Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Your personal Emmy nominations...

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-05, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your personal Emmy nominations...

Now that the main telelvision season is over, pick your favorite five (or six) performances of the year. Don't try to predict what will actually get a nomination at the real Emmys, just select your personal favorites. You can pick a winner, but only if you want to. I'll get the ball rolling...

Categories:
Best Comedy Series:
Arrested Development, Desperate Housewives, The Office (NBC), Scrubs, Two and a Half Men

Best Drama Series: Lost, Veronica Mars, Without a Trace, Grey's Anatomy, Carnivale

Best Actor, Comedy: Jason Bateman (Arrested Development), Zack Braff (Scrubs), Steve Carell (The Office), Seth Macfarlane (Family Guy), Charlie Sheen (Two and a Half Man)

Best Actress, Comedy: Pamela Anderson (Stacked), Paget Brewster (Huff), Teri Hatcher (Desperate Housewives), Patricia Heaton (Everybody Loves Raymond), Reba McEntire (Reba)

Best Supporting Actor, Comedy: Will Arnett (Arrested Development), Steven Culp (Desperate Housewives), Tony Hale (Arrested Development), John Krasinski (The Office), William Shatner (Boston Legal)

Best Supporting Actress, Comedy: Candice Bergen (Boston Legal), Sarah Chalke (Scrubs), Marcia Cross (Deseprate Housewives), Drea de Matteo (Joey), Jessica Walter (Arrested Development)

Best Actor, Drama: David Caruso (CSI Miami), Matthew Fox (Lost), Anthony LaPaglia (Without a Trace), Hugh Laurie (House), Ian McShane (Deadwood)

Best Actress, Drama: Patricia Arquette (Medium), Kristen Bell (Veronica Mars), Jennifer Garner (Alias), Christine Lahti (Jack and Bobby), Ellen Pompeo (Grey's Anatomy)

Best Supporting Actor, Drama: Alan Alda (West Wing), Teddy Dunn (Veronica Mars), John Glover (Smallville), Daniel Dae Kim (Lost), Terry O'Quinn (Lost)

Best Supporting Actress, Drama: Jorja Fox (CSI), Yoon-jin Kim (Lost), Allison Mack (Smallville), Vanessa Marcil (Las Vegas), Poppy Montgomery (Without a Trace)

Best Reality/Sports Personality Bo Bice (American Idol), Tom Buchanan (Survivor: Palau), Chris Daugherty (Survivor: Vanuatu), Eddie Guerrero (WWE Smackdown), Ty Pennington (Extreme Makeover: Home Ed)

Best Episode, any category "Afternoon Delight" (Arrested Development), "The Alliance" (The Office), "Leave it to Beaver" (Veronica Mars), "Numbers" (Lost), "Walkabout" (Lost)

(Note: I know I'm reallllly stretching in the Best Actress section, but outside of Reba and Teri, it was hard to think of other leading actress.)
Old 05-29-05, 12:24 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 257 Likes on 194 Posts
Best Comedy Series: Arrested Development, Desperate Housewives, The Office, Scrubs, Rescue Me(More of a comedy than DH is)

Best Drama Series: Lost, Veronica Mars, Deadwood, Law & Order: SVU, Carnivale, The Shield

Best Actor, Drama: Clancy Brown (Carnivale), Michael Chiklas (The Shield), , Hugh Laurie (House), Ian McShane (Deadwood)

Best Actress, Drama: Kristen Bell (Veronica Mars), Jennifer Garner (Alias), Christine Lahti (Jack and Bobby), Mariska Hargitay (Law & Order: SVU), Bebe Neuwirth (Law & Order: TBJ)
Old 05-29-05, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Best Comedy Series: Scrubs

Best Drama Series: Deadwood, Lost Boston Legal

Best Actor, Drama: Ian McShane (Deadwood)

Best Supporting Actor, Drama: William Shatner (Boston Legal), Terry O'Quinn (Lost)

Best Episode, any: "Hired Guns" (Boston Legal)
Old 05-29-05, 12:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Triple S

Best Reality/Sports Personality Bo Bice (American Idol)

)

Old 05-30-05, 01:00 AM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't have Emmy nominations, but here's a smattering of my own lists.

