DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

25% off TV DVDs at Tower

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-05, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
25% off TV DVDs at Tower

I got a mailing from Tower Records.
It included a DVD with the first episode of Entourage.
There were two coupons - one for 25% off the regular price of any TV show on DVD good only at the B&M and a second one for $5 off any TV show on DVD good only online.

Anyone else get this?
Tower is notoriously overpriced so I am wonder if it is even worth the drive to the local store to check for a good deal with the 25% off coupon.
Old 06-03-05, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
Tower is notoriously overpriced so I am wonder if it is even worth the drive to the local store to check for a good deal with the 25% off coupon.
Stay home.

25% off the regular (MSRP) price can be beat for virtually every title at one or more of our regular haunts (Deep Discount, DVD Empire, DVD Planet, etc.).
Old 06-03-05, 11:57 PM

wait for DDD's 20% off
Old 06-04-05, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used the $5 off online one to get the Family Guy Freakin Sweet DVD for 9.99. (but I had to add a CD too to get free shipping.) I suspect that the $5 off works on anything, even sale items.
Old 06-05-05, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by marty888
Stay home.

25% off the regular (MSRP) price can be beat for virtually every title at one or more of our regular haunts (Deep Discount, DVD Empire, DVD Planet, etc.).
Yeah....

Definitely a place to avoid. But when DVD was introduced, I went to Tower every Tues for the first year. No other B+M got new releases on schedule.
Old 06-05-05, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by sirbrady
Yeah....

Definitely a place to avoid. But when DVD was introduced, I went to Tower every Tues for the first year. No other B+M got new releases on schedule.
I used to do the same for records & CDs. Now there prices are so out of whack compared to just about everybody else, it's crazy. Wonder how they stay in business?
Old 06-05-05, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by theMadness
I used to do the same for records & CDs. Now there prices are so out of whack compared to just about everybody else, it's crazy. Wonder how they stay in business?
Their Tuesday-only new release sales sometimes are the same or better than BB and other B&M's. They have special events bringing in local as well as national talent for midnight signing "parties" (not that often though). Also for the classical interest, they have a great selection better than other B&M's......and for the biggest reason, everytime I go in there the parking lot is about 2/3 full, people are browsing, carrying selections and buying -- probably not doing research and impulse, take it where I can get it and the people there are knowledgeable, especially in the classic section, as from some of the questions I have overheard.

One thing I like about them is that sometimes they have hard-to-find albums and DVD's. I generally buy online from them rather than in-store, unless "impulse" and online they tend to have coupons and some hard-to-find and stuff not in the stores.

IMO.
Old 06-05-05, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by forumsmy
Their Tuesday-only new release sales sometimes are the same or better than BB and other B&M's. They have special events bringing in local as well as national talent for midnight signing "parties" (not that often though). Also for the classical interest, they have a great selection better than other B&M's......and for the biggest reason, everytime I go in there the parking lot is about 2/3 full, people are browsing, carrying selections and buying -- probably not doing research and impulse, take it where I can get it and the people there are knowledgeable, especially in the classic section, as from some of the questions I have overheard.

One thing I like about them is that sometimes they have hard-to-find albums and DVD's. I generally buy online from them rather than in-store, unless "impulse" and online they tend to have coupons and some hard-to-find and stuff not in the stores.

IMO.

I concede the point on books, and to a lesser degree, the music, but where I am, at least for DVDs, the "sale" prices are usually the same as most B&M regular prices, even on Tuesday - they can't touch Fry's. The parking lot is usually about 1/3 full & that's again for the book store. The video store has a few folks who are there for the rentals, though they do carry some unusual titles ala Borders (albeit full retail).
Old 06-05-05, 12:18 PM
Banned

I like Tower Records. They sometimes sell catalog cds for $7.99-$8.99.
And their barely used section is great, I got the brand new (at the time) Tom Waits cd for like $6.
Old 06-05-05, 12:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DerangedHermit
wait for DDD's 20% off

Isn't it supposed to be like anytime now. Last years sales, if I remember correctly, were in June and November. So, the 20% off sale should be happening pretty soon, right?