Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

I guess R2D2 loses his jet pack between trilogies?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-05, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have thought that when they whiped C3P0's memory, they would have removed the flying featuring fo R2D2.

I guess that he loses it between the two trilogies. Even they turn that power off or he's so old by A New Hope that it just doesn't work. Like so man other things in the galaxy.
Old 05-25-05, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
True. When Luke, Ben, and the others are going down the steps to Docking Bay 94, you can see R2 awkwardly "gliding" down the steps.
Old 05-25-05, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I forgot which thread, but I posted that I figured Anakin, who rigged R2 anyway based on what I've heard, was no longer able to work on R2 since he was no longer his owner. So as stuff broke, (ran out of fuel, etc) they just let it go. Or didn't know it existed in the first place, as there's not much call for jet packs when you are serving drinks at the Queen's gala.
Old 05-25-05, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anakin is good with machines and has done a lot of tinkering on R2. (He and Obi-Wan even banter a bit about R2's "mis-wiring" in the elevator in Episode III.)

I assume that after 18 years, most of these little extras have broken and there's no one with enough understanding of these "aftermarket additions" to fix them.
Old 05-25-05, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Or maybe the Jawas took them apart so he couldn't fly away. They did put a restraining bolt on him, after all.
Old 05-25-05, 04:07 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's something that Lucas should of explained, kinda ruins it when he flies.
Old 05-25-05, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Fok
It's something that Lucas should of explained, kinda ruins it when he flies.
why would Lucas need to explain that? you have no imagination of your own? personally i think the need to explain every little detail is one of the biggest problems of the PT
Old 05-25-05, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did he ever need a reason to fly in the OT? Maybe that's why he didn't.
Old 05-25-05, 04:17 PM

He never should have flown in the first place - that was just LAME!!!!
Old 05-25-05, 04:27 PM

Location: Chicago...NOT my kind of town, I hate urban living, but have no choice
No..it wasnt lame

No..it didnt ruin things by R2 flying

No..Lucas didnt need to "explain" yet again something that ones own personal imagination should be sufficient to make up reasons why...

Help me Lord....

For I know more is to come...

Last edited by AeroStone; 05-25-05 at 04:29 PM.
Old 05-25-05, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 272 Likes on 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Daytrip
why would Lucas need to explain that? you have no imagination of your own? personally i think the need to explain every little detail is one of the biggest problems of the PT
They never explained why Luke's boots are brown, why Cliff Clavin was on Hoth but Norm wasn't, and why Lando has a cape.

Damn Lucas!

waaahhh!!!!!!!!

Old 05-25-05, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

A lot of things can change in 20 years. No big deal.
Old 05-25-05, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Alvis
A lot of things can change in 20 years. No big deal.
But you'd think after R2 gets such an extreme repair job after taking that blaster hit at the end of "A New Hope," the rockets would have worked.

I figure next time Lucas tinkers with the PT we'll have a flying R2.
Old 05-25-05, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
But you'd think after R2 gets such an extreme repair job after taking that blaster hit at the end of "A New Hope," the rockets would have worked.
It was just an example of the man trying to keep the blue brother down!
Old 05-26-05, 09:49 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
this was another aspect of "Revenge of the Sith" that just bothered me to no avail, R2 has all these neat gizmos and stuff and by Episode 4 he reverts to a small garbage can on wheels.
Old 05-26-05, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree - like so many other inconsistencies between the PT and the OT.

To chalk it up to "oh use your imaginination" is ironically unimaginative (you know, sort of like forcing in Chewbacca, Boba Fett, etc.)

When could/should R2 have used it in the OT? How about: when he fell off the X-wing into the water on Dagobah; when he got thrown out of the water; when he was about to get caught by Jawas; when the Ewoks had him. There are an infinite amount of times he "could have" used the rockets and didn't.

Really all it comes down to is this: they couldn't do that kind of thing in 1977, and with digital technology they could in 2005. So Lucas tried to put as much "cool stuff" into the newer films, and that's why they don't gel with the OT.

All that said, I like watching him fly and don't even think about it when watching the OT. It's just shit I think of afterwards.
Old 05-26-05, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Please people...don't give George any ideas...you know he'll go back and change more of the scenes that we love!
Old 05-26-05, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I think it's IRONIC how

Anakin shows so much love for R2-D2, especially in the PHANTOM MENACE and SITH dogfights,

and yet he blows the shit out of R2-D2 during the Battle of Yavin in A NEW HOPE.
Old 05-27-05, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i hope i can still fly in 20 years...

i also think everyone forgets that lucas can still special edition the hell out of some r2 booster rockets for the OT if he wants
Old 06-01-05, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought it was pretty dumb too. In fact, the droids pretty much ruined the latter parts of AOTC, with R2 flying and C3PO's head on the battle droid..with bad pun after bad pun.

I caught the line in the elevator between Anakin and Obi Wan...something to the effect of "No jokes about bad wiring", which implies that Anakin had indeed made some mods. This of course begs the question, "When?"

