I'd also like to hear any recommendations for good (preferably historic, "must own" type) films that have no DVD announcement or credible rumors, or great films that are in the works for DVD but definitely won't see the light of day for another few years.

In advance, if this has been discussed, please point me in the direction of that thread. I just didn't have any clue what to search for to find a thread of this type.

-JP
Old 06-07-05, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
moving to VHStalk
Old 06-07-05, 09:59 PM

Insightful...thanks for posting.

-JP
Old 06-07-05, 10:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VHS? What's that? Some sort of fossil?

Seriously, Thriller, asking about and wanting to start VHS collection on a DVD forum isn't the brightest idea to cross these streets in a while.

Anyway, I'm thinking of starting an 8-track collection for those obscure titles that will never see the light of day on CD.

Same difference.

If anything, your time would be better served if you went the LD route, but then again, you're talking different kinds of money. VHS is dirt cheap, LD is much more expensive and you can only find them on-line like through Ebay and such.
Old 06-07-05, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've found that whenever I give up on a title ever coming to DVD and break down and buy a VHS copy, the DVD is announced within weeks.

Like, for instance, The Wrong Guy. Heck, it wasn't even released on VHS in the US. That'll never make it to DVD, I thought. One eBay purchase later, and I'm the proud owner of a Canadian VHS copy. About a month later, a release date for the DVD is announced.
Old 06-07-05, 10:45 PM
Premium Member

Received 701 Likes on 466 Posts
All of the colorized stuff Turner did. If you are into that kinda thing.
Old 06-07-05, 10:51 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Howard The Duck
Old 06-07-05, 10:53 PM
Premium Member

Received 701 Likes on 466 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
VHS? What's that? Some sort of fossil?

Seriously, Thriller, asking about and wanting to start VHS collection on a DVD forum isn't the brightest idea to cross these streets in a while.

Anyway, I'm thinking of starting an 8-track collection for those obscure titles that will never see the light of day on CD.

Same difference.

If anything, your time would be better served if you went the LD route, but then again, you're talking different kinds of money. VHS is dirt cheap, LD is much more expensive and you can only find them on-line like through Ebay and such.
Seems like a valid question to me.

Laserdisc is usually more expensive (also less titles available - but they do have some really good quality releases and extras that haven't been to DVD). They are not exclusive to online. Check pawn shop, used record stores, and used book stores. I found several I've been looking for at those type of places.

Oh yeah... The Nude Bomb is still not on DVD, but available on LD
Old 06-07-05, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
The only ones I can think of are the titles that are only available on DVD in some extended and/or altered version, like Star Wars.
Old 06-07-05, 11:47 PM

Yeah, I'm going to pick up the Star Wars OT whenever I get a chance. Howard the Duck, and Harry and the Hendersons are another two that have sentimental value to me. Then there are three early Best Picture winners that I've been awaiting, Wings, Cimarron, and Cavalcade...so I'll probably end up buying those on VHS...just to hold me off until they get their inevitible DVD releases.

I think my question is a valid one. A lot of people seem to be fans of the format, instead of fans of cinema. Personally, I love DVD. It makes everything so much easier. Chapter stops, no rewinds, extras, better A/V quality...they're great. However, there are 8 films listed above that I can think of off the top of my head that I want to own. If they're not available on DVD (and aren't anywhere on the horizon), I'll be more than happy to settle for a VHS copy.

Since I'm starting to compile my VHS wishlist, I started this thread to see if anybody could offer some "must have" titles that I may be forgetting or overlooking. The "classic movies that are unreleased or..." thread was a big help, but I figured I'd bring everybody else out of the woodwork by blatantly asking the specific question that I have.

If people are so pro-DVD that they can't understand why I'd sacrifice a little A/V quality in order to own some noteworthy films that aren't otherwise available...well then I don't know what to say. And as for LaserDisc...I don't own a LD player, but I do have a VCR...and the titles themselves are more expensive on LD than on VHS. So that's why I decided to go with VHS when hunting down these titles that aren't available on DVD.

-JP
Old 06-08-05, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It is a valid question. The same question gets asked every week in this forum as, "What movies aren't on DVD yet?" You just changed it in a different way and some people feel the need to

Off the top of my head all I can think of are Blade Runner theatrical version and Night of the Comet. Everything else I've wanted was eventually released.
Old 06-08-05, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I think it's a valid post...hell even I have done this in the past. I thought Pirates of Silicon Valley would never come out on DVD (TNT made for tv movie from 1998, who would have thought?)
Old 06-08-05, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
A few movies I have on VHS or Beta that have never been on laserdisc or (legitimate) DVD:

Screwballs
Loose Screws
Pufnstuf
If You Don't Stop It, You'll Go Blind
Can I Do It Til I Need Glasses
Up The Academy
Hot Moves
On The Air Live With Captain Midnight
Stormy Weather
Tilt
Thank God It's Friday (LD only available with Japanese subtitles)

Also, "The Sting" has the distinction of being the only movie I can think of that has a letterboxed VHS release available, but not on LD or DVD.

