Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

In Good Company and 12 Monkeys unopened...

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
View Poll Results: To Open and Offically Add or Not
Open Both and enjoy the new additions to the collection, screw Universal if they double dip you
66.67%
Open 12 Monkeys, there are no rumors of another addition
17.95%
Open In Good Company, there are no rumors of another addition
7.69%
Open None of them, because Universal is out to get you
7.69%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-25-05, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone, I got another problem...

I have an unopened In Good Company and a 12 Monkeys, and I not sure if i should open them. The In Good Company is the recent release and I'm not sure if there's a double dip or not coming. Any news on it? Has anyone heard anything about a special edition or some other crazy-titled edition of it coming?
Now the 12 Monkeys is already a Special Edition; but the question I have is, is there another edition coming? This movie has a slight cult following, so it has potential to receive another edition. This, plus the fact that its just as good as Brad Pitt's other crazy cult flicks [ie: Fight Club and Seven] that have received super bulky additions leads me to believe that this edition of 12 Monkeys can't be the "final edition" other than a re-release by reason of new format. So what to do, should I open them? I've seen both movies, it just should offically add them to the collection? Only thing left to do is, Poll It!!!
Old 05-25-05, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

IGC is a great movie that, unfortunately, hardly anyone saw. Given that, I doubt there will be another edition of the film. Open it, enjoy it.

Same thing w/12 Monkeys - just enjoy it.
Old 05-25-05, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't you have to have a certain number of posts before you can start a poll in order to prevent this type of thread?

Stew
Old 05-25-05, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Open them up and watch them
Old 05-25-05, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If it's the new 12 Monkeys SE, open it and enjoy. The transfer is better than the previous CE or DTS release and - just a guess here - it's probably the last time that it will be issued on the current DVD format. That said, 12 Monkeys has been announced as an early HD-DVD/BluRay release and I'd wager another guess that the current transfer has been down converted from the hi-def master. Something to consider if/when you plan on buying in to HD-DVD/BluRay.
Old 05-25-05, 05:52 PM

Personally I don't understand why people buy dvds when it isn't for the sole purpose of watching them, seems like there are a lot of people on this forum who buy them for different reasons.
Old 05-25-05, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by ArchibaldTuttle
Personally I don't understand why people buy dvds when it isn't for the sole purpose of watching them, seems like there are a lot of people on this forum who buy them for different reasons.
Oh, i buy the movie to watch the movie. But i like my extras, have my cake and eat it too type-a-thing. And i want the best copy of the DVD in its format class, whether it be arcadic VHS, DVD, and when it comes time HD/BluRay.
Old 05-25-05, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DON'T OPEN THEM. UNIVERSAL WILL RELEASE BETTER VERSIONS SOON AND YOU'LL BE VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY SORRY THAT YOU DID.

My head hurts.
Old 05-25-05, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In Good Company is great. I can watch it over and over. Open it. It has a 16x9 transfer and 5.1 sound, which is the only 2 things you need to watch the movie. If a better version comes out later, rent it to watch the features that you'll only watch once anyways.
Old 05-25-05, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TheNightFlier
Open them up and watch them
What he said...
Old 05-25-05, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Keep them sealed on your shelf for exactly 8 years and 1 month and 17 days. If, at such time, no new edition has come out with an additional 10-minute featurette, feel free to open and enjoy.

WARNING: Opening sooner can cause severe anxiety and discomfort. And facial acne.
Old 05-25-05, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tofferman
What he said...
Ditto!
Old 05-25-05, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I doubt IGC will be released once again, so open it. But as you said, 12 Monkeys has a rather big following and a better edition may come out.
Old 05-25-05, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Then again, I didn't expect a new release of Napoleon Dynamite or Dodge Ball...

Ugh, just open them and watch the great films. If they come out with new releases, just unload the versions you own to help pay for the new versions if you really need to have the absolute best release.
Old 05-25-05, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by paulringodaman
But as you said, 12 Monkeys has a rather big following and a better edition may come out.
Or, looking at it another way, 12 Monkeys just got it's first re-release in about 7 years. And it happened 2-3 weeks ago. And it was radically similar to the first release.

I think you're probably pretty safe for a while.
Old 05-25-05, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Frankly I'd say you should sell all of your other belongings, go to the top of some distant mountain with your two DVDs, and just meditate on it for a few months. Clearly there is no other current situation in the world more demanding of thought than this.
Old 05-26-05, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DragonRomeo
But i like my extras, have my cake and eat it too type-a-thing.
Actually it sounds like you want to have your cake, but not eat it.

Seriously, double-dips do appear to be the bane of the most DVD collectors' existences, but I think you're taking this to a new and somewhat disturbing level. Just open the DVDs, watch them, and stop being weird about this.
Old 05-26-05, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts
open both. enjoy both.
Old 05-26-05, 09:04 AM

I was going to respond, but I don't think anything I say would be better than what bboisvert said.
Old 05-26-05, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by asianxcore
open both. enjoy both.
Old 05-26-05, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
If you don't want to open it why did you buy it?
Old 05-26-05, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Wannabe
DON'T OPEN THEM. UNIVERSAL WILL RELEASE BETTER VERSIONS SOON AND YOU'LL BE VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY SORRY THAT YOU DID.
Oh look. A sailboat.
Old 05-26-05, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by SFranke
Oh look. A sailboat.
It's not a sailboat, it's a schooner