Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Obi-Wan is the greatest Jedi with the lightsaber

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-27-05, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was thinking about this the other day. Call me crazy but Obi-Wan has:

1. Defeated Darth Maul when he was an apprentice
2. Lost to Dooku, however didn't lose any limbs
3. Defeated General Grievious
4. Defeated Anakin Skywalker

Anytime I get in these nerdy debates I always proclaim Obi-Wan as the greatest Jedi fighter. I still give props to Darth Maul as the greatest Sith. Love to have seen a Anakin/Maul fight.
Old 05-27-05, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would say Darth Sidious wasn't too bad too as a fighter. Yes, he technically lost to Mace Windu, but he destroyed those other jedi arresting him.

And yeah, I have to agree with you, Obi-Wan is the greatest jedi fighter. I'm sure many people will be voting for Yoda, though.
Old 05-27-05, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The ROTS novelization lists Obi-Wan as the only master of the most basic, defensive lightsaber posture that is used to introduce younglings to swordplay.

Last edited by silentbob007; 05-27-05 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-27-05, 08:19 AM

the greatest DEFENSIVE fighter possibly. he's not much on offense though
Old 05-27-05, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Simply put, Ben is the only Jedi in the films to kill a Sith in combat.

Dooku's death wasn't combat, that was just an execution.
Old 05-27-05, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No argument here about Obi-Wan being the best. He defeated the major players of the empire.
Old 05-27-05, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Simply put, Ben is the only Jedi in the films to kill a Sith in combat.

Dooku's death wasn't combat, that was just an execution.
What are you talking about? Anakin beat Dooku and then killed him. Anakin was the one who put him in the position to be killed. Reaching pretty deep to try to prove your point.

Last edited by Ketamine; 05-27-05 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-27-05, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, Obi-Wan appears to be the greatest. Although, as easily as the Jedi were killed, that might not mean much.
Old 05-27-05, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

hard to say... there is no question that ROTS changed how I felt about Obiwans bad-ass factor. He definitely rocks. Still, it is worth noting that Dooku beats him twice... the only reason Dooku doesn't kill him either time is someone else saves his butt. Additionally, in RotS Vader basically does a suicide charge in his rage, thats why he loses, not because of mad Obi skills. In ANH Vader pays him back.

I know he's not a Jedi, but I think the emporer is the ultimate bad azz. Him "losing" to Mace was his way of getting Anakin over to the dark side. I don't believe for a minute that Mace "beat" him. He absolutely slaughtered the 2 master jedi that arrive with Mace... they both die in like 2 seconds, even tho its 3 Jedi masters vs one sith. The emporer didn't seem to have a problem with Yoda either.

j
Old 05-27-05, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jekbrown
The emporer didn't seem to have a problem with Yoda either.
Excuse me? Yoda gave as good as he got. That fight was more like a 14 round Ali-Frasier fight.
Old 05-27-05, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
would anakin still be considered a jedi when he lost to obi-wan?
Old 05-27-05, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
would anakin still be considered a jedi when he lost to obi-wan?
Considering he was called Darth Vader at the time? No
Old 05-27-05, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson
Excuse me? Yoda gave as good as he got. That fight was more like a 14 round Ali-Frasier fight.
Agreed. I thought this fight alone settled the fact that Palpatine was not unbeatable but rather a very powerful adversary.
Old 05-27-05, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I still give props to Darth Maul as the greatest Sith.
Are you kidding me?

He is probably the weakest of the sith. I don't even remember him using the force in TPM. He just jumped around and tried to look scary. He's the Star Wars equivalent of the T1000; he has a menacing appearance, but when you think about it, he only has one type of attack.
Old 05-27-05, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Darth Maul did push Qui-Gonn and Obi-Wan back a few times with the force. Yeah he doesn't shoot lightning out of his hands but he's still a very agile badass.
Old 05-28-05, 11:21 AM

If you're the type into the EU then this wikipedia page explains it all:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_f...htsaber_combat
Old 05-30-05, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Obi-Wan is good maybe even great, but I question his action towards the end of the movie. He doesn't want to kill Anakin, but he knows he has to. But rather than kill Anakin (which would have made Ep's IV - VI never happen) he lectures him as Ani is suffering a fate worse than death. The honorable and Jedi thing to do would have been to take Ani out of his misery. Because he didn't Obi-Wan is not the G.O.A.T.
Old 05-30-05, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by POWERBOMB
But rather than kill Anakin (which would have made Ep's IV - VI never happen) he lectures him as Ani is suffering a fate worse than death. The honorable and Jedi thing to do would have been to take Ani out of his misery. Because he didn't Obi-Wan is not the G.O.A.T.

Well, episode 4-6 would have happened. Palpatine would have found another apprentice I'm sure, and the plans to the deathstar would have still been stolen, so they would have ended up over tattoine, and luke would have been discovered. I mean i gues you could argue that maybe the new apprentice wouldn't have let Luke live, or maybe they would have killed Leia instead of capturing her, but technically it would have happened
Old 05-31-05, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It would have been hard for Palpatine to find another apprentice since he had Anakin and the clone troopers kill all the Jedi. It's not like any Jar Jar can be strong with the force. Episode 4 - 6 would have sucked without Vadar. I guess Palpatine could have searched for Obi-Won and tried to turn him.
Old 06-01-05, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by silentbob007
The ROTS novelization lists Obi-Wan as the only master of the most basic, defensive lightsaber posture that is used to introduce younglings to swordplay.
I guess he was slacking off instead of teaching the younglings at the Jedi Temple defense then?

On another note did Anakin going Mr. Blonde on the younglings at the temple remind anyone of that arguement on "How many 5 year olds could you fight in a room" we had a while back?

Last edited by cmatherne; 06-01-05 at 02:25 AM.
Old 06-02-05, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

True. But even more perplexing is that one could argue his Master Qui-Gon was one of the worst Jedis w/a lightsaber. Qui-Gon only onscreen fight was with Darth Maul, and while he matched him equally for a bit, ultimately Maul killed him. His Pad-Wan Obi Wan killed Maul. So was Kenobi perfectly trained at being a Jedi through Qui-Gon or naturally gifted?
Old 06-03-05, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson
I don't mean that the Emporer smacked Yoda down or anything... but in the end, Yoda does retreat and admit that he failed. We don't see Yoda really do anything that can't be countered by the Emporer, but the Emporer always has his lightning. If I remember correctly, the first bolt 'o' lightning bounced yoda off a wall or something. He may have been able to catch Dooku lightning in his hand and make it go away, but Empy lightning and Dooku lightning aren't the same thing apparently.

btw, no one seems to mention Dooku in all this best swordsman talk. The guy beats Anakin once, Obi-Wan twice, ties yoda & i assume does some other butt kickin in the clone wars toons.... not a bad record.

j
Old 06-03-05, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When 900 years old you reach, fight as good, you will not... hmmm.
Old 06-04-05, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gotta disagree. Mace Windu was the best with the lightsaber. It was his skills with a lightsaber that defeated Palpatine, the most powerful Sith in all the films, and if it weren't for Anakin he would have won.
Old 06-05-05, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Mace couldn't defeat Dooku in Ep.II nor could he really defeat Palpatine in Ep III. Outside of that did Mace really do anything with his saber?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.