Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why does The Fantastic Four look better than Batman Begins?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-05, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen multiple previews/trailers for both films and The Fantastic Four looks a lot more like a big summer action comic book film than Batman Begins, which looks like a dramatic/epic saga type of film. I know alot of people are saying that Batman Begins will be amazing, but it looks bad to me, the cast looks bad (Bale is all wrong for Bruce Wayne) and the previews are confusing and riddled with bad dialogue. Fntasti 4 is also guily of the same things but it has more of a tongue-in-cheek aspect to it, where as Baman seems to want to be a more serious movie than it should be. Am I missing something to this or do others feel the same way? Also what the hell is that fire-breathing horse in all the damn Batman spots all about?
Old 06-01-05, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I am of a completely opposite opinion.

Begins to me looks like an involving, gritty film, while Fantastic looks like it will be anything but. One looks like a check your mind at the door action flick while the other will be a gripping action/drama.

And I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 06-02-05, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JJE-187
I have seen multiple previews/trailers for both films and The Fantastic Four looks a lot more like a big summer action comic book film than Batman Begins, which looks like a dramatic/epic saga type of film.
Weird. The same thing that makes you think "Fantastic Four" the better movie is exactly why I think "Batman Begins" will be the better movie.

Fox has jumped on the comic book movie bandwagon and seems to be doing little more than churning out product (the "X-Men" movies being the exceptions). The writers and driector of "Fantastic Four" look ike talentless guns-for hire, whereas Christopher Nolan has the talent to bring something substantial to "Batman Begins."
Old 06-02-05, 12:06 AM
Banned

Batman hands down. There's no debate about it.
Old 06-02-05, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not sure the answer to your question, but this would be my guess.

vs
Old 06-02-05, 12:25 AM

I may have a hard time seeing Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne but I'll take that over The Thing and Doctor Doom any friggin' day. Gawddamn they look lame.
Old 06-02-05, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Because Batman Begins isn't supposed to be this hugely sweeping action comic book flick. It's more about the origins of Batman and the darker side of the story.
Old 06-02-05, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah, I'd also have to disagree. The Fantastic Four looks like dreck, especially after hearing that they went back to reshoot and redo a bunch of the visual effects once The Incredibles came out; apparently that gave them better ideas than what they originally had planned. I'll take moody and dark over cheeky and sassy any day. Of course, we are all basing this mostly on the internet trailers and clips we've seen, so we could all be wrong; they could both suck superhero balls.
Old 06-02-05, 01:42 AM

FF looks stupid in a Charlie's Angels sort of way while BB looks like the Batman film we've been waiting for. It's all a matter of taste, I guess, but I'd rather see a dark, gritty, dramatic Batman flick than a cheesy, quippy, talentless, leave-your-brain-at-the-door Fantastic Four flick.

L8r
Old 06-02-05, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts
Please do not confuse Batman Begins with Batman & Robin.
Old 06-02-05, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
FF looks like a Charlie's Angel paced trailer out of the two and I really have the opposite reaction than the OP's. I'm all about Batman Begins while I couldn't care any less about FF.
Old 06-02-05, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Bale sounds stupid when he's talking in the bat suit
Old 06-02-05, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by redrum
Thanks for contributing that little tidbit to the discussion. Anything else you'd like to enlighten us with?

Last edited by FinkPish; 06-02-05 at 02:46 AM.
Old 06-02-05, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
I have seen multiple previews/trailers for both films and The Fantastic Four looks a lot more like a big summer action comic book film than Batman Begins, which looks like a dramatic/epic saga type of film.
Weird. The same thing that makes you think "Fantastic Four" the better movie is exactly why I think "Batman Begins" will be the better movie.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

-JP
Old 06-02-05, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by redrum
From what I hear, there's a device in the cowl that distorts and amplifies his voice to be more menacing. I've heard very little of Bale's dialogue as Batman to know whether or not this effect works, but if that's the worst thing about the movie, I think we're golden.

