Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Weekend Box Office (5-27 to 5-29)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-05, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Friday's Estimates....

LONGEST YARD THE
15.7 15.7

STAR WARS: EPISODE III - REVENGE OF THE SITH
15.5 215.9

MADAGASCAR
14.4 14.4

MONSTER-IN-LAW
2.7 52.4

KICKING & SCREAMING
1.3 38.8

CRASH
1.3 31.5

UNLEASHED
.6 20.1

INTERPRETER, THE
.5 67.1

KINGDOM OF HEAVEN
.5 43.3

HOUSE OF WAX
.4 28.6
Old 05-28-05, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Did Lords of Dogtown just completely bomb?
Old 05-28-05, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Lords of Dogtown comes out next weekend.

VERY impressive numbers for The Longest Yard.

And fairly weak ones for Madagascar.
Old 05-28-05, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Star Wars will still squeak ahead for the weekend I think, barely .2 million between them. Really shocked at Longest Yard, I had no interest in this at all but obviously some people did...
Old 05-28-05, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah I'm very shocked with The Longest Yard...Is SW beginning to fizzle out?
Old 05-28-05, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
I'm not surprised at the totals, though a tad dissapointed SW is dropping over 50%. TLY and M will both do well, with 4day totals close to 60mill. Madagascar will most likely have longer legs too.
Old 05-28-05, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by scott shelton
Interesting statement...
I should have said weak numbers by comparison. The Memorial Day Weekend CGI movies of years past (Nemo, Shrek 2), have given Madagascar a lot to live up to. I figured it would pull in at least $20 million on Friday alone.
Old 05-28-05, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Not surprising that SW is dropping like a stone. That picture was insanely front-loaded, and IMHO not worth the repeat viewing. Still, it at this rate it might still end up in the $350 mill range, which puts it well above AOTC.

Madagascar will have a HUGE bump today. It will probably take the weekend.
Old 05-28-05, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
ah, I though dogtown came out this weekend for some reason.

Interesting numbers. I'm thinking that Madagascar will squeek by and beat out Episode III on saturday and sunday.. if not on monday for sure. seems more like a weekend/kids film than anything else.
Old 05-28-05, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I'd agree about Madagascar taking the weekend. Too bad Star Wars didn't so better, it would have been neat to see it take a run at Episode one and so forth. But I can't say I'm surprised, since Star Wars fans I'm sure went out early to see this one.
Old 05-28-05, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
If the numbers hold will ROTS be the first Star Wars movie to not maintain the number one spot for more than a week?
Old 05-28-05, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm not sure I'd call Sith's gross "dropping like a stone." It still very well could drop less then 50%, and coming off its 108 million opening and very heavy competition (we've got ttwo big films which could gross 50 million over the 3 day) it's holding well. It's still on course to beat Spiderman 2 and still has every chance to cross 400 million. Lastly, I don't expect The Longest Yard to hold as well as Madagascar or Star Wars so I think Star Wars still might be nunber one this weekend.
Old 05-28-05, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
of course.. these are still projections
and rots far surpassed projections last weekend.. but when you make that much money up front, it will he hard to match

but memorial day weekend is a big movie going weekend as well..

through thursday:
Domestic: $200,442,739 56.2%
+ Overseas: $156,418,058 43.8%

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

= Worldwide: $356,860,797
Old 05-28-05, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

pulling for star wars
Old 05-28-05, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm thinking Star Wars will take the weekend. With $15 mill for the top 2 movies and $14 mill for the 3rd it's a big weekend.
Old 05-28-05, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If this was a three day weekend, today would be the day to look at which movie will become number one; but it is a four-day weekend, so at this point of the game, any of those three films could easily become number one depending what happens today and tomorrow. Star Wars may be the champion, but who knows...

Points to consider:
> Last week, Star Wars had a nifty bump up from Friday to Saturday.
> CGI films have a huge increase on Saturdays from Fridays.
> Word on the street is that Longest Yard is actually a good movie.
> It also helps that all 3 films are rated PG/PG-13.
Old 05-28-05, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I hope it will.
Why?

-JP
Old 05-28-05, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

After 9 days, Spider-man 2 had $211 mil and Star Wars $215 mil.....very close.
Old 05-28-05, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
IMO, the film is garbage. And I would like it to fail so I don't have to sit through another Catherine Hardwicke film. She seriously cannot put together a decent film. And that fucking handheld camera... arg!
Sweet Christ, I just agreed with Scotty on something...

