Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Lords of Dogtown" -- anyone see it?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-05, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

I just saw a screening of "Lords of Dogtown" this evening, and as an adult who has been skating now for 15 years, I was pleasantly surprised. Reviews of the film are somewhat lukewarm, but I think this is the best nondocumentary movie about skateboarding. It definetely blows the recent "Grind" out of the water -- a movie that sought to exploit the recent "extreme sports" marketing craze.

"Dogtown" works because Stacey Peralta's writing depicts skateboarders honestly and with respect -- not a surprise since Peralta is one of the characters in the movie. If you enjoy this film, you'll probably enjoy the documentary "Dogtown and Z Boyz," which was written and directed by Peralta.
Old 06-03-05, 03:52 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
saw this a couple of months ago and while i thought i could have gone a little deeper, i walked away with a positive reaction to it. heath ledger does his best val kilmer and it was nice to see some actors from elephant and raising victor vargas getting more work.
Old 06-03-05, 04:38 AM

I agree, Heath Ledger was very Kilmeresque.
Old 06-03-05, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As part of this movie was filmed a couple of blocks from my house (the beach scenes were filmed in Imperial Beach, CA) I'll definately check it out.
Old 06-03-05, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I never heard of it.
Old 06-03-05, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by scott shelton
I never heard of it.
R U serious?!! OMG!!!!!11
Old 06-03-05, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
R U serious?!! OMG!!!!!11
0/5.

I just saw the flick and I liked it. Not a great film by any means, but an enjoyable way to pass two hours during an afternoon.
Old 06-03-05, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
0/5.

I just saw the flick and I liked it. Not a great film by any means, but an enjoyable way to pass two hours during an afternoon.

If you liked it why do you give it a 0/5?

Saw this at a sneak showing last night and thought it was enjoyable. While I am not a skater myself, I did live with a guy whose teenage son was big in skateboarding and got my share of skate videos viewed at the time.

I will say that I was surprised the movie got away with just a PG-13 rating, as there is plenty of violence, alcohol/drug use, and teens engaging in heavy sensual acts. I think that had the movie had an F-bomb or cocaine use it would have been R hands down.

I give it *** out of ****, but I saw it for free, so take it FWIW.
Old 06-03-05, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh no! The 0/5 remark was to that of PopcornTreeCt's stupid-ass remark to Shelton.

I will say that I was surprised the movie got away with just a PG-13 rating, as there is plenty of violence, alcohol/drug use, and teens engaging in heavy sensual acts.
I wasn't shocked by the violence or the sensual acts, I was more shocked by the PG-13 as there was quite a lot of drug use. Most films have to edit out pot use to get a PG-13, and yet, this one has quite a bit of it and it gets the PG-13.
Old 06-03-05, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh no! The 0/5 remark was to that of PopcornTreeCt's stupid-ass remark to Shelton.

I wasn't shocked by the violence or the sensual acts, I was more shocked by the PG-13 as there was quite a lot of drug use. Most films have to edit out pot use to get a PG-13, and yet, this one has quite a bit of it and it gets the PG-13.
didn't whale rider get a pg-13 just because a character is seen with something that looks like drugs near him or something.
Old 06-03-05, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
didn't whale rider get a pg-13 just because a character is seen with something that looks like drugs near him or something.
The filmmakers wanted Whale Rider to get a PG, but the MPAA told them no as the grandfather in the film was using a "bong" or a "pipe" during one scene in the film. The MPAA also got pissed off when the filmmakers began using Roger Ebert's "it's a great family film" quote and the MPAA shouted back with that is not a family film because of the fact that it is rated PG-13.

But take a look at a lot of the PG-13 teen comedies that have come out for the past few years and listen to the audio commentaries from them on their respective DVD. Lots of them had to edit scenes out to take out the "blatent" drug and sexual content. The one I can think of off hand is Out Cold (only because I was bored and began watching it on TV the other afternoon) in which the MPAA told them to remove all scenes that actually show the use of drugs. The drug references and what could stay in, but if someone started to use a bong for illegal use, it had to go.
Old 06-03-05, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll be catching this over the weekend. I've been really looking forward to seeing it. Looks good so far from what I've seen in previews. Peralta was on Dinner For Five the other night. I understand his reasons for not wanting to direct this, but I think he still should have given it a shot. Dogtown & Z Boys is a great doc, hopefully that it'll make it onto the dvd for this movie.
Old 06-04-05, 01:35 PM

Did you buy Emile Hirsch as a latino gangsta?
Old 06-04-05, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did you buy Emile Hirsch as a latino gangsta?
No. But I did buy Nikki Reed as a no-talented slut.

[Same applies to any other female who made an apperance during the flick's two hour run time.]
Old 06-04-05, 01:59 PM

No. But I did buy Nikki Reed as a no-talented slut.

[Same applies to any other female who made an apperance during the flick's two hour run time.]
No kidding.

Had I seen the film, I would say that looking at Sofia Vergara has been a film highlight this year.
Old 06-04-05, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Had I seen the film, I would say that looking at Sofia Vergara has been a film highlight this year.
Who the hell was Sofia Vergara during the film? I'm assuming she was the big breasted "model" like woman at the party near the end of the film, because I can't think of any hot "older" Latina women in the course of the film.

[And according to the IMDb, I guess my assumption is probably right. Hell, I didn't even notice that Alexis Arquette was the trannie near the end of the film...]
Old 06-04-05, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
Didn't know this until I checked IMDB, but apparently America Ferrara who played Thunder Monkey has both this movie and Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants opening this weekend. Since she's 21, I can say without guilt that I like full figured Latinas like her!
Old 06-04-05, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Didn't know this until I checked IMDB, but apparently America Ferrara who played Thunder Monkey has both this movie and Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants opening this weekend. Since she's 21, I can say without guilt that I like full figured Latinas like her!
She might be on the heavier side, but I dug her rack when she unzipped her shirt for the character of Sid.

It's too bad Lords of Dogtown couldn't be rated R so we could've gotten some female nudity. It might've actually moved the film from "entertaining mindless fluff" to "entertaining mindless fluff with hot female nudity."
Old 06-05-05, 12:32 AM

Did anyone catch the brief appearance by the late Mitch Hedberg?
Old 06-05-05, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Saw the doc three years ago and have ZERO interest in the movie. The doc was great, but I just don't see the reason for this movie to be made.
Old 06-05-05, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
(...) but I just don't see the reason for this movie to be made.
..gets my vote for the most meaningless line ever to be used on an internet forum.

-JP
Old 06-05-05, 11:34 AM

A 5ish million dollar opening weekend.

I guess the answer to the thread title would be, "no."
Old 06-05-05, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess the answer to the thread title would be, "no."
I think it would've done better with a different director and writer at helm.

Shit, that would've made it a better movie at least.
Old 06-05-05, 12:07 PM

I think it would've done better with a different director and writer at helm.

Shit, that would've made it a better movie at least.

...yet when I say it, IT'S A TRAVESTY.

Last edited by scott shelton; 06-05-05 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-05-05, 04:02 PM

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by atlantamoi
Saw the doc three years ago and have ZERO interest in the movie. The doc was great, but I just don't see the reason for this movie to be made.
Ebert said essentially the same thing.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.