Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Is this seinfeld giftset worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-05, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this seinfeld giftset worth it?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...s=dvd&n=507846

i was thinking of picking this up in the upcoming week... if i bought just the two releases it would be about 60$ or so... so about 17$ more for this giftset which includes a salt and pepper prop and a limited edition script.. i was wandering if anyone had this set and could tell me if it's worth picking it up over the standard releases.

i don't know how a salt and pepper container would look on my shelf as a prop haha... but i love boxsets and it does look kind of cool.

quality wise how does the props look?

Last edited by LucyMonostone; 06-01-05 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-01-05, 12:23 PM
Banned

That sounds cool but I hate Seinfield
Old 06-01-05, 12:25 PM

you may be the first peron on earth that doesnt like seinfeld.. hehe.

man i love that show.. it's so hilarious.. george cracks me up with his devious schems every episode.. i just seen one where he converted to another religion just to impress a girl and even cheated on the test haha.

yeah the set looks decent.. it's not blowing me away though.
Old 06-01-05, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by LucyMonostone

quality wise how does the props look?
The shaker & napkin dispenser are much smaller than real ones, and the shakers are useless because the holes are immense. The script offers few real insights, and the playing cards are... playing cards. Only the fact that this is the only place you can get them makes the box worth considering.

IMO, the souvenirs are worth more as elements of a potentially valuable collectible (debatable) than as objects in their own right. YMMV.

RichC
Old 06-01-05, 12:48 PM
Banned

you may be the first peron on earth that doesnt like seinfeld.. hehe.

man i love that show.. it's so hilarious.. george cracks me up with his devious schems every episode.. i just seen one where he converted to another religion just to impress a girl and even cheated on the test haha.

yeah the set looks decent.. it's not blowing me away though.
That is probably true, my Dad is addicted to Seinfield, hell, even my Brother gave him Season 2 and 3 Seinfield DVD but he never watches it and the DVD is still sealed!
Old 06-01-05, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by rdclark
The shaker & napkin dispenser are much smaller than real ones, and the shakers are useless because the holes are immense. The script offers few real insights, and the playing cards are... playing cards. Only the fact that this is the only place you can get them makes the box worth considering.

IMO, the souvenirs are worth more as elements of a potentially valuable collectible (debatable) than as objects in their own right. YMMV.

RichC
thanks for the words... hmmmm judging from that it is swaying me to just go with the regular sets... one other question do you think you could fit the whole series in that box? when all the dvds are released would there be enough room for all the set? if so i might get it if not i think i might pass.
Old 06-01-05, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love the show, but probably will NEVER buy the dvds because it seems like its on tv like 8-10 times a day!
Old 06-01-05, 12:59 PM

haha that is true i watch the show about 3 times a day.. 6pm and 6:30pm and then 11pm it is on where i live.

but i love to collect things.. and its just nice to have them whenever you want them.. maybe one night you feel like a seinfeld marathon and just want to crash out watching seinfeld all night or something.
Old 06-01-05, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah there are some episodes I haven't seen in a while but I don't know if I want to buy a whole set just to watch them. Ahhh who am I kidding!?!? I will probably pick them up used sometime if I find a nice copy.
Old 06-01-05, 01:03 PM
Banned

haha that is true i watch the show about 3 times a day.. 6pm and 6:30pm and then 11pm it is on where i live.

but i love to collect things.. and its just nice to have them whenever you want them.. maybe one night you feel like a seinfeld marathon and just want to crash out watching seinfeld all night or something.

So do I, the only thing I collect is DVDs and video games but probably is that for the DVDs, I mostly don't watch them, I just collect them!
Old 06-01-05, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts
I have the giftset, and it is not spectacular. However, if I hadn't gotten it, I probably would've regretted it. You can also pick most of the giftset items up separately on eBay (including the box). Actually, there's a set there now for $10 Buy-It-Now. No box, though.

Cheers!
Old 06-01-05, 01:09 PM

what about fitting all the dvds in the box? i can't buy them used i have a thing for having a new copy that hasn't been used by anyone.. i guess it's a new fetish or something haha.

i would guess there will be about what 5 total dvd releases or so? so you think all those can fit inside that collector's box?
Old 06-01-05, 01:11 PM
Banned

what about fitting all the dvds in the box? i can't buy them used i have a thing for having a new copy that hasn't been used by anyone.. i guess it's a new fetish or something haha.

i would guess there will be about what 5 total dvd releases or so? so you think all those can fit inside that collector's box?
*Laughing* I feel the same way with the new fetish thing
Old 06-01-05, 03:06 PM

There will proably be 8 in total and I just checked, you can put 4 in total in their.Thanks for the idea I just put my Vol. 3 in my box.
Old 06-01-05, 04:43 PM

cool thanks.. 4 isn't bad it certainly makes it a bit more attractive if it can hold 4.

then again that would leave strays.. i would have 4 in a box and others outside the box which would be all sloppy and unorganized.. i might have to wait it out and see what else comes in the future.

Last edited by LucyMonostone; 06-01-05 at 04:49 PM.
Old 06-01-05, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I bought the gift set but wound up selling the box and other stuff on ebay. The box is cool looking but it was just too bulky as far as shelf space is concerned and considering there are several seasons to come it would just look out of place next to the other sets. The other items are pretty useless and don't even really look as cool as I thought when displayed. The cards are neat but lose their appeal quickly. The DVDs themselves however are excellent. I still watch the syndicated shows daily but having uncut shows and all the extras the DVDs offer is pretty sweet.
Old 06-01-05, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Originally Posted by dadaluholla
I love the show, but probably will NEVER buy the dvds because it seems like its on tv like 8-10 times a day!
The audio/video quality is pretty good. There are a TON of extra stuff.... so if you like the show, at least rent... if not buy... the sets.