Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Priest/Queensryche tour

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Priest/Queensryche tour

Old 06-01-05, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Priest/Queensryche tour

Any reviews for Judas Priest/Queensryche concert? I was thinking of going. Wondering how they sounded and what their set list was like.
Old 06-01-05, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have yet to see reviews/sets but tickets for this tour have NOT been selling well from what I hear. That of course doesn't mean Judas Priest cannot put on a show. I'd go, but I've already seen them: above average!
Old 06-01-05, 07:55 PM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts
I'm going this Saturday, in Detroit(ish). I'll post a review afterwards.
Old 06-01-05, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Cow

Thanks!
Old 06-01-05, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm going to the Darien Lake show on tues \m/
Old 06-02-05, 09:03 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
I went to the show last night in St. Paul and they were great! Halford hasn't sounded better (not bad for a guy in his mid-50s) and the stage show was fantastic.

They started out with Electric Eye and played the following (that I remember):
Diamonds and Rust
Exciter
Deal With the Devil
Breaking the Law
Screaming for Vengeance
Revolution
Hellrider
Turbo Lover
The Sentinel
I'm a Rocker
Painkiller
Judas Rising

After Halford came out on his motorcycle, they finished with:
Hell Bent for Leather
Living after Midnight
You Got Another thing Coming

I wish they had played Rocka Rolla, Head Out to the Highway and Worth Fighting For, but oh well.

(I'm amazed at how many people have Queensryche t-shirts - I guess I never knew the following they had)
Old 06-02-05, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Geofferson
I went to the show last night in St. Paul and they were great! Halford hasn't sounded better (not bad for a guy in his mid-50s) and the stage show was fantastic.

They started out with Electric Eye and played the following (that I remember):
Diamonds and Rust
Exciter
Deal With the Devil
Breaking the Law
Screaming for Vengeance
Revolution
Hellrider
Turbo Lover
The Sentinel
I'm a Rocker
Painkiller
Judas Rising

After Halford came out on his motorcycle, they finished with:
Hell Bent for Leather
Living after Midnight
You Got Another thing Coming

I wish they had played Rocka Rolla, Head Out to the Highway and Worth Fighting For, but oh well.

(I'm amazed at how many people have Queensryche t-shirts - I guess I never knew the following they had)
crap! they played Hot Rockin and Riding on the Wind in Europe and Japan
Old 06-06-05, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Cow

So, how was the show?
Old 06-06-05, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
I don't understand how this tour could be laying eggs. I would think Judas Priest would be drawing huges crowds. Sadly I can kinda understand QR not having a big audience.
Old 06-06-05, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

well I got my tix for tomorrow (tues 6/7) so I'm doing my part. I'm driving 6 hours to see the mighty Priest \m/
Old 06-07-05, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I don't understand how this tour could be laying eggs. I would think Judas Priest would be drawing huges crowds. Sadly I can kinda understand QR not having a big audience.
Ticket prices ain't what they used to be. $$$$$
Old 06-24-05, 01:15 PM

Judas Priest/Queensryche tour review

I went to the show at Darien Lake on June 7th. The main reason I went was to see the Ryche but enjoyed both performances. To me, Halford did not sound as good as the last time I saw him solo, which was in 2000 when he played with Queensryche and Iron Maiden. Anyone that still has a chance, go check it out- you won't be disappointed. And for those who think Geoff Tate can't or doesn't put forth his best effort for the old Ryche songs......just go see the show - nothing more to say. The set list, which is listed below, was quite a treat. This was the 7th time I've seen them and it ranks near the top. Updated verisons of Rage For Order tunes - it doesn't get any better than that.

Here is a review taken from an unknown website.
Prior to going to this show, I had heard rumors that Queensryche planned on only playing songs from the E.P. (1983), The Warning (1984), and Rage For Order (1986). Given the fact that those are godly albums, I knew that there was no way that I could miss out on this experience. Last time that I had seen the Ryche was back on Iron Maiden's Brave New World tour and they were awesome. During that performance, they primarily concentrated on material from Empire and before, so I figured this show was going to be even better. My only reservation was what I had seen from them on their last DVD, The Art Of Live. They played mostly new stuff and then massacred classics such as "Roads To Madness" and "Della Brown" by modernizing them.

