Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Ong-Bak: The Thai Warrior --> Aug. 30th!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-05, 11:04 AM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

20th Century Fox Home Entertainment will release this highly anticipated DVD on Aug. 30th. SRP is set for $27.98.

Specs:
Audio: Thai: Dolby 5.1 / English: Stereo.
Language: Thai / Dubbed: English / Subtitles: English & Spanish.
Theatrical Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1.

Bonus Features: Music video featuring Tony Jaa, Making of the music video, The 8 movements of Muay Thai, Behind-the-scenes stunt footage, Tony Jaa performance at French screening, Tony Jaa performance at NBA game, Promotional vidieo featuring The RZA, Trailer featuring The RZA, & Additional Trailers.
Old 06-03-05, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like a double dip is in the works just look at those extras.
Old 06-03-05, 12:23 PM

Finally!
Old 06-03-05, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Sweet! Can't wait for this release.
Old 06-03-05, 12:54 PM

looks good on paper.

anyone able to find a cover picture?
Old 06-03-05, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Very cool. Tony is the man
Old 06-03-05, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Uncut?
Old 06-03-05, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
"Making of the music video" ? ? ?

Very lame extras.
Old 06-03-05, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ytrez
Uncut?
if you mean, the original hk version, then no, but violence wise, this version is uncut (see alternate versions on imdb, just be warned there are spoilers.)

surprised a bit that fox is releasing the dvd. mainly because magnolia pictures (most of their work is released on dvd by lions gate) and a whole bunch of other companies released the movie in theaters.
Old 06-03-05, 09:31 PM

nice. never got around to seeing it in theaters.
Old 06-03-05, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
must buy for me.

the movie wasn't great but the action was simply amazing.
Old 06-03-05, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by marty888
"Making of the music video" ? ? ?

Very lame extras.
If you've seen the online clips of his performances at the screening and the Mavs halftime show...the extras would seem to be anything but lame. Those alone are all I need, but when you toss in some behind the scenes stunts, and a music video with even more Jaa action...I'm content.

Oh, by the way: FINALLY.

-JP
Old 08-27-05, 01:20 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

I watched the R1 last night, and the subtitles were irregular. They were close-captioning style, so they indicated things like different people speaking, in what language they were speaking, and sound effects. I tried restarting and reselecting more than once, but it kept coming up like this. Anyone else have this problem? Isn't that what happened with GHOST IN THE SHELL II?

The extras are indeed lame, too. The live performance isn't shown in its entirety, but in a poorly shot montage that only lasts a couple of minutes.
Old 08-27-05, 01:24 PM

definate must rent
Old 08-28-05, 07:59 AM
JM1

Ong Bak

I got this a few days ago, and watched it last night. Whoever did the subtitles should be hung - they are indeed closed captioning style and are overly descriptive to the point of being distracting and very annoying.

During fight scenes when the camera cuts to a reaction shot away from the fighters, the subtitles constantly flashes up "punches landing". They also attempt to describe the music, such as "techno", and at one point during a chase scene says "man singing", but I'm darned if I could hear it!

The extras are also less than impressive. The scenes of Jaa performing at the premiere are short and of poor quality, the music video and making of are lame, and indeed the only thing genuinely interesting is the B rool footage.

As for the film, well as a film it leaves a lot to be desired, being a highly derivative throwback to those cliched 70's style lone-hero-must-fight-to-save-village efforts.

The techno music often grates, as does the female lead's voice, and Tony Jaa himself lacks the acting ability and charisma of some of his comtemporaries like Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan.

But the sole reason to get this is for the extraordinary fight sequences. This is real stuff, no wires, no cgi, no stunt doubles. Punches and kicks land on heads, faces, legs, chests often making you wince. Elbows and knees are used to devastating effect, and the fighting style (Muay Thai) owes more to Thai kickboxing than Kung Fu. Jaa is an incredible athlete, able to twist and contort his body around his opponents to deliver devastating blows, and also possesing the ability to seemingly fly over peoples heads using them as stepping stones, walk up walls, do multiple back flips and somersaults, and is also not afraid to take a few punches and kicks himself.

OK, the tendency for the filmakers to repeat some of the stunts from different angles can be annoying, but they are quite incredible.

I hear Jaa's next film Tom Yun Goon is also getting good reviews, and sounds a little more polished and professional. Looking forward to that one.
Old 08-28-05, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
is there a way to email fox and have them change it? it worked with ghost in the shell.
Old 08-28-05, 07:53 PM

That's horrible news. I'll be holding off for a hopeful re-release. This is my most anticipated DVD release of the year, just a touch ahead of King Kong, so this is a huge let-down. We'll see how things pan out.

-JP
Old 08-29-05, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How the hell do they release a dvd without knowing the subtitles are actually closed captions?
Old 08-30-05, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Why didn't they use the subs that are on the R0 PAL release? It is the same one that was on the theatrical release in the U.S. BTW, the R0 release blows this one away. Now I'm just waiting for the R2 for the Bey Logan commentary.
Old 08-30-05, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
This is a bummer man.
Old 08-30-05, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I understand why standard subtitles would be better, but I've never had a problem with the "closed caption" style subtitles on any other relesaes. At least not enough or a problem to complain about. My wife is not a native English speaker, and although her English is perfect, she still can have a hard time understanding dialogue if they have a strong accent (southern, new england, etc), or if there's a lot of background noise.

We usually have subtitles on with every film we watch, even if it's already in English, and I've grown accustomed to this, and even put on subtitles when it's just me watching. It sounds like Ong Bak may be a bit excessive in describing the sound effects (I haven't watched it, as I have the Thai disc), but I don't mind a "Door opens" or [over the phone] caption to come up every now and then..
Old 08-30-05, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just picked up the Canadian version of the Ong Bak dvd. The cover is different fm the US version, plus it comes in a limited steel case similar to the limited edition of Appleseed.
Old 08-30-05, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Cardiac161
I just picked up the Canadian version of the Ong Bak dvd. The cover is different fm the US version, plus it comes in a limited steel case similar to the limited edition of Appleseed.
if you don't mind me asking, where did you get this dvd from? Could you post a link or something please? Thanks.
Old 08-30-05, 10:40 PM

I caved.

-JP
Old 08-30-05, 11:53 PM

What is the difference between the cut and uncut versions? Thanks!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.