Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Okay, Why the Hell do People Love Pinkerton So Much?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 05-29-05, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm sorry, but I have given Weezer's second album several listens since I got the CD last week and dammit, I hate it! I have every other Weezer album and have to say that this one is by far the weakest of the bunch. Even weaker than the new one.

I just don't understand how so many people think this album is one of the greatest albums ever made. It gets so much praise that I think the world must be insane. What is so great about Pinkerton?
Old 05-29-05, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't think people love Pinkerton so much as they like it much, much better than the albums that followed it.

That being said, the lyrics were a strong step forward for Rivers Cuomo. Unfortunately, the almost uncomfortably honest and personal lyrics hit such a nerve with people that he abandoned that type of songwriting all together on subsequent releases.
Old 05-29-05, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Originally Posted by automator
I don't think people love Pinkerton so much as they like it much, much better than the albums that followed it.
Nah. The "Pinkerton" deification was certainly present when I was in college radio, and that was well before Green came out.
Old 05-29-05, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why not? It is one of the more consistent albums I have ever had the pleasure to listen to. Very gritty for a "pop/punk" band.
Old 05-29-05, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Mostly because of how intimate the songs lyrics are. ....And because most male Weezer fans share a fetish for Asian women
Old 05-30-05, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Nah. The "Pinkerton" deification was certainly present when I was in college radio, and that was well before Green came out.
You're right. But I still think that it's overall appeal since then has to do with the band's turn toward Kiss-esque power chords and bland lyrics.
Old 05-30-05, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

...because it's a really good album with completely unhinged lyrics and the rawest hard rock production since Cheap Trick's first album. Also, the japanese girl thing.
Old 05-30-05, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by starseed1981
Mostly because of how intimate the songs lyrics are. ....And because most male Weezer fans share a fetish for Asian women
ALong with about 95% of white males
Old 05-30-05, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by cungar
ALong with about 95% of white males
I apologize, you are absolutley correct.
Old 05-30-05, 12:38 PM
Hud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sherm42
I'm sorry, but I have given Weezer's second album several listens since I got the CD last week and dammit, I hate it! I have every other Weezer album and have to say that this one is by far the weakest of the bunch. Even weaker than the new one.

I just don't understand how so many people think this album is one of the greatest albums ever made. It gets so much praise that I think the world must be insane. What is so great about Pinkerton?
I agree with you 100%. I can't stand Pinkerton, but I love Weezer's other albums. I think there might be a silent majority out there that shares these sentiments, but perhaps people are afraid of saying they like the other albums more because they'll be accused of being a sell-out to slickly produced formulaic pop music or something of that nature.

I can see Pinkerton's appeal to some and I respect it, but it's not my cup of tea.
Old 05-30-05, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I love Pinkerton because it is so dark and raw yet has choruses we can all sing to!
Old 05-30-05, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Originally Posted by Hud
I can see Pinkerton's appeal to some and I respect it, but it's not my cup of tea.
I like "Pinkerton", but I'm not ashamed to admit to being a power-pop fanatic, and I prefer their first album overall. "Green" was enough of a disappointment for me that I haven't felt compelled to buy any of their albums since.
Old 05-30-05, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's a musically superior album to anything they have ever done or will ever do.
Old 05-30-05, 04:16 PM

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Musically superior? It sounds like a bunch of noise to me. Except for a couple songs, they sound incredible amature and horribly produced. It sounds like a group that doesn't even know how to play their instruments.

I just don't see how this is musically superior to Blue.
Old 05-30-05, 04:46 PM

Pinkerton is less about having a song on the radio and more about having a good album. If your a fan of The Green Album onward then its a possibility you wont get Pinkerton. Im the reverse, I love Pinkerton but dont really dig anything else since.

Blue Album is fun for all though. hehe well usually.
Old 05-30-05, 08:45 PM

I like Pinkerton. I think the production is fantastic. Still though it isn't as good as the blue album.

The green album was above average. At least I liked "Island in the Sun" Maladroit was okay, even though I still like "Keep Fishin'"

Neither "Beverly Hills" nor "We Are All On Drugs" are sending me rushing out to buy Make Believe.

