Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

2nd Viewing of ROTS

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

2nd Viewing of ROTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-05, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd Viewing of ROTS

I'm assuming most people who visit this subforum has or will see ROTS at least a second time (or more). If you're a SW fan its hard sometimes to really soak everything in. So on the second viewing with a bit of perspective how was the second impression for you? Better? Worse? Same?

For me, my 2nd impression was worse. I've realized I like (or dislike) all three Prequels for pretty much the same reasons and like (or dislike) them equally.

*Let's not turn this into a "discussion" of why I or others are right to like or dislike ROTS. Its just a informal survey of opinions so please keep your answer and reasons short.

Last edited by IanH; 06-07-05 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-07-05, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have seen it 3 times in the theater so far...it is a lot to soak in, and in my opinion it has been more enjoyable each time...although I notice continuity errors more now, like Palps fighting with Anakins saber, and the sabers flip flopping from when Anakin and Obi Wan are grappling on the table in the duel.
Old 06-07-05, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well, I've seen iit three times now and have enjoyed each and every viewing. I also enjoyed the other prequel entries as well. I built it up far more than what I recieved but it was thrilling and satisfactory in its execution. There are definately plot holes and inconsistencies to be sure but on the whole, I was very pleased with the final effort. My only real let down is that this was it. no other theatrical entries to look forward to. I know some are more than ready for this to be over but, I'm just not one of them.
Old 06-07-05, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had read the book and completed the Ep. III XBox game before seeing the movie the first time. As a result, I think I expected too much. The battles seemed short/rushed, and I wanted more of the story. (As mentioned in other threads, a lot in the book that didn't make the film.)

Second viewing I knew what to expect, and it was DLP. (Colors were outstanding!) Enjoyed it more the second time. No line that time either..so that helps. (better seat, not all sweaty from sitting outside, etc)
Old 06-07-05, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
My 2nd viewing was better - although that was largely due to a better seat and bigger screen, and my friend treating me to the film and refreshments. Going in I know what to expect so I was able to take it for what it was. Laughed and cringed at the same parts, but overall still had a good time.
Old 06-07-05, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
we had to sit a bit close to the front on my second viewing, and with it being an imax screen I had to turn my head a little from side to side to see everything, that kind of sucked
Old 06-08-05, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
Honestly I think with the PT my subsequent viewings damage it somewhat. I start to see some flaws. Like Ep I Jake Lloyd's acting, Ep II how slow it really is. As for Ep III I think it did hold up pretty well but was a bit slower than the first viewing. But no real major flaws.

First viewing was in DLP and second was not. I could really tell the difference between the two.
Old 06-08-05, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think I've probably seen it in full about 5 times (twice in the theater) and I've watched select parts many times.

It's holding up very well.

The only prequel that hasn't held up has been AOTC, which is just barely watchable at this point for me. Watching TPM multiple times has helped it, as you sort of learn to ignore Jar-Jar on repeat viewings. Of course the problem with TPM is that NOTHING of any consequence happens in the whole movie...but that's another story.
Old 06-08-05, 01:02 PM
Retired

I still haven't got around to seeing it a second time yet. Probably won't for a while as I'll probably catch Cinderella Man and Batman Begins first.

If it's the same as my experience with the first 2, I'll like it less after a few viewings. The first time is always overated by me due to the excitement of seeing a new star wars film.
Old 06-08-05, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

ROTS held up for me on multiple viewings. I love it.

Also love AOTC. That has also held up many, many times. The last 40 minutes of that movie can NOT be topped!

TPM did NOT hold up for me! Saw it for about the 10+ time last month, and just got way too fed up w/ Jar Jar. I've always hated him, but compared to AOTC & ROTS, TPM sucks. And it's all because of Jar Jar. He's like the extra in the background of a great film trying to steal the scene. Every. Single. Time.
Old 06-08-05, 04:55 PM

I wasn't too sure what to make of it the first time around, I guess cause I spolied myself and was just looking/waiting for the key moments. Second time around I was more relaxed and really enjoyed what played out. Plan on seeing it at least once more before waiting for the DVD in November. I rarely see a movie once in the thear let alone twice and more.
Old 06-08-05, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 867 Likes on 391 Posts
I seem to be striking out. First viewing, house lights were still on dim. I didn't want to get up and possibly miss anything. Finally went off an hour into it.
2nd, was better viewing. But this theater always has a less spectacular viewing experience, and there was a lot more people/background noise going on.
But overall, the 2nd experience was better. I picked up a few more things with Palpatine's conversations with Anakin.

My next viewing (if I make it before my vacation) should be on a DLP.
Old 06-10-05, 07:16 PM
Retired

Finally caught it a second time. Had a hard time deciding whether to catch it or Cinderella Man, but it turned out that there was a CM showing right after my SW showing so I caught both.

It definitely held up. I liked it just as much as I did the first time, where with TPM and AOTC they lost a little luster after the excitement was gone.

ROTS has flaws, but not nearly as bad and derailing as the other two. It's on par with the OT nearly IMO.
Old 06-10-05, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I saw it my second time last Tuesday, and it was a vast improvment over my first viewing. The first time I had just gotten done driving from Tampa, FL to Savannah, GA, so I was a bit zoned out from that. The theater had a very dark, dirty print, and the sound would keep dropping from a normal volume level to a far too low one. I just had a hard time really getting into the movie.

My second viewing was at AMC Pleasure Island 24 at Disney World, and it was a DLP showing. AWESOME. That was the first time I saw a digitally projected movie in the theater and I am now completely sold on it. The picture quality was absolutely stunning, and the sound was just fine. The movie was much, much better the second time.
Old 06-11-05, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really enjoyed it the first time and again the second time. I enjoyed Willaims score better the second time, the little things like dialogue that presets the OT.

Watching AotC again after RotS, it holds up well. If anything it seems like two different movies, first half seems slow and meanders around, while the second is balls to the wall action.

Watching TPM again after RotS, for all the shit Jar Jar gets, I ended up skipping it to the Maul/Qui/Obi fight. Why? I hate Jake Lloyd more than Jar Jar!