L8r
Old 06-02-05, 04:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Originally Posted by Myster X
Batman hands down. There's no debate about it.

Old 06-02-05, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would reserve my judgement until I saw the movie. The script is done by none other than David Goyer...who wrote the Blade movies, if you don't remember. Most comic movies turn out to be a total waste of time anyway...still...it's probably going to meet or perhaps surpass Star Wars.

Fantastic Four does not look good at all. It really reminds me of the original F4 movie the more and more I see of it. I'd like to say the special effects are better but they're really just more advanced. They're just as poorly implemented in the movie IMO.
Old 06-02-05, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts
I hate the bat suit. As far a black rubber bat suits go, Michael Keaton's looked best. I would love to see a more comic book faithful black/grey suit, especially for a "Begins" film. Based on what I've seen from the trailers and the Smallville preview, he's been trained by some sort of ninjas and gets the suit from them. But I've never heard anything about ninjas in body armor???

Based on the preview, I thought the movie looked great until Bale put on the suit.
Old 06-02-05, 07:20 AM

I'm not a big comic book movie guy, and won't see either of these in the theaters, but based on the trailers, if I had to see one of these, it would definately be the Batman movie.
Old 06-02-05, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I have seen multiple previews/trailers for both films and The Fantastic Four looks a lot more like a big summer action comic book film than Batman Begins, which looks like a dramatic/epic saga type of film. I know alot of people are saying that Batman Begins will be amazing, but it looks bad to me, the cast looks bad (Bale is all wrong for Bruce Wayne) and the previews are confusing and riddled with bad dialogue. Fntasti 4 is also guily of the same things but it has more of a tongue-in-cheek aspect to it, where as Baman seems to want to be a more serious movie than it should be. Am I missing something to this or do others feel the same way? Also what the hell is that fire-breathing horse in all the damn Batman spots all about?
1 vote FF. 19 votes BB. We'll forgive you. It was late when you posted.

I think FF looks cheesy in a Hellboy/Daredevil kind of way. Batman looks gripping, and done in a realistic way.
Old 06-02-05, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts
Make it 20 to 1.
Old 06-02-05, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

make it 19 to 0.

something about these movies makes me think they'll both underwhelm in the box office.

ff, it's just a lesser-followed comic book and i'm thinking its becoming apparent studios are stretching for hits. hulk, spidey, xmen, superman, batman have really been begging for movies. but soon there'll be a movie about vision or cloak and dagger (the latter of which i'd love to see, but i'm the ONLY one who'd love to see it)

bb, i'm starting to think it's still in search of a soul. any number of elements can make this movie weak. it could fall under the category of the 'just get to bale donning the batsuit. we want batman, not backstory.' or, more likely, it may just appear to be an action movie borrowing from a comic book. one thing that was nice about the first couple batmans was the distinctive darkness to it. both burton's movies as well as the aliens movies are dark, but artistically so. adds an interesting bit of surrealism. this one, it's just got no character. bb has the very real possibilty of demonstrating all that is formulaic about dark action movies. if there's a dance/techno rave scene anywhere in the movie, it deserves to fail.

i dunno. would be nice to have them both do well, but i'm sure that ff will not turn into a series and batman could very well have the same result.

just give me michael keaton, ok?
Old 06-02-05, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Saying "Fantastic Four" looks better than "Batman Begins" is like saying "Batman & Robin" is better than "Spider-Man"
Old 06-02-05, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by ytrez
Based on what I've seen from the trailers and the Smallville preview, he's been trained by some sort of ninjas and gets the suit from them. But I've never heard anything about ninjas in body armor???
He gets the suit from Morgan Freeman's character, along with the Batmobile and the rest of his gadgets.
Old 06-02-05, 08:42 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
because I think for the most part you see the majority of the film in the trailer for "The Fantastic Four".

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.