Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Full-Screen only DVD's...?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 06-02-05, 02:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've searched the first five pages of the search result on full screen dvd's and still couldn't answer all my questions, so i'll just ask this way. i know some movies are only available in full frame only but of the following movies, which used to be available as flippers (WS/FS), and lost the WS side due to studio (jerks) considerations.
  • Timecop
  • Doc Hollywood
  • No Mercy
  • Vision Quest
  • Final Analysis
  • Body Double
  • Hooper
  • Kindergarten Cop
thanks for taking to time for any responses...
Old 06-02-05, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
Timecop has never been widescreen. The Body Double I have is a flipper with 16x9 widescrteen on one side.
Old 06-02-05, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Body Double and No Mercy are Columbia titles that they dropped the widescreen side on. There's nothing you can do except keep looking and see if you can find versions with both sides as there still could be some out there. Warning: even if you do find some, they may not even have the widescreen side as Columbia has been using up their stock of cover art that indicates both sides, but putting the new (fullscreen-only) discs in them. I saw in another thread that someone wrote a letter to Columbia demanding the correct disc and it worked for him, so you could try that if you get one of those. That thread also has a list of the Columbia titles that have had a side dropped.

Doc Hollywood and Hooper have never been widescreen. I think the story on those is that years ago, Warner put out a budget line that recycled old laserdisc transfers. Some of the titles in the line were fullscreen on laserdisc, so that's why they're that way on DVD.

Kindergarten Cop has always been fullscreen only too. I don't know why.
Old 06-02-05, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Several of these are availale in Widescreen/OAR on LaserDisc. I know that is what i did for Timecop. I would like to have new DVD widescreen releases for several of these.
Old 06-02-05, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

many muppet movies are only fullscreen.
Old 06-02-05, 12:52 PM
Banned

Columbia's The Beast has also lost the WS side. Found this out the hard way when I ordered it thru DDD.