Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

funny ep 3 review

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-05, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
funny ep 3 review

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse....cgi?u=episode3

Old 06-07-05, 10:41 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Old 06-07-05, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I knew it had to be Maddox. Pure gold. But in Lucas's defense the clone troopers were programmed from the get go to do anything Palpatine told them to. They turned against the Jedi because they were ordered to. It's not like they had planned it from the start.

Last edited by Mopower; 06-07-05 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-07-05, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Also, it wasn’t everyone in the republic, mostly just Palpatine.

However, I have to agree that the way he turned to the dark side was just a bit weak.
Old 06-07-05, 11:41 AM
Enormous Genitals

Originally Posted by Class316
Also, it wasn’t everyone in the republic, mostly just Palpatine.

However, I have to agree that the way he turned to the dark side was just a bit weak.

Well, the novelization explains that there was more to it than that. It was a combination of Anakin's dream/premonition that Padme would die in childbirth (apparently Anakin had had prior premonitions, all of which had come true); Anakins dissillusionment with the Jedi due to their asking him to spy on Palpatine which, due to Palpatine's inflouence, he viewed as confirmation of a Jedi plot to seize power from Palpatine; Anakin's failure to follow the Jedi teachings of giving up all emotional attachments; Palpatine's dangling hte carrot of having the power to save Padme; and finally, Anakin's compoimised judgment due to lack of sleep (because of his bad dreams).
Old 06-07-05, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Still, from the movie it just looks like he was gullible enough to believe Palpatine.

So what it really boils down to (just by watching it on screen):
  • Turn your back on someone who was like a father to you
  • Follow a Sith lord you know is evil and you know orchestrated a war you could have died in
  • Kill innocent children
  • And plenty more

For maybe learning a force power that might never have even existed to begin with.

Sorry, but the turn left me disappointed.

To add to his gullibility, he believes he restored piece to the galaxy by killing all the separatists when it was in fact Palpatine who supported them.
Old 06-07-05, 12:13 PM
Enormous Genitals

You're right, the movie makes it look like he turned evil all of a sudden and with no compelling reasons.
Old 06-07-05, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Does the movie make it clear he is aware that the Separatists are on Sidious' payroll?
Old 06-07-05, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anakins dissillusionment with the Jedi due to their asking him to spy on Palpatine
Ok, now this was a pretty weak rationale also.

Palpatine: Anakin, I'm going to put you on the Jedi Council so you can spy on them for me.

(2 minutes later)

Palpatine: The Jedi Council asked you to betray your principles and spy on me! See, I told you they were evil.
Old 06-07-05, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
Does the movie make it clear he is aware that the Separatists are on Sidious' payroll?
When he realizes "you're the Sith lord" and then tells Mace Windu.
Old 06-08-05, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Bandoman
You're right, the movie makes it look like he turned evil all of a sudden and with no compelling reasons.
Well, to be fair, there were other cases where Anakin butted heads with the jedi in episode 2 (finally getting his own assignment), Obi Wan treating him like a baby, etc. That probably made it easier to believe Sidious at the final moment when he had to make his choice. Also, the council decided not to train him initally in Episode 1...

but you're right, if you just look at Episode 3 it did seem a little quick.
Old 06-08-05, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Still, from the movie it just looks like he was gullible enough to believe Palpatine.
That's the whole point. That is what seduction is. Palpatine was seducing him with lies. He was just so good at the seduction, he played on Anakin's fears. In fact, one of the definition in Merriam Webster's dictionary for seduce is as follows.

"to lead astray usually by persuasion or false promises"

You seem to have a different understanding of what seduction is. Palpatine spends the entire film lying to Anakin, by making him believe those lies by throwing in some truth along with it.

Follow a Sith lord you know is evil and you know orchestrated a war you could have died in
All in the hope of saving a loved one. Makes sense to me. What would you do to save your wife, or mother if you knew she was going to die, and you believed you could do something to save her?

For maybe learning a force power that might never have even existed to begin with.
Who cares whether the power existed or not. The point is not that the power doesn't exist. The point is Anakin was made to believe it existed.