Best shows:

1. Joe Schmo 2
2. Lost
3. Arrested Development
4. Gilmore Girls
5. Scrubs
6. life as we know it
7. Shield

Most underrated shows: Real World/Road Rules Challenge and One Tree Hill - While these 2 shows belong to much maligned genres, reality and soaps, they both excel despite their genre's limitations.

Most underwatched shows: The Days and Wonder Showzen - I don't know what the actual ratings for these 2 were, but I have a feeling most people don't even know that these 2 shows existed.

Most overrated show: 24 - pretty good during it's first season, incredibly bad ever since

Best use of music: Grey's Anatomy - While the OC has been using instrumental music from bands like the Album Leaf for some of their score, GA has taken it a step further. GA manages to seamlessly weave various songs throughout each episode. The OC and other shows often play songs at a really low volume so as not to interfere with dialogue. I don't know if they remix the songs on GA or what, but they often seem to have long instrumental parts when there's a bunch of dialogue and then the song will pick back up for a scene transition.

Best episode of an otherwise unimpressive season: South Park - Woodland Critter Christmas - Everything about this episode was great. While the rest of the season was never bad, it was never that good either.

Only good multi-camera show: Joey - I'll never understand why the sitcom gets so much respect. The sitcom is to comedy what daytime soaps are to drama. It's ironic that the only good one this season is also the one that seems to get bashed the most.

Most ridiculous move by the networks: Renewing bad sitcoms with mediocre ratings while canceling good dramas with mediocre ratings. It's inexcusable to cancel shows like Eyes, Jack and Bobby, Joan of Arcadia, and, of course, life as we know it and The Days while so many insanely bad sitcoms continue to live.
Old 05-30-05, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by Elldubtoo
I love your hardon for this guy. It's very cute.
Old 05-30-05, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Triple S
Best Reality/Sports Personality
Is this a real category?

The Emmy Awards totally lost me last year when they did not nominate Ian McShane. That was an inexcusable slight. I fully expect Terry O'Quinn to get the same this year, although he was excellent in "Lost".
Old 05-30-05, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
I'll probably forget something here. Also, keep in mind that eligibility runs from June 1 - May 31 so series that ran last summer are in the mix.

Drama:
Rescue Me
The Shield
Deadwood
Nip/tuck
Law & Order SVU

Drama Actor:
Dennis Leary
Michael Chiklis
Ian McShane
Julian McMahon
Dennis Franz

Drama Actress:
Glenn Close
Joely Richardson
Bebe Neuwirth
Mariska Hargitay
Gail O'Grady

Drama Supp Actor:
Garrett Dillahunt
Benito Martinez
Terry O'Quinn
Keith Robinson
Bradley Whitford

Drama Supp Actress:
Paula Malcolmson
CCH Pounder
Brittney Snow
Molly Parker
Yoon-jin Kim

Comedy:
Boston Legal
Desperate Housewives
Arrrested Development
Entourage

Comedy Actor:
James Spader
Jason Bateman
Kevin Connolly
Tim Daly

Comedy Actress:
Candace Bergin
Marcia Cross
Teri Hatcher
Felicity Huffman

Comedy Supp Actor:
Jeremy Piven
William Shatner
Will Arnett
Tony Hale
Rainn Wilson

Comedy Supp Actress:
Jessica Walter
Portia de Rossi
Eva Longoria

Obviously, I have some holes in the comedy categories. Mainly this is due to the fact that there is a dearth of quality comedy. Second, I am a season behind on Gilmore Girls so assuming that S5 is anywhere near the quality of previous seasons, GG, Lauren Graham, Scott Patterson, and Kelly Bishop would be nominees in the applicable categories.