Padme had posession of R2 at the beginning of AOTC, so the only time that Anakin had to install rocket boosters would have been during their time on Naboo. I don't know about you guys, but it looked to me like making R2 fly was about the last thing on his mind in Naboo.

Don't get me wrong, it's not the end of the world, and my childhood is fine, but I was just finally getting into AOTC, and was completely pulled back out when R2 busted out those rocket packs. It was just dumb.

It was handled much better in ROTS though.
Old 06-01-05, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's possible no one thought much about R2 after ROTS that he just broke down and no one thought of fixing him. And it's also possible the Jawas disabled his flying ability. No one thought of fixing all these little features after all that time.

Also, he did have other gadgets in ROTJ.

Originally Posted by jeffkjoe
I think it's IRONIC how

Anakin shows so much love for R2-D2, especially in the PHANTOM MENACE and SITH dogfights,

and yet he blows the shit out of R2-D2 during the Battle of Yavin in A NEW HOPE.
If he even cared about R2 after all these years of being Vader, how would he know it's even R2 on that X-Wing? He looks like millions of other droids.
Old 06-01-05, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 512 Likes on 353 Posts
How many of you have 20 year old cars in which all the power windows, the cruise control, and the AC still work like new?
Old 06-01-05, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Class316
If he even cared about R2 after all these years of being Vader, how would he know it's even R2 on that X-Wing? He looks like millions of other droids.
Exactly. For such an imaginative universe, there sure are a lot of viewers that have zero imagination and can't think for themselves.

Padme had posession of R2 at the beginning of AOTC, so the only time that Anakin had to install rocket boosters would have been during their time on Naboo. I don't know about you guys, but it looked to me like making R2 fly was about the last thing on his mind in Naboo.
Not a personal dig, but a culmination of the hundreds of similar type posts:

Sometimes a little actual thinking may be required. How much time passed between the two films? 10 years? Do you really think that every moment of his life is chronicled on film or needs to be? I think in the time span of 3,650 days he might have taken one day off and maybe felt like tinkering with R2 or Threepio, easy as that.

I don't know about you but I have a wife, I have a child, I have a job and I have household chores, and at one point had school as well, yet I still manage to have time for hobbies. Why not Anakin?

I swear to cover all the inane shit that some people need to have spelled out for them, each movie would be 6 hours long. Creative thinking, people, it is a good thing, try it out sometime.
Old 06-01-05, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Not a personal dig, but a culmination of the hundreds of similar type posts:

Sometimes a little actual thinking may be required. How much time passed between the two films? 10 years? Do you really think that every moment of his life is chronicled on film or needs to be? I think in the time span of 3,650 days he might have taken one day off and maybe felt like tinkering with R2 or Threepio, easy as that.

I don't know about you but I have a wife, I have a child, I have a job and I have household chores, and at one point had school as well, yet I still manage to have time for hobbies. Why not Anakin?

I swear to cover all the inane shit that some people need to have spelled out for them, each movie would be 6 hours long. Creative thinking, people, it is a good thing, try it out sometime.
Easy killer...I have all those things as well...and I'm certainly not losing any sleep over Star Wars.

10 years is irrelevent. Padme had R2. Anakin had not seen Padme in those 10 years, so it's reasonable to assume that he had not seen R2 either. He basically had a bit of time on Coruscant, a bit of time on Naboo, and a bit of time on Tatooine to make R2 fly. I can suspend disbelief and assume that he found the time, but even that doesn't change the fact that it was a stupid idea. I guess when R2 flew across the room, some folks thought "COOL!" and others thought "WHAT THE FUCK?" I was firmly in the WTF camp.

Of course, a rolling trash can is about the worst robot design imaginable in the first place, but that's another story. Either way, my disbelief is suspended...and I enjoyed the movie quite a bit. Further, I thought the droids were used MUCH better in ROTS than they were in AOTC.
Old 06-01-05, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by chess
Easy killer...I have all those things as well...and I'm certainly not losing any sleep over Star Wars.

10 years is irrelevent. Padme had R2. Anakin had not seen Padme in those 10 years, so it's reasonable to assume that he had not seen R2 either. He basically had a bit of time on Coruscant, a bit of time on Naboo, and a bit of time on Tatooine to make R2 fly. I can suspend disbelief and assume that he found the time, but even that doesn't change the fact that it was a stupid idea. I guess when R2 flew across the room, some folks thought "COOL!" and others thought "WHAT THE FUCK?" I was firmly in the WTF camp.

Of course, a rolling trash can is about the worst robot design imaginable in the first place, but that's another story. Either way, my disbelief is suspended...and I enjoyed the movie quite a bit. Further, I thought the droids were used MUCH better in ROTS than they were in AOTC.

I pulled your name off the quote b/c it wasn't directed at you in any way. Just a culmination of all these silly threads that need no explanation. one example: Why do Anakin, Owen, Beru, and Obi-Wan age so horrifically in the 20 years post-ROTS? I know some are in good fun but others are just nonsense.

But, all in good fun.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.