Last edited by Alan Smithee; 06-08-05 at 02:57 AM.
Old 06-08-05, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I'd rather have LD than have VHS. I still have a lot of LD's of plenty of stuff that will never make it to VHS. Plenty of Criterion Collection titles that are just great. Blade Runner, Trainspotting, etc.
Old 06-08-05, 04:55 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
"The Sting"
Turner Classic Movies plays the letterbox version of this at least once a month.
Old 06-08-05, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
Of all the music ever released on vinyl less than 10% has ever made to to cd. The same will probably hold true for vhs to dvd. When hi-def dvd comes along there will be less titles released yet again. If all you're interested in is famous, well known films then those with a complicated/expensive/hostile parties rights issues are all you need to concern yourself with on vhs. If you're into more obscure, foreign, or B-films then vhs is the only way to go. I've burned probably 700 lesser known B movies to DVD from Turner Classic Movies. Republic released several dozen serials on vhs that will never be released to DVD. Personally I'd get away from vhs altogether. Transfer to DVD-R. Next time some movie comes on tv letterboxed that is only available fullscreen on DVD, record straight to DVD-R.
Old 06-08-05, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

NatrlBornThrllr, here are some of my favorite movies that I currently own on VHS. All of them are excellent, IMHO. I have no idea if or when they will be released on DVD, but in the meantime I'm enjoying having the privilege of watching them whenever I want. If/when they are finally released on DVD, I will be more than happy to re-purchase them:

A Big Hand for the Little Lady
Captain's Courageous (1937)
Executioner's Song (Made for TV)
Farmer's Wife (Excellent Documentary made for TV by PBS)
Fort Apache
Frisco Kid
Mutiny on the Bounty (1962)
Old 06-08-05, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a small VHS collection of films I am hoping will make it to DVD someday.
Old 06-08-05, 11:18 AM

My VHS-only gems (imho):

The Card (Alec Guinness)
Monsignor Quixote (AG)
Little Dorrit (AG again, among others)
Wise Blood (John Huston directed, with Brad Dourif)
One Day in the Life Of Ivan Denisovitch
Macbeth (Orson Welles)
etc.

Who knows if any of them would come to DVD? If and until that time arrives, they'll hold a prominent spot on my shelf.

(Of course, I'm still playing everything on a 27" tv with composite connections only; not exactly strectching the tech boundaires with my display, am I. . . .)
Old 06-08-05, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Pufnstuf
Tilt
Pufnstuf has been on dvd for some time now. Tilt, if you mean the poker series with Michael Madsen, is coming June 14th.
Old 06-08-05, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Forum Troll
Turner Classic Movies plays the letterbox version of this at least once a month.
Not according to their schedule...

http://www.turnerclassicmovies.com/S....html#schedule
Old 06-08-05, 11:43 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
--Wisdom
--Ladies and Gentlemen, the Fabulous Stains
Old 06-08-05, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I collect Shakespeare performances. A great Shakespeare collection these days is still half VHS, unfortunately.

In addition to some modern versions that have been very slow to show up on DVD... there are scores of terrific PBS specials, BBC shows, taped RSC or ESC productions, etc. in the 60s, 70s, 80s, etc. which are slowly disappearing -- never to see the light of day again unless they're bought on VHS and transferred to DVD yourself...

Still VHS-only:

Branagh's Hamlet
Nicole Williamson's Hamlet (w/Anthony Hopkins)
Al Pacino's "Looking for Richard" - Richard III
Olivier's Othello (1965)
Orson Wells: Macbeth & "The Chimes at Midnight"
Comedy of Errors (1978 - Judy Dench & Roger Rees)

Midsummer Night's Dream - Old Hollywood version (1935)
(James Cagney, Mickey Rooney, Olivia DeHavilland)

12th Night (Alec Guiness, Ralph Richardson, Tommy Steele) - TV 1969
King Lear (Paul Scofield, Irene Worth) 1971

The War of the Roses (1989)
(All of Shakespeare's History plays done with the same cast, like a mini-series, by the English Shakespeare Company)

etc...

Last edited by adamblast; 06-08-05 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-08-05, 12:30 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ive been waiting for Branagh's Hamlet for a LONGGGGG time. I refuse to buy a 4 VHS set
Old 06-08-05, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I may not buy tapes any longer....but I still have over 250 that are here because the dvd is mia...nothing wrong with that. The quality may be lacking, but when a real film lover has to make due....it was fine years ago, it's fine now.

I still have a few top prioritys that hopefully will make it soon....I've been waiting years.

The Other
They All Laughed
Inside Moves
THX-1138(non-enhanced)
Jane Eyre
The Addiction
Mighty Joe Young

Last edited by gutwrencher; 06-08-05 at 12:43 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.