Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

THE LONGEST YARD review thread...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-05, 01:33 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VARIETY...

The Longest Yard

A Paramount Pictures release (in the U.S.) of a Paramount Pictures and Columbia Pictures presentation of a Happy Madison/MTV Film production in association with Callahan Filmworks. Produced by Jack Giarraputo. Executive producers, Adam Sandler, Van Toffler, David Gale, Barry Bernardi, Allen Covert, Tim Herlihy, Michael Ewing, Albert S. Ruddy. Co-producer, Heather Parry. Directed by Peter Segal. Screenplay, Sheldon Turner, based on the film written by Tracy Keenan Wynn from a story by Albert S. Ruddy.

Paul Crewe - Adam Sandler
Caretaker - Chris Rock
Nate Scarborough - Burt Reynolds
Meggert - Nelly
Warden Hazen - James Cromwell
Captain Knauer - William Fichtner
Deacon Moss - Michael Irvin
Unger - David Patrick Kelly
Guard Lambert - Bill Romanowski
Battle - Bill Goldberg
Guard Garner - Brian Bosworth
Guard Engleheart - Kevin Nash
Guard Dunham - Steve Austin
Switowski - Bob Sapp
Turley - Dalip Singh
Lynette - Cloris Leachman
Brucie - Nicholas Turturro
Ms. Tucker - Tracy Morgan
Cheeseburger Eddy - Terry Crews
Torres - Lobo Sebastian
Duane - Ed Lauter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By JOE LEYDON
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's way too early for comparisons to Jack Lemmon and Billy Wilder, or even to Jerry Lewis and Frank Tashlin, but Adam Sandler and helmer Peter Segal can boast yet another solidly commercial collaboration: "The Longest Yard," a shrewdly updated yet surprisingly faithful remake of Robert Aldrich's 1974 football-behind-bars dramedy starring Burt Reynolds. Sandler impressively assumes the Reynolds role here, with strong support by Reynolds himself and a slightly restrained but frequently hilarious Chris Rock. This mass-appeal crowd-pleaser is poised to score sturdy numbers during its opening weekend kick-off. Play-off should be leggy, and followed by huge post-season vid numbers.

The second reprise of an Aldrich pic to hit screens in recent months, following underrated and under-performing "Flight of the Phoenix," "Longest Yard" rarely strays far from the original playbook scripted by Tracy Keenan Wynn (from a story by producer Albert S. Ruddy, who returns as an exec producer for the remake).

Revised screenplay credited to Sheldon Turner -- and possibly enhanced by ad-libs from Sandler, Rock and others -- allows more room for broader comedy, whichlets Sandler and Segal (reunited after "Anger Management" and "50 First Dates") play to their strengths. But rough-and-tumble of climactic gridiron match-up between prisoners and guards is scarcely less violent here than in the R-rated original. Only the language appears to have been sanitized (Rock lobs only a single F-bomb) to obtain a PG-13 rating.

Disgraced former NFL quarterback Paul "Wrecking" Crewe (Sandler) rebels against his role as boy-toy for a rich bitch (played, fleetingly but shrewishly, by an unbilled Courteney Cox Arquette) by drunkenly joyriding in her expensive sports car. Violating terms of an earlier five-year probation for his role in a point-shaving scheme, Crewe winds up in a Texas federal penitentiary.

Warden Hazen (James Cromwell), a football fanatic with political ambitions, wants Crewe to help coach his semi-pro team of prison guards. But Captain Knauer (William Fichtner), the turf-conscious player-coach of the guards, makes it known he doesn't want Crewe's help.

Out among the prison population, Crewe gets an even frostier reception. Caretaker (Rock), a wheeler-dealer convict who befriends the otherwise friendless newcomer, explains: The convicts will forgive rape, murder, grand theft auto or writing bad checks, but shaving points in a football game crosses the line. It's "un-American," Caretaker says.

With a little help from grizzled sage Nate Scarborough (Reynolds), another NFL veteran doing hard time, Crewe recruits a team of inmates for a practice game against the guards. Joining up are Deacon Moss (former Dallas Cowboy Michael Irvin), Brucie (Nicholas Turturro) and Torres (Lobo Sebastian).