If you just concentrate on the one scene where he cuts off Mace's hand, it might seem that way. But you have to take the whole picture into account.

Just some alternative viewpoints.
Old 06-08-05, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Remember, one of Anakin's problems from the beginning is that he wants to help and save everyone. Remember Shmi said "He gives without any thought at all" in PM.

In AOTC, Anakin sprints off to save his mother and Obi, both against direct orders. Yes, I know Padme justifies going after Obi, but I think he could have stopped her if he truly wanted to.

In ROTS, even in the first space battle, Anakin wants to peel off and help some of the clones that are in trouble. Then he needs to save Obi, Palpatine, etc ....

What I'm trying to say is, the pattern had been pretty well built that Anakin would rush off to aid someone without really thinking about the consequences. He is blinded by good intentions, especially when it comes to Padme..
Old 06-08-05, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The cartoons were funny...the rest is not.
Old 06-08-05, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
That's very true abaout Anakin. He always let his passion drive hit (to good or evil) and that is why he was such easy prey for Palpatine.
Old 06-08-05, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought it was pretty stupid that Anakin choked her to death and then couldn't remember it. It's not as if we've seen memory lapses in the Sith in other movies.

One thing I did like was how Anakin really blurred the line between good and evil in the movie. In the other SW movies it was always "A is pure evil, and B is pure good".
Old 06-08-05, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Actually, I don't think it was that he forgot but rather his incredulity regarding what happened. Besides, she died sometime AFTER the Force Choke.
Old 06-09-05, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think one of the main points not really touched on much in discussion was that Anakin thinks he is doing the right thing. He actually belives the Jedi are betraying the Republic and they are the traiters. When Mace is going to kill Palpatine, Anakin protests that it is wrong and against the Jedi code and he needs to stand trial. Yes he wants to save Padme too. All are noble. A famous quote is "the road to hell is paved with good intentions.)

Once he gives in to the Emperor, the Dark Side completely takes over. At this point there is no turning back so he follows orders to the fullest. The more atrocities he commits, the less humanity he has and the harder it is to resist. By this point he knows he is doing wrong, but Darth Vader has taken over. (I felt it was a really powerful scene when they showed Vader looking over the river of lava after killing the Nute Gunnery and the others with a single tear running down his cheek.)

Last edited by cactusoly; 06-09-05 at 12:15 AM.
Old 06-09-05, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Superboy
I thought it was pretty stupid that Anakin choked her to death and then couldn't remember it.
He didn't choke her to death. When he stopped, she was still medically fine -- as confirmed by the droid later. That's what he's saying when you think he appears to forget. That when he left her, she was fine.
Old 06-09-05, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by cactusoly
I think one of the main points not really touched on much in discussion was that Anakin thinks he is doing the right thing. He actually belives the Jedi are betraying the Republic and they are the traiters. When Mace is going to kill Palpatine, Anakin protests that it is wrong and against the Jedi code and he needs to stand trial. Yes he wants to save Padme too. All are noble. A famous quote is "the road to hell is paved with good intentions.)
He protests it’s wrong not because it’s the code he lives by, but because he wanted to learn the ability to prevent death. The evidence of this is him killing Dooku.
Old 06-09-05, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Class316
He protests it’s wrong not because it’s the code he lives by, but because he wanted to learn the ability to prevent death. The evidence of this is him killing Dooku.

That is part of it (a big part) but he also thinks he is doing the right thing. He also belives that he finally brought peace to the Galaxy so the end justifies the means.
Old 06-09-05, 11:04 AM

also check out this parody

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=s...&width=640&r=j
Old 06-10-05, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by cactusoly
Once he gives in to the Emperor, the Dark Side completely takes over. At this point there is no turning back...
Except, of course, in ROTJ.
Old 06-10-05, 10:19 AM
Enormous Genitals

Originally Posted by grapejuice12

That is great!
Old 06-10-05, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

wow this is awesome! Here's a direct link: http://x102.putfile.com/videos/c7-4522331956.wmv