I fucking HATED "Thirteen": an overrated, overwrought, self-important rancid pile of nothingness posing as raw, fiercely independent cinema. The fact that it even introduced Nikki Reed to the world -- for whom I assure the world I will not have a single filthy thought about until January 17, 2006 -- cannot redeem anything from that piece of tripe. Just awful.

I'm not pulling for DOGTOWN to bomb (although it will), but it's gonna have to garner some absolutely MAGNIFICENT reviews in order to drag my tired ass into the theater.
Old 05-28-05, 05:20 PM

I always find it funny when people say that Thirteen is "posing as" such and such. Catherine Hardwicke dated a guy for quite some time. That guy had a daughter (Nikki Reed). Once Hardwicke and Reed's father separated, the two remained close. Reed was having troubles in her personal life, and in an effort to give her something constructive to focus on, Hardwicke decided to use her story as the basis for her first directorial effort.

So, the two co-wrote the screenplay, and set out to make a film loosely based on Reed's experiences. Reading anything more into it is pointless. To baselessly claim that it was trying to "pose as raw" is just silly. If it came off as anything remotely resembling "raw and fiercely independent," (or even as a film pretending to be such), that's due to peoples' own interpretations of the final product...not to the intent of those involved.

...and more directly:

And I would like it to fail so I don't have to sit through another Catherine Hardwicke film. She seriously cannot put together a decent film.
You don't have to sit through anything. Nobody is making you see her films. Beyond that, though...how do you know that she "can't put together a decent film?" She's made one feature (that happened to garner a good bit of attention and even a little acclaim). How many directors, even the best of the best, are capable of having their whole careers judged based on their first feature?

I'm by no means a Michael Bay fan, but it doesn't mean I'm going to hope that his films start to flop at the box office. I just won't go out of my way to see them. No harm done. I can understand a distaste for directorial nuances, but to go as far as to hold ill-wishes for everything a one-time director has her name attached to seems petty.

Just my $0.02, though...and maybe I'm a bit biased.

-JP

Last edited by NatrlBornThrllr; 05-28-05 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-28-05, 09:10 PM

Again, I've see DOGTOWN. I disliked it. It's not petty anymore. Maybe at one point, but not anymore.
It is, though. Even if you've seen and disliked the film, it's petty to hope that it doesn't do well at the box office. Distaste for a film (actor, director, or whatever the case may be) is no reason to hold ill-intent toward a particular film. I'm not a fan of Peter Segal movies. In fact, I've only seen one that I actually enjoyed on some level (and that one came out a decade ago). Does that mean that I'm going to hope against all hopes that The Longest Yard flops at the box office? No. Why? Because plenty of people loved Anger Management, The 50 First Dates, and Nutty Professor II.

If there are people out there who enjoy what Peter Segal is doing with his career, then who am I to wish upon a star that his films flop and he's put out of work? It just seems petty (not to mention selfish, in that you'd rather the fans of that person's work not get any fresh pictures to enjoy, all so that you don't have to fill some self-imposed obligation to see whatever works they put out [knowing at the onset that you likely won't enjoy what you see]).

-JP
Old 05-28-05, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
After 9 days, Spider-man 2 had $211 mil and Star Wars $215 mil.....very close.
of course.. for star wars, your still working off estimates

ESTIMATES to be revised MONDAY afternoon with ACTUAL numbers. Weekend studio estimates will be reported Sunday morning in the Weekend section. All current numbers you see anywhere during the weekend are estimates
Old 05-28-05, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I expected Madagascar to do better since at only 86 minutes long, you can show it more than most movies. You can show Madagascar 3 times in the time it takes to show 2 ROTS screenings.
Old 05-28-05, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dabaomb
I expected Madagascar to do better since at only 86 minutes long, you can show it more than most movies. You can show Madagascar 3 times in the time it takes to show 2 ROTS screenings.
The trick is to actually get people in there to see those 3 screenings.
Old 05-29-05, 01:12 AM

For what it's worth I saw Dogtown last week and I have to go with Shelton on this one. This was a 100 minute movie that felt like 4 hours. I thought Catherine Hardwicke did a decent enough job on Thirteen for a first film to warrant a second gig....but this film showed nothing new or interesting to me and I wanted this movie to succeed badly, (I loved Dogtown & The Z-Boys) It just left me wishing I still had my $10 back.

The above paragraph is opinion only. There is no need to attack it as has been happening lately on this forum. An opinion cannot hurt you.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.