At exactly 8:00pm, the spotlight shined upon guitarists Michael Wilton and Mike Stone as they took center stage and got into their best 'metal' stances. I could feel something great was about to happen and I was right. The boys let loose and the haunting, opening riffs of "The Whisper" from Rage For Order rang out. The sea of people at this outdoor arena rose to their feet in instant approval. It was clear that Queensryche had come armed and ready to prove that they were still at the top of their game. The entire band was adorned in black, with vocalist Geoff Tate, bassist Eddie Jackson, and drummer Scott Rockenfield wearing black shades.

Tate issued a subdued greeting to the audience, and then the band launched into "En Force" from The Warning. This was something special because I don't believe the band has played that one since the early days! If there was any concern that Tate's lower register approach on post Empire recordings meant that his voice was less than it was in 1984, these first two songs proved that our fears were baseless. The keyboards and melodic guitar intro signaled that "Neue Regel" was up next. Cupping his hands over the mic, Tate created the megaphone-like echo and nasal vocals of the studio recording. As he hit those patented highs, he sent a chill through me, while the harmony choruses catapulted me back to 1986! Wilton and Stone pulled off a double axe-attack too. Dualing guitars are what made early Ryche so great and it was a thrill to see it again. Despite Stone's 6-inch high mohawk and mega tattoos (he looked like one of the guys from Rancid!), he certainly knows how to riff, making him the perfect counterpart for Wilton. A personal favorite came next with "NM 156" culled from The Warning. I can still hear the "punch...punch...punch" from Tate! The classic material continued with Rage's "Screaming In Digital," in which Eddie Jackson sang a large portion of the song. What a strong, melodic voice he has.

Geoff then greeted the crowd, asking, "Are you ready for the metal?" The first five songs were awesome and the crowd certainly wanted more. Oddly, the band then delivered "Open" and "Desert Dance" from their poorly received 2000 album Tribe. Based on the classic set, this was unexpected and there was a definite letdown in the crowd. The less technical, more de-tuned guitars, and Tate's lower register approach showed the divide in styles between classic Queensryche and modern Queensryche. With that said, these two songs came off much better than the studio versions. In fact, I didn't mind hearing them at all, especially given the fact that the songs were surrounded by all the rarities.

The crowd let out a huge roar as the band launched into "Queen Of The Reich." The roar turned to shock as the song transitioned into a medley of "Nightrider" and "Blinded," songs that may have only been in the band's set in 1983 and 1984, if at all.

"Walk In The Shadows," the song that should have been the single/video from Rage For Order, was stellar, and was apparently a crowd favorite. Tate then addressed the crowd, saying, "We are honored to be standing on this stage," speaking of touring with Judas Priest. "What a band, what a legacy, what a tour," he said. With tongue in cheek, he questioned the crowd, "Should we continue?" With that, "The Needle Lies" was the only song delivered from Operation: Mindcrime.

Tate then explained the band's next cd would be out in January and that it would be a sequel to Operation: Mindcrime. "I'm American" was performed and gave the crowd an idea of what the album might sound like. While I wasn't blown away by the tune, I must say that it is the best song I've heard from them in years. I especially enjoyed the dual guitar solo (like the great Ryche songs from yesteryear) and the "Who you gonna call? What do you believe in?" lyrics. It was cool as hell when Tate said, "Queensryche, made in America!" too.

"Surgical Strike," another rarity from Rage For Order was dedicated to all the service men and women fighting overseas. Tate stated, "Get home safe brothers and sisters" as he finished the song. A stellar delivery of "Empire" led into Geoff asking, "Jersey, how much metal can you take?"

To complete the show, Geoff spoke of getting older, which he certainly showed no signs of, vocally or otherwise. The guy still has his hair, which I thought began to recede back in the 80s, and he still has stronger pipes than guys half his age. Only an increase around the mid-section was apparent. Geoff suggested that youth should be enjoyed, an appropriate segue way into "Take Hold Of The Flame." The crowd handled the "Take Hold" chant in unison. Before completing the song, a girl ran up on the stage, surprising Tate, slamming into him and giving him a bear hug.

