Search this Thread

Old 05-30-05, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Good Read: Gamer Manifesto

Don't agree with everything, but lots of great points and information
http://www.pointlesswasteoftime.com/...manifesto.html

(To long to quote all)

Last edited by jeffdsmith; 05-30-05 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-30-05, 01:57 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good read.

Agree with most of what he said. Especially the bit about needing entirely new genres and the bit about pointless, over difficult last stages/bosses that require obscure attack strategies that I'm never going to figure out on my own.
Old 05-30-05, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I definitely hate the cutscenes you have to watch over and over and over whenever you die. Let me fucking skip it.
Old 05-30-05, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't believe I read the whole thing!

Loved the following idea:

Where's the game where we're a castaway on a deserted island and the object of the game is to find food and clean water and build a shelter, a game where we can play for one month or six months, because whether or not we get rescued is randomized? Where every time we restart we get a different island with different wildlife and vegetation and water sources?
I'm also tired of cut-scenes paraded as if they were in-game shots. Isn't it pretty obvious which is which? Jeez. Jumping puzzles in FPS's also have to go...

However, I disagree with the "give me everything when I begin (ammo, guns, cars etc..). I like starting out with nothing... and ending up earning goodies as I go. I also like getting my weapons dumped at a midway point during the game, and having to rely on low ammo.

Thanks for posting the article!
Old 05-30-05, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I read this last week... great article, and i agree with most of the points there.
Old 05-31-05, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I also agree with most of the article's points. Sadly, I don't think that any of them are likely to be "solved" until there is a crash in the console market and the current publisher-centric economic realities change.

I'm going to hug my DS now.
Old 05-31-05, 01:20 PM

Hmmmm... I like my crates and exploding barrels littered across the levels. I mean, I have them at home, so why shouldn't they be in my games?
Old 05-31-05, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Originally Posted by cheapskate
However, I disagree with the "give me everything when I begin (ammo, guns, cars etc..). I like starting out with nothing... and ending up earning goodies as I go. I also like getting my weapons dumped at a midway point during the game, and having to rely on low ammo.

Thanks for posting the article!
I saw this last week too, a lot of good points, but I have to disagree with you here cheapskate: as much as I love the Doom games, it really doesn't make sense for you to start out completely unarmed, I mean, you're a Space Marine fercryinoutloud! I think you should have something more substantial when you start out. Losing them at a midway point and forcing you to ration your ammo can be interesting if done right though.
Old 05-31-05, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I saw this last week too, a lot of good points, but I have to disagree with you here cheapskate: as much as I love the Doom games, it really doesn't make sense for you to start out completely unarmed, I mean, you're a Space Marine fercryinoutloud! I think you should have something more substantial when you start out. Losing them at a midway point and forcing you to ration your ammo can be interesting if done right though.
I found it interesting how in Metroid Prime you do have quite a few weapons only to "lose them" in the blast. Simple but effective way to overcome the obvious fact that you shouldn't be unarmed. Of course if every game started they way Prime solved the dilema it would get old.
Old 05-31-05, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I think it depends on the game, they have to place it in the context of the story. However I think there wouldn't be a feeling of progression if you just started with everything.

I agree with most of the article, however I think his island game would be pretty boring. It would be like Far Cry... without the guns.
Old 05-31-05, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I agree with a few parts of the article, but otherwise I don't think he knows entirely what he's talking about.
Old 05-31-05, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My favorite part:

16. Don't use the online capability as an excuse to release broken games

The first time we hear the word "patch" in relation to a PS3 or XBox 360 game, we're taking the console back to the store. Filled with our shit.
Old 05-31-05, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,657 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
My favorite part:

16. Don't use the online capability as an excuse to release broken games

The first time we hear the word "patch" in relation to a PS3 or XBox 360 game, we're taking the console back to the store. Filled with our shit.
Considering the Xbox has already released "patches" I'd expect a few for the 360 as well.
Old 05-31-05, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Draven
Considering the Xbox has already released "patches" I'd expect a few for the 360 as well.
Part of the reason I enjoyed it is because of the fact that patches are a part of console life now and can only get worse.

I think most of the items listed in the manifesto were gripes and grievances that could of been conveyed in a tasteful manner. Instead it was a page that stated problems in a professional way for a short period of time and then just because as crude and dumb as troll posts on a message board.

I mean the crates in FPS bitch session? There are more important problems out there in FPS games. While Doom 3 sure is pretty it's as shallow as those kids pools they sell at Wal-Mart.

As a gamer I have a few demands and here is one I really want to see...the end of G4 and their useless game related shows. I tolerated X-Play because it was never a very serious show and was somewhat fun. I have to say the recent gamer targeted shows are missing the mark. If I want gaming news I'll turn to the we like a normal geek.
Old 05-31-05, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its a good read, but some of it is pretty ridiculous.
Old 06-01-05, 12:46 AM

There were some good points (I liked the one about focusing on games for a game console), but a lot of the time he came up with half-assed examples to validate his statements that didn't make much sense, even if I knew where he was coming from because I've felt the same thing myself.

Half of the stuff he came up with sounds like he wrote about it right after he died a couple dozen times to it in a game
Old 06-01-05, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Where's the game where we're a castaway on a deserted island and the object of the game is to find food and clean water and build a shelter, a game where we can play for one month or six months, because whether or not we get rescued is randomized? Where every time we restart we get a different island with different wildlife and vegetation and water sources?
Well, that's the basis of Survival Kids for Game Boy Color.
Old 06-01-05, 08:31 PM
Banned

Not worth a new thread, but a decent read from a blog:

Rushed Evolution
Teksuo
Okay. We all new it was coming: When we would we lose interest in our current consoles and look to what the future would have to offer us. Thing is...has that time actually come yet? The next gen consoles are gonna hit within 6 months to a year from now. But, I don't think now is the time to start doling out the new advancements.