The problem for me is that there isn't a bad song on the blue album or Pinkerton. The Blue album gets the nod just because I could never get tired of listening to it. Pinerton, I really like, but I just don't listen to it as much. There just isn't any replayability in the Green album or Maladroit for me. If I feel like listening to Weezer, I'd just assume listen to the first two since they really haven't evolved that much since then.
Old 05-30-05, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am a "people" and the only weezer I enjoyed was the blue one.
And thats on my top 25 albums of all time list.
Although i've never actually made the list, i'm sure its on there.

I like asian girls too.
Old 05-31-05, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

3 words: "The Good Life"
Old 05-31-05, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by sherm42
Musically superior? It sounds like a bunch of noise to me. Except for a couple songs, they sound incredible amature and horribly produced. It sounds like a group that doesn't even know how to play their instruments.

I just don't see how this is musically superior to Blue.
Well...what albums do you think are "good"? Music is completely subjective and you like what you may, but for true music listeners, there is almost always a majority consensus on what is "good" and what is not. There will always be a few who disagree, but there will be a separate majority. If you are used to hearing paint-by-numbers, heavily-produced music made with a strong hand from major label executives and you don't want to ever be challenged, then you would probably never like an album such as Pinkerton. If you want to discover why so many people like albums such as Pinkerton, then you will need to challenge yourself and try to really figure out what it is that makes it such a good album. You may discover you truly don't like it, but you will see what other people see in it.
Old 05-31-05, 01:43 AM

I'm going to chime in here--while I like Pinkerton, I prefer the Blue Album if it came down to choosing between those two. I like the Green Album too, and Maladroit is okay, probably the album of theirs I listen to the least. I even enjoy Make Believe, although a lot of people seem to hate it.
There are problems with Pinkerton--for one thing, not all guys are obsessed with Asian girls, and secondly, "butterfly" just might be the worst song Weezer ever recorded.
Old 05-31-05, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't get "Pinkerton" until about 6 months after I got it (got it at a midnite release party back in '96). I didn't like the album at all and I thought the single was a little weak. Then it suddenly just hit me. All my teenage angst, my perspective in life, etc. etc. and I couldn't stop listening to Pinkerton. Pinkerton is an obsession with some people if it hits them right, it can be blamed for brining emo to the mainstream, but mostly it really did change a lot of lives. I have listened to Pinkerton probably over 2,000 times with my obsession starting by listening to the album at least 3 times per day to currently to at least twice a week. Before you judge me for whatever reason, I am fellow reader to fakejazz.com and foxy digitalis.com which is more out there stuff than some of the bigger indie websites cover like stylus or pitchfork.

p.s. butterfly is the best song weezer ever recorded and gives the entire album the ultimate conclusion. the worst song weezer ever did was from make believe, "we are all on drugs" which borrows from the dirraha song. Jesus christ.
Old 05-31-05, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also think that the Blue Album isn't as good as most Sloan records.
Old 05-31-05, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember when the first single from Pinkerton hit the radio...my reaction was "What the fuck is this?" I didn't pick up Pinkerton until the Green Album hit...honestly I dig Pinkerton a lot, it has a different, darker sound...and more importantly it has Matt Sharp.
Old 05-31-05, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I bought Pinkerton about a month after it was first released but only because I like El Scorcho (the chorus had me) and the album was cheap. At first listen, I didn't really like the rest of the album because of the perceived strange songs. But after several years of listening to it off and on, I have to say that it's really grown on me, mostly because Pinkerton is an album (where he seems to be singing his heart and throat out) and not just a collection of songs like a lot of Weezer's new albums, although "Tired of Sex" is probably my favorite song from the album.
Old 05-31-05, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ChrisKnudsen
I also think that the Blue Album isn't as good as most Sloan records.
WhaT?!?! I love Sloan, but the only album of theirs that even comes CLOSE to being as good as the Blue Album is Navy Blues... Most Sloan albums have at least 3-4 filler songs IMO.

MATT

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.