Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Osmonds

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-05, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Osmonds

Yes, the Osmonds! Oh, yeah, and I'm actually going to say something positive. When I was 7-years-old I was grooving to their album "Crazy Horses" and ended up with many more of their albums as a kid. 30+ years later I'm hearing some of these songs for the first time and I'm actually kind of surprised. This stuff is not all "Puppy Love". Actually a few decent little power pop moments. As Beatles-inspired power pop is one of my favorite styles I can also see how the Osmonds actually probably helped push that along in my childhood influences.

I'm being totally serious! Of course, I wouldn't say they are THAT worthy of praise, but it's a bit of a shock to me hearing these songs. Moog, theremin... bunch of guitar crunch on some songs.

Now, back to the Sonics.
Old 05-26-05, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Osmonds rocked! I grew up listening to songs like "Puppy Love," "Go Away Little Girl," "Sweet and Innocent" with Donny on lead vocals, and Marie's song "Paper Roses." "One Bad Apple" was another favorite of mine back then.

I'm also a proud fan of The Partridge Family too.

I wish they'd put out like a Greatest Hits cd for The Osmonds and maybe a DVD recapping the fame they had bad in the 70's.

Remember the DeFranco's? They were awesome too....

I loved Donnie and Marie's "signature" song they sung on their weekly show about being a little bit country, and a little bit rock 'n' roll.
Old 05-26-05, 08:22 AM

Received 804 Likes on 523 Posts
Donnie was on the radio the other day to promote his 64th(?) album which is a smooth jazz album that is dropping in a few weeks.
Old 05-26-05, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jpdude
The Osmonds rocked! I grew up listening to songs like "Puppy Love," "Go Away Little Girl," "Sweet and Innocent" with Donny on lead vocals, and Marie's song "Paper Roses." "One Bad Apple" was another favorite of mine back then.
Actually, I don't really like those songs you listed. I was kind of thinking about a bunch of tunes that were never hits. There definitely is a greatest hits CD out there if you look for it. However, I noticed that their proper albums are much harder to find on disc.
Old 05-26-05, 10:25 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Marie had a pretty good afternoon radio show for a while recently. It's not on in this market anymore, don't know if it's on elsewhere.
Old 05-26-05, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Donnie was able to pull off one helluva comeback with his hits "Soldier of Love" and "Sacred Emotion" from his self-titled CD back in 1989. That was an awesome album and a great year for him.
Old 05-27-05, 09:05 AM

Found these 2 interesting looking Osmond cd's on Amazon.ca

Old 05-28-05, 09:26 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I can vouch for Osmondmania. Has everything you could possibly want in a compilation CD and it is well-mastered too. Very thorough and very well done.
Old 05-28-05, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was too in love with Marie to notice Donny too much. I used to really enjoy their television show. I wish they'd release a DVD box for that.