First of all, most of us are still quiet happy with our consoles (with the exception of traveling folk, who hate to lug around their heavy ass X-Box), and are still blown away when a good killer app comes along. Sure, there's room for improvement, but that's what hard work is for.

The next wave of consoles will present us with better graphics, stronger AI, more enemies on screen, more connectivity, and if you hook up to a special attachement, it'll even do your laundry.

But, there is still so much room to go with our current gen consoles, that I just don't think there's a need to move on now. When Resident Evil 4 was first announced for the PS2, being a gamecube owner with few exclusives to call my own, I was pissed. But then I thought "well, it's coming out at the end of the year, and the PS2 version is probably gonna look a hell of a lot worse." Now after seeing the E3 footage, I can't tell the difference except for the added cut-scenes.

Which proves my point. With a little hard work and careful programming, a game that shouldn't look nearly as good as it does on the PS2 like RE4 *can* be pulled off smoothly. Which makes me wonder why the rush to go the next cycle? Instead of dumping money into rushing out the new stuff, wait a while. Let us get sick of what we have before we move on.

When I look at the PS3 videos, I see stuff that I will admit, probably can't be pulled off with the current technology. But when I look at XBox 360, I don't see much that couldn't be pulled off with some well placed optical trickery.

I also think the whole concept of a 5 year cycle is a bit short. I think it should be a 7 to 8 year cycle. With the technology we have today, we can go so much further. X-Box has barely scratched the surface of what it can do, PS2 is just now really starting to push it's limits, and Gamecube is just full of latent possibilities.

But, then again, people always want the (to paraphrase Daft Punk) "Newer, Better, Faster, Stronger" deal, and I don't think they stop to consider everything. By swiching to this next gen hardware; developement costs are going to raise, because everybody wants to try an push a system to it limits. This means game costs are going to rise for you and me; Gamer Joe and Fragger Jane (Or Velocity Girl as MS wants to call her.)

Games cost what? $39 to $49 bucks per game now? this means we'll be going to the $49 to $69 price range. And that's just for the games. How much is the hardware itself gonna cost? PS3 could easily reach $400-500 bucks. X-Box360? Dunno. Revolution? It'll probably be cheap by comparison. (Just look at the thing! It *looks* like a DVD player.) I doubt Nintendo will want the cost to go above $199 ($250 max) as their philosophy has always been affordable and simple.

Now that's not to sound like a Nintendo fanboy; lower price point could in turn mean weaker, less powerful standards, in terms of what PS3 and XBox 360 owns will be getting. Nintendo will be miss out on even more by third party multi-platform games, because chances are their system will not be able to keep up with the competition, until near the end of the life cycle. Otherwise, it'll mean that the companies will need to skimp on features in order to compensate for the lack of power.

Again, I think they should take a step back, and say "Wait a minute...let's just take a couple more years on the current hardware before we go forward, at least until we can bring out costs down." The average gamer doesn't have cash to blow on all 3 consoles, and every title that comes out. 60 bucks is a lot to blow on a single game, that you might or might now like if you just rush out and buy it without renting, which is what many gamers still do.
http://www.redassedbaboon.com/blog/?ct_id=112
Old 06-01-05, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I think there is a market for both. You have to have somebody pushing the technology like Sony is trying to do with a higher cost but more advanced console. However, it is also nice that Nintendo will try and create a second avenue of gaming that is affordable and unique. I want my GTA and Madden with more advanced next gen graphics and AI, but I also want Nintendo's unique style of gaming that doesn't need to push polygons to be innovative and fun.

What we don't need is one company pushing out all the competition. Things are much better now than they were when the 2600 and NES dominated gaming. Competition is very good and I really hope all three can find success. I know that will be difficult and unlikely though.
Old 06-02-05, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I think I'm not going to buy a Next gen console until the games start dropping in price. If in fact they do start costing 60 bucks a pop, I don't think there is a game I would buy for that price. I would consider a Revolution Zelda game for that price, but even then I would hesitate. Considering that's my favorite franchise I don't think any other game is going to command those kinds of dollars from me anymore.
Old 06-03-05, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't agree with #6. Sure, I'm guilty of using save states in emulators to inch my way though a game I don't feel like playing to death because it's so hard, but I don't want all games to have that ability built in. The challenge is to get from one point to another in the game without saving. Of course, there are games that don't have the save states placed well, and that is part of the overall game design and can ruin a game, but I don't think allowing us to save anywhere we want to is the answer.
Old 06-03-05, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Drexl
I don't agree with #6. Sure, I'm guilty of using save states in emulators to inch my way though a game I don't feel like playing to death because it's so hard, but I don't want all games to have that ability built in. The challenge is to get from one point to another in the game without saving. Of course, there are games that don't have the save states placed well, and that is part of the overall game design and can ruin a game, but I don't think allowing us to save anywhere we want to is the answer.
I like to be able to save all the time, sometimes I may only have 10 minutes or less to play a game, and if I know I won't make progress I just won't play it.
Old 06-04-05, 01:17 AM

someone patented mini games during loading? these software patents really are a joke and wouldn't fly if there was an analogous real world situation.

and good job to whoever patented it. at least they're making big bucks off of it. oh wait, developers decided to just not include them then pay. thanks for hurting the industry for nothing