Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Dead Ringers'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-05, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Scott Weinberg's DVD review of Dead Ringers at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=16075 and...
I agree with every word. Jeremy Irons' performance as both twins is quite amazing and [spoiler alert] when one twin pretends to be the other, if you've been paying any kind of attention, you immediately realize what is going on as Irons has so well defined the nuances of the twins.

On a side note, I've just been reading "The Carnivorous Carnival (A Series of Unfortunate Events, Book 9)" by Lemony Snicket and in it two of the main characters hide in a freak show by pretending to be a two-headed person. How does this tie in? One head is named Beverly and the other Elliott, an homage, I can only assume, to this exceptional film.
Old 06-06-05, 07:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad you enjoyed the review. Thanks for reading!

(Never read the Lemony books, but it sounds like a clear reference to me!)
Old 06-12-05, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Research indicates that Dead Ringers was originally shot in a 1.33:1 aspect ratio, which may help to explain why this widescreen transfer is not as sterling as it could be.
The film was shot 4:3 but Cronenberg's preferred aspect ratio is 1:66.1, which is how the film was formatted on the OOP Criterion. Hope that helps.
Old 01-21-12, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts
Re: DVD Talk review of 'Dead Ringers'

I found the film to be very disturbing considering it wasn't SF or horror like Cronenberg's The Fly.

Spoiler:

Beverley's downward spiral is hard to watch, and when he brings out his customized medical instruments, it's a little revolting at first.

I will say, that Iron's performance is immaculate. Usually when an actor plays twins the viewer is aware of it, like DiCaprio's characters in The Man In The Iron Mask, the perfectly good one and the despicably evil one.

Here one is described as the nice one, the other as "the shit," but they are very similar but as noted, have slight differences that make it totally convincing. You'd might as well believe the part was played by two different actors.