On the flip side, it was really hard to make choices in the drama categories. I could have made things easier by putting Rescue Me in the comedy category, but my guess is that it will be submitted as a drama.

Last edited by Red Dog; 05-30-05 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-30-05, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can tell which drama and comedy are my favorites.

Drama Series:

Deadwood
Lost
The Shield
*Six Feet Under

Alt: Alias

Lead Actor, Drama:

Michael Chiklis, The Shield
Michael C. Hall, Six Feet Under
*Peter Krause, Six Feet Under
Ian McShane, Deadwood
Keifer Sutherland, 24

Alt: Hugh Laurie, House

Lead Actress, Drama:

Glenn Close, The Shield
*Frances Conroy, Six Feet Under
Jennifer Garner, Alias
Rachel Griffiths, Six Feet Under
Mariska Hargitay, Law & Order: SVU

Alt: Joely Richardson, Nip/Tuck

Supporting Actor, Drama

Alan Alda, The West Wing
James Cromwell, Six Feet Under
Freddy Rodriquez, Six Feet Under
*Terry O'Quinn, Lost
Richard Schiff, The West Wing

Alts: Victor Garber, Alias / John Spencer, The West Wing

Supporting Actress, Drama

Shoreh Aghdashloo, 24
*Lauren Ambrose, Six Feet Under
Yun-Jin Kim, Lost
Justina Machado, Six Feet Under
Robin Weigert, Deadwood

Alt: Famke Janssen, Nip/Tuck

-----------------------------------------

Comedy Series

*Arrested Development
Monk

Lead Actor, Comedy

*Jason Bateman, Arrested Development
Tony Shalhoub, Monk

Lead Actress, Comedy

*I have NO idea

Supporting Actor, Comedy

Will Arnett, Arrested Development
David Cross, Arrested Development
Peter Boyle, Everybody Loves Raymond (the best on that show and the only one without an Emmy)
Tony Hale, Arrested Development
*Jeffrey Tambor, Arrested Development

Alt: Michael Cera, Arrested Development

Supporting Actress, Comedy

*Jessica Walter, Arrested Development
Portia de Rossi, Arrested Development
Alia Shawkat, Arrested Development

How sad is comedy on tv today? I only have two non-animated comedy series that are "must watch" for me.

I did not watch Desperate Housewives this season (except for the Pilot). I have to catch up on that over the summer – they showed the pilot last night, so hopefully a lot of the episodes will be shown over the summer.

Last edited by conscience; 05-30-05 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-30-05, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Is Boston Legal really in the Comedy category? That is odd.
Old 05-30-05, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You're missing the Latin Snake and Alfonso Gomez (The Contender) in the reality personality category. That's not a real category, is it?

Nice to see Daniel Dae Kim on there and Evangeline Lilly NOT on there. I hope The Office gets some nominations.
Old 05-30-05, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Best Reality/Sports Personality-Amber Brkich
Old 05-30-05, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Basing the nods on last year, it isn't. But I guess since it is personal nods, Red Dog personally thinks it's a comedy?
Old 05-30-05, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk God

As does Triple_S.
Old 05-30-05, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As does Triple_S.
Originally Posted by conscience
Basing the nods on last year, it isn't. But I guess since it is personal nods, Red Dog and Triple_S personally thinks it's a comedy?
Fixed.
Old 05-30-05, 09:30 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a feeling it'll never happen, but they really need to add a dramedy category. For the people that complain about the lack of good comedy on TV, it's still there; it's just in hour-long shows now.
Old 05-30-05, 09:47 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 257 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by nny
I have a feeling it'll never happen, but they really need to add a dramedy category. For the people that complain about the lack of good comedy on TV, it's still there; it's just in hour-long shows now.

