Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Tears of the Sun - Director's Extended Cut'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-05, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read Scott Weinberg's DVD review of Tears of the Sun - Director's Extended Cut at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=16046 and...

Thanks for the review! Pretty disappointing that this release is only adding deleted backs into the movie and slapping the DC title on it. I was hoping for more on this one, but I guess not. Looks like I am going to skip double dipping on this one.
Old 05-29-05, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I enjoyed the theatrical cut and I will not double dip if they just re-inserted the deleted scenes into this version.
Old 05-29-05, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, I'm amazed at how egregious this is. Why the hell would Columbia do this?
Old 05-30-05, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by natevines
Why the hell would Columbia do this?
Could it be......money??

Pro-B
Old 05-30-05, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Obviously, but I've never seen a re-issue as frivolous as this. Besides, who the hell is going to buy this? It wasn't a good movie and the people who liked it aren't likely to double dip. The people who know anything about DVDs know that it's worthless and likewise won't double dip.
Old 06-06-05, 08:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just received my preorder copy since I could not cancel in time. But I have some observations that don't add up.

1. The back of the dvd says "24 minutes of Never-Before-Seen-Footage" so wouldn't the deleted scences be considered seen so their must be something new.
2. The old deleted scences only added up to a little over 17 minutes long so 7 minutes of new stuff must be on there.
3. This is the one that really does not add up. Running time on old one was 121 minutes, new one is 132. This is only 11 minute difference, so I would assume that stuff was deleted and then added.

So I am confused since the review says all they did was add the deleted stuff in. Is this considered never before seen footage? And what about the time differences?
Old 06-07-05, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Maybe some shots were replaced ala LoTR?
Old 06-09-05, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Big Worms
I just received my preorder copy since I could not cancel in time. But I have some observations that don't add up.

1. The back of the dvd says "24 minutes of Never-Before-Seen-Footage" so wouldn't the deleted scences be considered seen so their must be something new.
2. The old deleted scences only added up to a little over 17 minutes long so 7 minutes of new stuff must be on there.
3. This is the one that really does not add up. Running time on old one was 121 minutes, new one is 132. This is only 11 minute difference, so I would assume that stuff was deleted and then added.

So I am confused since the review says all they did was add the deleted stuff in. Is this considered never before seen footage? And what about the time differences?
... i totally agree, i was considering a double dip, i checked out the deleted scenes on the original release and didn't think they were worth a repurchase... but, yeah the math doesn't add up... unless they consider the "making of featurette" never seen before footage - this is a friggin' money grab
Old 06-09-05, 01:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by natevines
Wow, I'm amazed at how egregious this is. Why the hell would Columbia do this?
DVDs are the new target of disposable income. The continuous re-release of the same title (plus some features, but MINUS other features from the first release) is an easy money-maker and Columbia and Fox are the primary offenders of this.