Rapper Nelly and pro wrestler Bill Goldberg also figure prominently on a team that defies the odds during the climactic, brutally funny half-hour grudge match. As in the original, for Crewe, the game is a shot at redemption. For his players, it's a chance to take a shot at the guards.

In its time, the original "Yard" was viewed by many as an ersatz companion piece to Aldrich's 1967 "The Dirty Dozen," underscoring similarities between criminal behavior and socially sanctioned violence.

Segal's "Yard" doesn't place much emphasis on subtext, although it makes some sharp satirical points by having the game attract national TV attention and several real-life sports commentators. (ESPN gets cable broadcast rights.) New version's final game, though sufficiently brutal, gets a lot more laughs than the earlier edition. Indeed, the remake as whole arguably is a slight improvement over the original, given its somewhat more disciplined tonal consistency.

Still, new pic is so faithful to its source that one major second-act plot development may be genuinely shocking to contemporary viewers (even those who have seen the original).

The final scene effectively reprises the finish of the original, right down to certain camera angles, with one novel twist: a quick cutaway to reaction shot of smiling Burt Reynolds, who appears in context to be granting his blessing to entire project.

Sandler smartly balances the script's mix of cynicism and sentiment in his ingratiating lead performance. (And he's physically persuasive as an ex-quarterback.) Reynolds' subtlety is a nifty balance to Rock's sarcasm. Cromwell provides an effective menacing counterbalance as the all-powerful warden.

Fichtner, Turturro, Tracy Morgan (as a saucy transvestite), Cloris Leachman (as a batty, horny secretary) and David Patrick Kelly (as a creepy squealer) are stand-outs among the supporting cast. Irvin effortlessly exudes natural screen presence -- as does sportscaster Jim Rome in a cameo. Look for Ed Lauter (the player-coach in '74 "Yard") in a wink-wink walk-on bit.

Slick tech package includes Dean Semler's ace lensing at the defunct Santa Fe State Penitentiary. Soundtrack includes many familiar pop standards, including the Hollies' "Long Cool Woman (in a Black Dress)" (cleverly employed for the training sequence).

In a 2001 remake of the same material, footballer-turned-actor Vinnie Jones played an imprisoned ex-soccer star who leads convicts against guards in Barry Skolnick's "Mean Machine."

With: Courteney Cox Arquette, Jim Rome, Dan Patrick, Chris Berman, Rob Schneider.

Camera (Deluxe color), Dean Semler; editor, Jeff Gourson; music, Teddy Castellucci; music supervisor, Michael Dilbeck; production designer, Perry Andelin Blake; supervising art director, Alan Au; art director, Domenic Silvestri; set decorator, Gary Fettis; costume designer, Ellen Lutter; sound (Dolby Digital/DTS/SDDS), Thomas Causey; associate producers, Kevin Grady, Marc C. Ganis; assistant director, John Hockridge; second unit directors, Doug Coleman, Dan Sweetman, Perry Blake; casting, John Papsidera. Reviewed at Edwards Greenway Palace 24, Houston, May 11, 2005. MPAA Rating: PG-13. Running time: 113 MIN.
Old 05-25-05, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I'm torn on this one. The original is a favorite of mine, so I'm going in with a chip on my shoulder. But they seem to really want to be faithful to the original. I hope it doesn't come out as slapstick as the trailers make it look however, because that would ruin it.
Old 05-26-05, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I'm torn on this one. The original is a favorite of mine, so I'm going in with a chip on my shoulder. But they seem to really want to be faithful to the original. I hope it doesn't come out as slapstick as the trailers make it look however, because that would ruin it.
Yeah, the mention of the "tonal consistency" sort of worries me. What made the original great was the greyed line between light humor and very dark material. However, it seems that they've kept in one of the big moments that I thought they'd do away with, and that gives me some hope.
Old 05-26-05, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I will not see this,to me it doesnt look good at all,and another reason why is im so sick of Hollywood running out of idea's and ruining original film's by slapping toghether a remake that never are as good as the original.
Old 05-26-05, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
early returns on RT are promising:

Reviews counted: 12
Fresh: 10 Rotten: 2

I'm usually the first in line to bitch about remakes, but this looks like one that may have been done right.....i'll be checking it out for sure.
Old 05-26-05, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
....actually early reviews are bad.