The Bloody Truth: In my review of The Art Of Live DVD, I asked "When will Queensryche figure out that the ‘new stuff’ really doesn’t go over well?" Well, for this tour, they definitely realized what we wanted from them. They certainly could see how enthralled the audience was with what they were doing! If this doesn't shake them back to reality, nothing will. I'm sure the response they are getting from the setlist on this tour, is much better than when they perform post Empire material. Hopefully, future tours will spotlight pre-Mindcrime material, and more importantly, let's pray that Mindcrime II is traditional in nature. This band is spectacular. All they need to do is write material that captures their talent!

1. The Whisper
2. En Force
3. Neue Regel
4. NM156
5. Screaming In Digital
6. Open
7. Desert Dance
8. Queen Of The Reich / Nightrider / Blinded
9. Walk In The Shadows
10. The Needle Lies
11. I'm American
12. Surgical Strike
13. Empire
14. Take Hold Of The Flame

JUDAS PRIEST

Judas Priest was going to have to put on some performance to be able to top what Queensryche had just done. To me, it was going to depend on the setlist. This band has many albums and songs to choose from, but I wanted to hear some songs that were different from past tours. I didn't see Priest on Ozzfest last year, but I did catch them on both Ripper tours, as well as twice in support of Painkiller (one was the Operation Rock n' Roll tour and the other was with Testament and Megadeth).

When the curtain opened, I could tell that the guys put a lot of thought into the stage set. A huge red, roving, electric eye was on the backdrop, six of the Priest 'fork-like' insignias supported risers on each side of the stage, and stairs filled the entire center of the stage. As the band launched into "The Hellion / Electric Eye," Rob Halford appeared in the center of the electric eye on a lift. Leather clad from head to toe, with spurs on his boots, and one of many long leather coats that he'd wear during the performance, Rob delivered this primo opener from 1982's Screaming For Vengeance. I became a bit concerned with the fate of the show during "Metal Gods" from British Steel and "Riding On The Wind" from Screaming. Rob's pitch was completely off and he also used his shrill Painkiller voice during "Riding." It was also apparent that Rob's stage presence was rather cold, mechanical and distant. Whether this was on purpose to achieve some sort of aura, I do not know. But the fact is that he was singing to the floor, and often singing or addressing the audience while facing the sides of the stage. He was also walking very slowly, taking careful steps down the stairs (almost fearful of falling), and pacing back and forth across the stage like a caged animal. If you remember how he hopped and jumped during 1986's Fuel For Life tour, you'd agree that his demeanor is much darker now.

Vocally, Rob improved with "A Touch Of Evil" and it was cool as hell when one of the electric lifts dropped him through one of the risers on the stage at the completion of the song. As the backdrop switched to reference the Angel Of Retribution cd cover, Rob rose up on a lift in the back of the stage with faux-flames in front of him. "Judas Rising" sounded powerful, and you could hear the rhythmic difference between this and the earlier material. I was fifteenth row center and I could literally feel the cement floor shaking. Switching into his fourth floor-length leather coat of the evening, Rob hit the center of the stage for "Revolution," which sounded the best of the new tracks.

Rob then addressed the crowd with the well-known, "Breaking the what?" ritual, and then the band tore into the classic "Breaking The Law." The surprise of the evening came next with "I'm A Rocker" from Ram It Down. This song sounded terrific and Rob's vocals were pitch-perfect by this point, and this is a good thing since the acoustic "Diamonds and Rust" came next.

Thanking the audience for their support over the years, he stated that the fans have inspired them and then ripped into another new song, "Deal With The Devil." The early years were represented with "Beyond The Realms of Death," "Victim Of Changes," and "Exciter," all of which sounded good. The Tipton/Downing dual guitar attack was in full force. On the other hand, 86's synth-guitar direction of "Turbo Lover" came off well too. Before leaving the stage, the Angel of Retribution track "Hellrider" and the title track to Painkiller shook the rafters. For the encore, the roar of the motorcycle could be heard, signaling Halford's entrance on the stage and the classic "Hell Bent For Leather." The party anthem "Living After Midnight" and "You've Got Another Thing Comin'" closed the show.

