Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Pride and Prejudice Full Trailer!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-05, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here

Old 06-06-05, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well since British period pieces are a guilty pleasure of mine and Sense and Sensibility is one of my all time favs, I will be there opening night...The only thing that would make this any better for me would be if it had Kiera Knightly and Kate Winslet.
Old 06-06-05, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 353 Likes on 229 Posts
I'll be there opening day. Not sure how it will compare with the A&E version (since it will be cut to make it movie length), but it's sure to be an improvement over the 1940 movie.

Last edited by tasha99; 06-06-05 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-07-05, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked the trailer (loved the usage of the Love Actually music in it). Hopefully this will be a good adaptation.
Old 06-07-05, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It took me a while to remember that guy in the film was Tom on Spooks (MI-5) on the BBC.
Old 06-08-05, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I liked the 1940 vesion of P&P as well as the mini-series (as well as Sense and Sensibility). Totally not feeling this new Darcy though, so I'm a little worried.
Old 06-08-05, 11:45 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Saw this in front of Cinderella Man -- looks like it is well done.
Old 06-08-05, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by iggystar
I liked the 1940 vesion of P&P as well as the mini-series (as well as Sense and Sensibility). Totally not feeling this new Darcy though, so I'm a little worried.
I couldn't handle the change of era in the 1940 version, or the way they changed Lady Catherine de Burgh's character at the end. As a movie, I didn't think it was bad, but I'm kind of a P&P purist. The costumes in the trailer here look a few years later than the book to me (more color, heavier fabric), but I might be wrong because it's been years since I read up on that stuff.

As for the guy playing Darcy, Matthew McFaddyen has the sexiest voice in movies today. He's smoking even in Enigma, where he plays a guy with half his face burned off (guess voice/accent trumps looks where I'm concerned). Even if the movie is total crap, I'd probably buy the dvd just because I love listening to him speak.
Old 06-08-05, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Look horribly boring.
Old 06-09-05, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by tasha99
As for the guy playing Darcy, Matthew McFaddyen has the sexiest voice in movies today. He's smoking even in Enigma, where he plays a guy with half his face burned off (guess voice/accent trumps looks where I'm concerned). Even if the movie is total crap, I'd probably buy the dvd just because I love listening to him speak.
I watched the trailer again to hear this amazing voice. I couldn't get the full effect considering my PC's crappy speakers and the buffering on the trailer, but it didn't sound bad.

For me, P&P is all about Darcy. Laurence Olivier and Colin Firth have very strong, regal faces and they do the brooding, stern thing very well. Excellent Darcys. Matthew M. looks a little pedestrian to me, however, I can be turned around with good costumes and a good performance (ever heard me rant about how sexy Alan Rickman was in Sense and Sensibility?). Besides I love when a performance rises above my expectation, makes it even better. You never know I could be drooling over him right along with you once I see it.

It's been eons since I've seen the 1940's version, back in high school (after reading the book). I just remember liking the actors and being pretty entertained. Not being a fan of older movies I took everything else with a grain of salt.

Hey, were you the one who posted about the changes made in that movie (which I couldn't remember) at the imdb website?
Old 06-09-05, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I want more Indians singing.
Old 06-09-05, 08:30 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Good gravy. How many versions of this do we need? This has got to be one of the most-filmed novels ever written.
Old 06-09-05, 11:11 AM
Cool New Member

This is actually only the second film version ever to be made. The first one is from 1940.
There are quite a number of tv versions, though.
Old 06-09-05, 11:13 AM

There was a modern-day version that came out just last year. It's currently playing on one of the Showtime channels.

There's also the recent Bride and Prejudice from Bollywood.

Not to mention Bridget Jones Diary.
Old 06-09-05, 11:19 AM
Cool New Member

True, but I wouldn't count any of those as real adaptations.
Old 06-09-05, 11:23 AM

If we're going to play that game, then I count the TV adaptations as films.
Old 06-09-05, 11:39 AM
Cool New Member

It's not a game. Surely there is a big difference between trying to retell a story faithfully and deliberately altering it in very radical ways.
And the TV adaptations are by definition not films. They are adaptations, though. No doubt about that part.
Old 06-09-05, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
The 6 hour BBC masterpiece isn't a film?
Old 06-09-05, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by iggystar
I watched the trailer again to hear this amazing voice. I couldn't get the full effect considering my PC's crappy speakers and the buffering on the trailer, but it didn't sound bad.

For me, P&P is all about Darcy. Laurence Olivier and Colin Firth have very strong, regal faces and they do the brooding, stern thing very well. Excellent Darcys. Matthew M. looks a little pedestrian to me, however, I can be turned around with good costumes and a good performance (ever heard me rant about how sexy Alan Rickman was in Sense and Sensibility?). Besides I love when a performance rises above my expectation, makes it even better. You never know I could be drooling over him right along with you once I see it.

It's been eons since I've seen the 1940's version, back in high school (after reading the book). I just remember liking the actors and being pretty entertained. Not being a fan of older movies I took everything else with a grain of salt.

Hey, were you the one who posted about the changes made in that movie (which I couldn't remember) at the imdb website?
Not me at imdb (I rarely post there and almost always regret it when I do. I bet a P&P board would be civil, but that forum needs way more moderation than it gets).

Not sure how he'll be in this movie, but I've kept Enigma on my Tivo for months. He sounds good in The Reckoning, too, though it was sort of a mediocre movie. (Yeah, I know it's ridiculous. There's an episode in Black Books with Fran and her own sexy-voice-guy, and I feel a tad pathetic for being able to empathize).

Originally Posted by Udpint
True, but I wouldn't count any of those as real adaptations.
What's the word then for when something is altered drastically? Maybe because they're only going from play to movie rather than book to movie, I've always heard people use "adaptation" for reinterpretations of plays such as "O" or "10 Things I Hate About You." Is there another word for that? How about when a book is changed drastically to a move (like "Clueless," which is very similar to "Emma.")
Old 06-09-05, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by brizz
The 6 hour BBC masterpiece isn't a film?
It was shot on film and it blends together as a long (five hour, not six) movie quite well I think. And it is a masterpiece. Far and away my favorite DVD in my collection (P&P is also my most read book).

I have mixed feelings about this. I consider the BBC/A&E 200th anniversary production of P&P the best adaptation of any novel ever done. I really can't see it being topped, especially by a heavily condensed movie length version. But I will certainly give this new one a try and hope for the best.
Old 06-09-05, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by lizard

I have mixed feelings about this. I consider the BBC/A&E 200th anniversary production of P&P the best adaptation of any novel ever done. I really can't see it being topped, especially by a heavily condensed movie length version. But I will certainly give this new one a try and hope for the best.
I agree. I think the only mistake in the A&E version is the big, floating ghost head of Darcy. A voice over without that added little visual would have sufficed. It's my most read book and most watched dvd too.
Old 08-29-05, 04:24 PM

I saw this movie yesterday. It's definitely a Chick flick so that's why my wife and mother-in-law loved it. I thought the movie was enjoyable but being able to drool over Keira for two hours is always fun. Seriously though, the film was good. It had some humor that really helped the film along and the period was very interesting. Cinematography was great too!
Old 11-23-05, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This film will make you chuckle and laugh, cry and sniffle. Keira Knightley is really good as Elizabeth, and her entire performance anchors the film in a sublime extension of romantic longing, while projecting strength against societal expectations.

If you're a fan of Jane Austen novels, this latest film adaptation of "Pride and Prejudice" won't disappoint you.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.

Last edited by Patman; 11-23-05 at 07:58 PM.