Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anime: Region free imports or domestic? Which is better?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Anime: Region free imports or domestic? Which is better?

Old 06-05-05, 02:16 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anime: region free imports or domestic? Which is better?

I was at my comic book store Friday night to pick up my weekly fix and decided to look at their anime imports. I've shopped at this store for a while now but never looked at the anime; wish I had though as I was surprised at what I found: complete series/seasons sets for $39.99, movies that have yet to come out domesticially for $19.99 or less, and more.

Because the prices were far better than those of Best Buy or Suncoast, I'm tempted to pick up some of the complete series/seasons sets that I saw but I've never bought imports before; anime or otherwise. For anyone that has bought import anime, what's the quality like? I'd assume it's good but I'd hate to spend money on something when my store has a no exhanges or refunds policy.

So, from a quality standpoint, what's the better option: Go with low-priced imports or wait it out for domestic releases?

Last edited by Gotham_Knight; 06-05-05 at 02:37 AM.
Old 06-05-05, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those "complete series" for 39.99 sets are all bootlegs. Infact, if you really look at Region 2 anime dvds, you'll notice that each disc actually has only one or two episodes on each disc and run for about 30-50 per disc.

I would stick to the good ol' Region 1 dvds you find at best buy and suncoast. Those "complete series" disc are usually just the fansubbed that float around on the internet as we speak burned on a dvd. Since each episode is about 200mb's, they can usually fit a good number of episodes on each dvd-r.

I would highly advise staying away from those bootlegs. Really, it doesn't serve any purpose. Anime companies really don't have a problem in the fansub groups aslong as they respect the domestic rights and stop creating the fansubs for a series as soon as it gets the license agreements done for region 1 set. So in theory, you are paying 40 bucks to the pirate when the material is already free.

The quality of some of those fansubs can really suck at times. Other times, like in the case of Cowboy bebop, it's a pirated bootleg dvd of the Region 1 disc. So either way, you are getting fucked.

My advice. Don't bother. Those aren't imported in the true sense of the words. Those are pirated. The quality can vary a great deal and it doesn't support the industry at all. Atleast with free fansubs, you can test out the product for free (much like TV on DVD) and then choose to buy it and give that money to the proper distribution company for picking it up.
Old 06-05-05, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I see some of these set's that go for like 140 buck's and only have 26 or so episode's,now with that said go with the bootleg's,of coarse people are going to buy them when the price's are outrageous for what you get,im not saying boot everything but these company's have to learn somehow,lower the price's less boot's,it's that simple,anime company's are commiting robbery.

Last edited by nemein; 06-06-05 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-05-05, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Have to learn somehow? What the hell are you talking about? You do realize that the cost to bring a show over here is far more than you think.

First off you have to pay for the distribution rights. This in a nutshell can be a complex matter on figuring out what will sell and what will bomb. Those distribution rights alone are rather huge and for some popular series, it can really get up there.

Next you have to toss in all the extra work of dubbing it and subtitling it to make sure that it translate well. This is a costly process and it's reflective to the price.

To top it off you have the final reason why anime is expensive... IT'S A GOD DAMN NICHE MARKET!!!! It's not for everyone and much like how Shrek can sell for $10 at walmart and a smaller, less popular titles like Garden State, I <3 Huckabee's and Kinsey are up there in the $20 + range is because they aren't as mass produced and wont sell as much as Shrek. So you have to price it higher.

Don't like the price? Don't buy it. I would love to drive a nice Porsche. But should I car jack one simply becase the company is committing robbery on the prices so average joes like me can't get in on that? No. Live within your means. If you can't afford something, is it ok to steal it? If you can't afford something then tough.

And buying bootlegs does hurt them even more so. So if you do buy them you will only be contributing in making those anime dvd prices go higher instead of "showing them!" Because the small niche market that they have is now being devided into those who bootleg and those who actually support the distributors.

I would strongly suggest not buying bootlegs. The quality isn't anything to brag about, the fan subbing can often be very spotty and being typical "engrish" and worse of all, you are taking money that would have supported the distribution company which would be their indication that you actually want more of that type of anime. So you will get less titles getting the treatment they deserve.

That's like saying "Criterion is to fuck'n expensive! I'm going to buy only bootlegs of their stuff so I can stick it to them and they will be forced to lower prices". It doesn't work that way and you really have issues if you think it does. They don't make money and they can't continue doing the work and it's an expensive process.
Old 06-05-05, 03:33 PM

Those import are nothing more than bootlegs!!

Avoid, Avoid, AVOID!!

about 5 years ago when I was starting my DVD collection, I bought those so called imports (Yu Yu Hakkeshu - US didn't license them at that time) from my local comic book shop(they told me it was NOT bootleg and said it was legit, that it was cheap only because they are import!)

Well, I have to say that was the biggest mistake. They crammed more than 10 episodes to 1 disc (Horrible, horrible video quality) They took out the opening, ending, and previews. And The translation was so bad that even kindergarden kids could do better - I didn't understand more than half of the dialogues.

Avoid them at all cost - and please support the US release. It does take lot of money and time to distribute anime in US. If you think it is too expensive, and not worth the money, then just don't buy them. But seriously, don't steal them and give money to those @#$%* bootleggers. Personally, I've learned my lesson and will never buy any bootlegs.
Old 06-05-05, 04:59 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Bandai and ADV are starting to lower the prices of their domestic releases, as well as some other labels. For example, Silent Mobius Complete will be priced at $19.99 MSRP! That's freakin' amazing for 600mins. Other quality titles like Infinite Ryvius will now be under $50. Other R1 stuff I just wait to pick up used on Half.com/eBay or Amazon.
For cost/quality reasons alone it's best to go domestic.

I'm really glad some of the studios picked up on how the high cost (especially on older titles) was really driving the bootleg market here in the US.
Old 06-05-05, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm really glad some of the studios picked up on how the high cost (especially on older titles) was really driving the bootleg market here in the US
It's less to do with actually how much bootlegs are eating into their profit to anime becoming more mainstream and selling more units.

The more units you are selling, the cheaper you can sell it since you can get a cheaper price on the bigger orders at the factory.

A lot of those classic titles have also made a lot of their money back so of course they can lower the price. The problem comes along the lines of if folks are buying these bootlegs, then the studios will be selling fewer and fewer and thus having to raise the price of the units.

Bootlegs = bad.
Supporting the industry = good and future lower prices.
Old 06-06-05, 07:43 AM
Mod Emeritus

Given that these sound like bootleg copies, I'm going to have to close this thread.