Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : French fighters forced to land in NJ

mikehunt
06-03-05, 06:22 PM
http://www.wnbc.com/news/4564225/detail.html
French Fighter Jets Forced To Land In N.J.

POSTED: 8:12 am EDT June 3, 2005
UPDATED: 12:22 pm EDT June 3, 2005

POMONA, N.J. -- Nine French fighter jets and a radar plane stayed overnight at Atlantic City International Airport after one suffered a mechanical problem and bad weather prevented them from returning to their aircraft carrier off the Virginia coast, authorities said Friday.

The planes, low on fuel, initially asked for permission to land Thursday at a United States military installation but lacked the clearance number, said Noel Clay, a spokesman for the U.S. State Department.

The planes, which had been conducting military exercises, then sought and received permission for emergency landings at the airport here around 3:45 p.m. They were parked overnight on an FAA ramp at the airport and had clearance to take off at noon to return to the French aircraft carrier de Gaulle, off the coast of Virginia.

One of the jets had mechanical problems, said Holly Baker, an FAA spokeswoman whose office is at the airport.

<b>There was a further complication, according to a broadcast report. One of the pilots tried to buy fuel Thursday and couldn't because he didn't have the available funds on his credit card, according to Philadelphia television station WPVI-TV.</b>

Baker said two of the pilots, accompanied by FAA security, stayed with the planes overnight. She could not confirm the report about the failed gasoline purchase.

DaveNinja
06-03-05, 06:23 PM
The French surrendered to New jersey?

Baron Of Hell
06-03-05, 06:25 PM
freedom fighters darn it. We call them freedom fighters now.

Sdallnct
06-03-05, 06:37 PM
Ummm the French have an aircraft carrier? And it is off our cost? And their polite doesn't use American Express????

Big Dave
06-03-05, 06:39 PM
It's a trap. The invasion has begun!

Myster X
06-03-05, 07:12 PM
There was a further complication, according to a broadcast report. One of the pilots tried to buy fuel Thursday and couldn't because he didn't have the available funds on his credit card, according to Philadelphia television station WPVI-TV.

rotflrotflrotfl

Giantrobo
06-03-05, 07:31 PM
Pomona NJ? I didn't know there was another Pomona other than the one in California.

Jason
06-03-05, 07:33 PM
There was a further complication, according to a broadcast report. One of the pilots tried to buy fuel Thursday and couldn't because he didn't have the available funds on his credit card, according to Philadelphia television station WPVI-TV.

rotflrotflrotfl

I would imagine a plane's worth of jet fuel would be rather expensive.

Aphex Twin
06-03-05, 07:37 PM
Pomona NJ? I didn't know there was another Pomona other than the one in California.

In Flordia, there's a Hollywood, Orange County, and Beverly Hils.

ukywyldcat
06-03-05, 07:37 PM
"French fighters" may be the best example of an oxymoron I've ever heard of.

Mopower
06-03-05, 07:43 PM
I don't buy the pilot tried to buy fuel story. I can see one fighter running out of fuel and having to land but 9? How does that happen? This story doesn't make any sense.

DVD Polizei
06-03-05, 07:45 PM
Losers.

Oh wait. I meant to say...Lew-zairs.

Giantrobo
06-03-05, 08:57 PM

I knew about those. But not Pomona.

Bacon
06-03-05, 08:59 PM
Flordia?

;)

Squirrel God
06-03-05, 09:00 PM
They clearly did it on purpose to take advantage of cheap US fuel prices.

Phil L.
06-03-05, 10:49 PM
The big appeal of fueling up in NJ is that we don't have self serve, you are not forced to pump your own.
The pilots probably pulled up and waited for the pump jockeys to come over to them.

strife
06-03-05, 11:08 PM
new strategy go to the countries to surrender less damage to them.

Max Bottomtime
06-03-05, 11:37 PM
Perhaps if the US had more help in the Middle East, gas prices would be lower. :D

General Zod
06-03-05, 11:49 PM
http://www.code7r.org/Bintoons/images/soldierofsurrender_1.jpg

Cusm
06-04-05, 12:55 AM

In Oklahoma we have a Miami (so does Ohio), but the hicks here pronounce it MY-ama. There is a Nevada, Mo and they call it Ni-VADa.

Heat
06-04-05, 01:45 AM
Pretty funny that the US military wouldn't give gas to the French fighter planes.

I wonder if they were armed with Exocets? Those are some pretty bad-ass missiles, just ask the British, they saw some in the Falklands.