The Bloody Truth: The stage set was awesome looking, the band's image was full-on metal (although Rob should get rid of the shaggy goatee), and K.K., Glenn, and Ian look damn good for their age. Due to the huge set, it didn't really allow the band to run around much, so the energy was a bit on the low side. Plus, Rob was apparently being very careful not to fall down the stairs. Musically, the band is much heavier than they were in the 80s, so be prepared for that, and bring your earplugs unless you want them to be ringing for the next few days. I do want to know why Defenders Of The Faith was ignored? "Freewheel Burning," "Love Bites," "Some Heads Are Gonna Roll," or "The Sentinel" should have replaced "Turbo Lover" and "A Touch Of Evil." Overall, it is great to see classic metal and bands like Queensryche and Judas Priest receiving so much audience support. The venue was packed to the rafters, giving the appearance that it was the 80s all over again. This is clearly the tour to see this summer!

www.epicrecords.com

www.judaspriest.com

JUDAS PRIEST Setlist:

1. The Hellion / Electric Eye
2. Metal Gods
3. Riding On The Wind
4. A Touch Of Evil
5. Judas Rising
6. Revolution
7. Breaking The Law
8. I'm A Rocker
9. Diamonds & Rust
10. Deal With The Devil
11. Beyond The Realms Of Death
12. Turbo Lover
13. Hellrider
14. Victim Of Changes
15. Exciter
16. Painkiller
-----------------------------------------
17. Hell Bent For Leather (encore)
18. Living After Midnight (encore)
19. You've Got Another Thing Comin' (encore)
Old 06-24-05, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The show last night in West Palm Beach seemed pretty packed. I got laid out by a midget.
Old 06-27-05, 09:22 PM

I'll just wait until Queensryche gets the headline gig later this year. I like the Priest, but I prefer a full set by the Seattle boys.
Old 06-28-05, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Aghama
I got laid out by a midget.
You're going to have to expand on that statement.
Old 06-28-05, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by I.Flores
I'll just wait until Queensryche gets the headline gig later this year. I like the Priest, but I prefer a full set by the Seattle boys.

Where did you hear about that tour?
Old 06-28-05, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by hippie68
Where did you hear about that tour?

Never mind, I saw it on their website. I wonder who will be opening for them?
Old 06-29-05, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I just got reminded by my buddy that he bought me an orchestra seat for this show on July 8 in Irvine Ca.

I had forgotten he was going to buy them because we haven't talked to each since he called and asked about it months ago. DUH!
Old 06-29-05, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by I.Flores
Old 06-30-05, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

On the 1st list I was gong to ask were is Metal Gods for JP....but it seems it was in the second list. 'Ryche's list looks pretty good. Only 2 songs I would have liked to have seen would be Jet City Woman and I Don't Belive In Love but would not complain.

Nice to see that they pulled a few from Rage and the Warning. I think the first time I saw them was during Rage For Order opening up for Maiden (Powerslave tour) at Radio City Music Hall.
Old 06-30-05, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by cactusoly
I grew up in the 80's, along with QR.
When Screaming for Vengeance came out, I was still too young. My first Priest album was Defenders, which I like a lot. I eagerly bought Turbo, only to dissapointingly find that it sucked, and was turned off by them from that album onward when in 1987 I discovered a little band called Ministry and never looked back.
Old 07-03-05, 02:08 AM

I live near KC MO and find it hard to believe that JP are not playing at all in MO or KS on this tour and neither are Iron Maiden on OzzFest,or Manowar with Rhpsody.I know it's not 1985,when it seemed every metal biggie stopped here about every other year but man,c'mon.I really envy the Europeans who get all the metal fests(Wacken Open Air,Dynamo,Gods Of Metal,Sweden Rock Fest etc).What are the chances the upcoming Alice Cooper/Twisted Sister show comes my way?
Old 07-03-05, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by foxxvox
What are the chances the upcoming Alice Cooper/Twisted Sister show comes my way?
Unfortunatly Cheap Trick is opening for Coop in the US (not that I have anything against Cheap Trick, but this is Twisted Sister)
Old 07-03-05, 10:40 AM
Suspended

I missed em when they came to philly what sucks most about missing em is I didn't even know they were coming, and I was outta town, I got home at 11 pm and a friend left 4 messages on my voicemail saying he had an extra ticket

One of the best concerts I ever went to was halford/queensryche and iron maiden, like 5 years ago. It was metal heaven
Old 07-09-05, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm back from seeing QR/Priest Friday night and all I can say is wow! JP really knows how to throw a kick ass show! Halford and the gang sounded ah-mazing!