Then maybe Gilmore Girls,and in particular Lauren Graham, would finally get nominated for something major.
Old 05-30-05, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Best Drama:

Rescue Me
Deadwood
Lost
House
Nip/Tuck

Best Comedy:

Scrubs
Boston Legal
Desperate Housewives
Arrested Development
Entourage

Best Actor in a Drama:

Dennis Franz
Dennis Leary
Ian McShane
Hugh Laurie
Julian McMahon
Matt Long

Best Actor in a Comedy:

Zack Braff
Donald Faison
James Spader
Jason Bateman
Kevin Connolly

Best Actress in a Drama:

Emily Van Camp
Joely Richardson
Lauren Graham
Maura Tierney
Kristen Bell

Best Actress in a Comedy:

Sarah Chalke
Candice Bergen
Felicity Huffman
Marcia Cross

Best Supporting Actor in a Drama:

Tom Amandes
Victor Garber
Terry O'Quinn
Brad Dourif
Goran Visnjic

Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy:

William Shatner
John C. McGinley
Will Arnett
Jeremy Piven
Ken Jenkins

Best Supporting Actress in a Drama:

Kelly Bishop
Merrilyn Gann
Yunjin Kim
Molly Parker
Paula Malcolmson

Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy:

Judy Reyes
Christa Miller Lawrence
Jessica Walter
Portia De Rossi
Eva Longoria
Old 05-31-05, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Expect the cast of Raymond to sweep the comedy categories.
Old 05-31-05, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk God

It is clearly a comedy for me, no question. Don't know what genre the producers will submit contenders in.
Old 05-31-05, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Basing the nods on last year, it isn't.

Boston Legal didn't exist last year. Now if you are basing it on Spader's nomination last year - The Practice was a different show - in substance and tone.

Can anyone seriously think BL is a drama before a comedy? I assume DEK is smart enough to place his entries in the comedy categories given the crowded field of dramas. This is what Desperate Housewives did for the Golden Globes and what I assume they will do for the Emmys.
Old 05-31-05, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MrX
Then maybe Gilmore Girls,and in particular Lauren Graham, would finally get nominated for something major.
Speaking of which, no love for Reiko Aylesworth? She was great this season on 24!
Old 05-31-05, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Boston Legal didn't exist last year. Now if you are basing it on Spader's nomination last year - The Practice was a different show - in substance and tone.

Can anyone seriously think BL is a drama before a comedy? I assume DEK is smart enough to place his entries in the comedy categories given the crowded field of dramas. This is what Desperate Housewives did for the Golden Globes and what I assume they will do for the Emmys.
Well, The Practice did have comedic undertones in it's last year with Spader - and it still went drama (of course, that's because it had won the drama series twice and all its nods in it's previous years were in drama).

But I just don't see it going into comedy (the Golden Globes even gave it a drama nod for Spader.)

I am guessing it is some sort of this dramedy people are speaking of, and that's where the questions begin. I am just basing it on his placement from last year.
Old 05-31-05, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk God

I am guessing it is some sort of this dramedy people are speaking of, and that's where the questions begin. I am just basing it on his placement from last year.

I never thought of The Practice as a dramedy. It was always a drama to me. BL, OTOH, is far more comedy than drama, and I think few would disagree. That is why I don't think what category Spader was in last year is all that relevant.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what DEK submits it as. Yeah, it was a drama for the Globes, but given the crowded drama field, don't be surprised if DEK calls it a comedy. DEK thought Ally McBeal was a comedy, and BL is more like that than The Practice.
Old 05-31-05, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I never thought of The Practice as a dramedy. It was always a drama to me. BL, OTOH, is far more comedy than drama, and I think few would disagree. That is why I don't think what category Spader was in last year is all that relevant.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what DEK submits it as. Yeah, it was a drama for the Globes, but given the crowded drama field, don't be surprised if DEK calls it a comedy. DEK thought Ally McBeal was a comedy, and BL is more like that than The Practice.
I was speaking of BL as the dramedy not The Practice.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.