30% currently at RT

14 Rotten
6 Good

This film looks like pure crap IMHO.

Last edited by JumpCutz; 05-26-05 at 07:36 PM.
Old 05-27-05, 05:55 AM
Banned

They should have made it a sequal.
Have Burt play P. Crew and and still in prison and Sandler be a different superstar qb.
Old 05-27-05, 08:47 AM

Ebert - 3 Stars

REVIEW

"There was a dogged ridiculousness to the film that amused me, especially in the way Adam Sandler was cast as a star quarterback. Once you accept Sandler as a quarterback, you've opened up the backfield to the entire membership of the Screen Actors' Guild."

Filmjerk.com - A-

REVIEW

"The new, straightforward redo of “The Longest Yard” doesn’t quite stand as proudly at the 1974 version did. However, Adam Sandler and his cronies have turned this modest football tale into a larger sensory experience, and have made the film into something the original film could never be accused of being: hilariously, recklessly, and undeniably entertaining."
Old 05-27-05, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't see the Shokner character in that list.

Love the original, but this looks okay too. As long as Sandler doesn't do that baby voice.

Spoiler for the original & possibly this one:
I wonder if
Spoiler:
Rock gets burned to death like James Hampton in the original.
Old 05-27-05, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking at the cast list, it's no surprise Cromwell is the warden. If there is a movie that needs the old bad guy or the old guy who knows everything, you can automatically put Cromwell or Donald Sutherland in there.

I'll be checking this out today. Looks fun. I think it's cool they got some wrestlers to be in in.

When Adam Sandler first started his movie career, I never thought he'd end up starring in 2 football movies, let alone 1.
Old 05-27-05, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Spoiler for the original & possibly this one:
I wonder if
Spoiler:
Rock gets burned to death like James Hampton in the original.
Yes.
Old 05-27-05, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How long is Courtney Cox-Arquette in the movie? I hear she's barely in it.
Old 05-27-05, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by QuikSilver
How long is Courtney Cox-Arquette in the movie? I hear she's barely in it.
She's in the first 5 minutes, but her breasts will remain with you for a lifetime.
Old 05-27-05, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Check out the Sports Guy's review at ESPN: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/050527

And this is from someone that says they like Adam Sandler movies.

I'll refrain from seeing the remake myself. I love the original and don't find Adam Sandler movies funny, so seeing the remake would just be an exercise in sadomasochism for me. But it sounds like catching CC's first few minutes when it rolls around to pay-cable would be worth it!
Old 05-28-05, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hey, if you're Star War'd out, this movie will provide some comic relief with a wide array of characters that have fun with the material, though the plot was pretty sketchy at best.

If you've seen the trailers, you pretty much know what kind of movie you're going to get, and for the most part, there are enough laughs to warrant at least a matinee viewing along with a crowd (because comedies are funner to me with a crowd that's not afraid to laugh).

I give it a 2.75 stars, or a B-.
Old 05-28-05, 07:08 PM

Loved the original, but also thought this remake wasn't too bad. Much better than I expected. I'd call it a guilty pleasure.
Old 05-28-05, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I posted a review for this when I saw a pre-screening in the middle of April:

Previous Longest Yard Thread

Originally Posted by Dabaomb
I saw a pre-screening of this yesterday. It wasn't the completely finished product as some music was missing and there were no end credits. Actually, the print that they used for the screening was pretty ghetto. The beginning of it was so grainy that it looked like a bootleg DVD that they sell in Chinatown.

Personally, I thought that it was freakin' hilarious. It'll probably get crappy reviews just like Meet the Fockers did which I also thought was hilarious.

I never saw the original so I can't compare the two (although I will get the new SE when it does come out).

I thought that Sandler & Chris Rock worked very well together.

Courtney Cox played Sandler's GF and she looked pretty dam good...I think that she got implants cuz her boobs were HUGE!!!

A lot of big name athletes were in this movie.

Bill Goldberg (WWE/WWF star & former football player), Michael Irvin (former Dallas Cowboy), Bobb Sapp (K1 Fighter & former football player), Terry Crews (former football player and now an actor; was in White Chicks), & Nelly (rapper) were also on the con team.

On the guard team were Bill Romanowski (former Raider & Bronco), Brian Bosworth (the Boz...former football player & steroid user), Stone Cold Steve Austin, (WWE/WWF star), & Kevin Nash (WWE/WWF star).

