Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Home recorded -/+ R disc on players?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-05, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Hello

Having just got a new recorder (Panasonic ES-10) and having two Pioneer DVD players (563 & Elite 50V) was wondering if others have encountered playing issues with -/+ R discs? Now I've seen where those you used a pc burner had no problem or at least very few playing -/+R discs on home players.

I tried Maxwell +R I got at Wally world and though thePQ and sound was pretty good playing thru the new Panasonic they didn't play on the Pioneer's. So before I rush out and get a stack of DVD-R's I just wanted some feedback in terms of playable discs.

Thanks
Kenny J.
Old 06-03-05, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got this burner, too. I have only tried TDK DVD-Rs so far. They play on my Denon 2900, Malata N996, and Go Video DVD/VHS made by LG.
Old 06-04-05, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Its pretty much a crapshoot. You have to hit the jackpot, right player, burner, and media.

My old school Toshiba SD2109 has never played any burned DVD (across three burners, five media brands, and three speed discs), but all of a sudden it will play DVD burned on my new NEC drive, provided its Fuji 8X discs.

I'd hit up http://www.videohelp.com/ under DVD Players and see what media works best with your player.
Old 06-04-05, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
Well I bit the bullet yesterday and gave the Maxwell DVD-R disc a shot this time and yes it played flawlessly in both Pioneer's. I recorded Seabiscuit last night and put the ES-10 in "FR" mode based on the suggestion on another forum. I picked Seabiscuit since it has a wide range of colors from lots of dark blacks to the bight colors on the jocky's shirts. Plus some good motion with color contrast like the shots of the horse races themselves.

To me the PQ was excellent with sharp edges, where blacks were blacks and colors were well reproduced. The Maxweel disc turned out a very good recording and played just right on both Pioneer's. I'm thinking of getting pack of Fuji's anyway though the Verbatims are also on my list. I usally go at the www.cdfreaks.com site for all burning questions. Most of it deals with the pc side more than home recorders. It's still good for media input. I do visit www.videohelp.com but also www.avsforum.com to.

Kenny J.
Old 06-04-05, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
All the discs recorded on my Philips stand-alone and on my computer have played on my 7 year old Pioneer DVL-909 (LD/DVD player). It has a hard time with some discs I've gotten made by other people though.
Old 06-05-05, 02:17 PM

My Pioneer 563a has played everything I've put in it, except a disc burned on a Gateway standalone burner. Something about standalone burners. I prefer a pc burner, for several reasons. For all +/- R questions (cd or dvd), a great place is:
http://forums.afterdawn.com/
Enjoy...........
Old 06-07-05, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My ES-10 hasn't made any unwatchable discs so far. Maybe you need to change the settings in your Setup menu. There could be something in your setup that's making the discs unplayable on other DVD decks.