Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What's The Difference between the US R1 DVD of Audition in a Digi-pack & a Keep Case?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

What's The Difference between the US R1 DVD of Audition in a Digi-pack & a Keep Case?

Old 05-27-05, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a US Region 1 DVD of Takashi Miike's Audition released by American Cinematheque/Chimera Entertainment at Best Buy about a year ago, and it was the UNRATED DIRECTOR'S CUT IN A KEEP CASE. Now, the few I've seen since then that I bought to resell have also been in a keep case and released the same year with all the same extras by the same company, only they're all RATED "R" now.

I did a little research and found that there was a digi-pack version of the same movie released about the same time by the same company with the same extras, and apparently all of those say that they are the Unrated Director's Cut. I currently own a copy of both versions. The keep case version that claims to be Rated "R" says it's 113 mins. long, and the digi-pack version says it's the Unrated Director's Cut and is 115 mins. long.

I've heard several possible explanations here, but they don't quite add up. I've heard that the R Rated version was just released as the keep case version and that the Unrated Director's Cut was just released in the Digi-Pack. However, I know for a fact that I bought Audition last year at Best Buy and that it was the Unrated Director's Cut in a keep case and not a digi-pack. In fact, I'd never even seen a digi-pack release of the movie anywhere until it was out of print. Also, all the keep case versions I saw at different Best Buy stores were all labeled as the Unrated Director's Cut.

I can't even find much information that proves that there's even supposed to be a keep case release in the first place. E-bay only lists the info for the Digi-Pack version, UPC code and all. Also, the place I always go to to compare different versions of movies, dvdcompare.net only lists one R1 version of Audition, and that's the Digi-Pack version. The covers are exactly the same, the extras are exactly the same, and I'm not quite sure that I notice any difference in the films. However, I just sold a guy the keep case version and claimed it was the uncut version, thinking that it was. I didn't even know there was an edited version. Now, he's mad cause it doesn't say it's the director's cut.

I've got a bit of a dilemma here. Are there really any differences. Was Audition released as Unrated in the keep case and then re-rated for US reprints? I don't know, but I need some kind of explanation.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS. Feel free to e-mail me.
Old 05-27-05, 09:20 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what I remember, the digi-pack was a limited edition unrated edition. It has the same features as the unrated keepcase version. I have never seen the R-rated, so I can't tell you about that.
Old 05-27-05, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The difference between the R & Unrated versions of the film is the last half of the film. The unrated version is explicit and shows much of what happens to the guy onscreen,along with other disturbing imagery. The R version deletes the majority of the graphic footage and implies the material.

ie-we see the foot slicing in the unrated version,while it is not shown in the R version.

Also in terms of packaging. It says "Unrated Directors Cut" on the lower half of the cover. + unrated/not rated on the back. While on the R version,the cover states nothing. But it shows an R on the back of the package and rating reason.

So since you made a mistake. You should probably refund the buyer and have him mail the disc back to you(you should pay for the shipping this time). Make sure he mails you the disc first,then refund him once you receive it,to avoid being scammed.

Last edited by Julie Walker; 05-27-05 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-28-05, 12:25 AM
Banned

Funny thing is that people are still paying pretty good money on ebay for a film that is going to be re-released later this year with an anamorphic transfer and in its unrated version with more or less the same extras.
Old 05-28-05, 01:05 AM

I agree DX,thus I am waiting for that release
Old 05-28-05, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I've personally only watched the Unrated version. I just couldn't explain why I was able to buy it in a keep case form...thus making me think that all of them were unrated.

I just hope I'll be able to sell the couple of copies I still have while I can get a good bit for them. The Lions Gate re-release date is August 23, and I don't expect any delays or setbacks for this release.
Old 05-28-05, 02:30 AM

You're welcome and sell away immediately! You may not be able to be $100+ for them,but even $40 or anything over $20 is good. Especially with the looming rerelease.
Old 05-28-05, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The digipak version was released first in a limited run I believe, so after these were all gone they switched it to a keepcase.
Old 05-28-05, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have the digipack back at home, I'll check it out for you when I go back next week.