Tracy Morgan played a transvestite in prison & one of the "cheerleaders" and he was pretty funny.

Of course Rob Schneider had his cameo where he says "You can dooooooo it!!!"

Lots of product placement from McDonalds and ESPN. ESPN cameos were Dan Patrick (played a cop), Chris Berman as himself, and Jim Rome (as himself).

Overall, I'll give it 3 out of 4 stars. I'll definitely pick it up on DVD and may even see it in on the big screen again.
Old 05-29-05, 08:08 PM

I liked it alot but wished they did not show
Spoiler:
the male cheerleaders so many times, I got the point after the first few times and didnt need to see them every few minutes during the game.
Old 05-29-05, 09:13 PM
Li

I thought they could have cut out some of it. Felt way too long to me and took forever to even get to the game.
Old 05-30-05, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw this movie after seeing SW:ROTS. I wasn't in the mood to sit thru another movie (this would be my third in one day, truly an overachievement for me) but I came away enjoying this movie more than I thought. The plot has some similarity to the greatness that is the original but the changes were very much appreciated. Sandler, Rock, Nelly and Irvin really impressed me with there acting, but I have got to give big up props to Kevin Nash. His scenes totally had me crackin up. He was the best of the wrestlers followed by Goldberg and SCSA.

My only gripe was Jim Rome. But his part in the movie thankfully was small. I really enjoyed this movie and would recommend seeing this movie over Star Wars Ep. III.
Old 05-31-05, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used to be a huge Adam Sandler fan. This was back when he was actually funny in movies like madison and gilmore. big daddy and the wedding singer are quality as well. i even like little nicky. but The Longest Yard sucked ass in my opinion. it was lame, unfunny, and worthless.
*spoilers*
someone please explain to me why the warden wanted sandler to play so bad in the beginning, but at the end he blackmailed him to lose? and someone please explain why the one guard who considered himself the warden, and continually clubbed sandler all movie, suddenly had a change of heart after the big game and decided to stick up for sandler against the warden. i mean this guy was such an asshole there was no way i could even begin to imagine his character having a change of heart like that.
*end spoilers*
Sandler, the time has come for you to make a good movie again. Perhaps a sequel to gilmore to please your fans. Overall rating: 1 star out of 4

Last edited by hapgilmore; 06-05-05 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-31-05, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hapgilmore
I used to be a huge Adam Sandler fan. This was back when he was actually funny in movies like madison and gilmore. big daddy and the wedding singer are quality as well. i even like little nicky. but The Longest Yard sucked ass in my opinion. it was lame, unfunny, and worthless. someone please explain to me why the warden wanted sandler to play so bad in the beginning, but at the end he blackmailed him to lose? and someone please explain why the one guard who considered himself the warden, and continually clubbed sandler all movie, suddenly had a change of heart after the big game and decided to stick up for sandler against the warden. i mean this guy was such an asshole there was no way i could even begin to imagine his character having a change of heart like that. Sandler, the time has come for you to make a good movie again. Perhaps a sequel to gilmore to please your fans. Overall rating: 1 star out of 4
Tell me more. You probably missed at least a few important plot points.
Old 05-31-05, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Have any of the reviews mentioned the blatant product placement for McDonalds? I usually don't mind product placement when it seems to fit normally into the story...but THE LONGEST YARD features the worst product placement since Bill Cosby drank that Coke in "Leonard Part 6".

As for the overall film, it's rental material...you'll probably enjoy watching it, but you won't be running out to see it again.
Old 05-31-05, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Have any of the reviews mentioned the blatant product placement for McDonalds? I usually don't mind product placement when it seems to fit normally into the story...but THE LONGEST YARD features the worst product placement since Bill Cosby drank that Coke in "Leonard Part 6".

As for the overall film, it's rental material...you'll probably enjoy watching it, but you won't be running out to see it again.
When people start pulling cheeseburgers out of their pants, I wasn't really craving McD's at that time

Have to agree it's rental territory. There were some good lines in it but overall just average IMHO.
Old 05-31-05, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I find that if Longest Yard and Ep. III are released on the same day and I can afford only one, I'm buying Longest Yard. It's that much better and a goodmovie overall.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.