Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Left for dead? (Spoilers abound)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-05, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Chicago, only a stone's throw from Chicago (even if you throw like a girl)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the end of Sith, does Obiwan think that Anakin is going to die and, thusly, leaves him there? There must have been an 'oh shit' moment when they realize that Anakin didn't die after all and is now the Emperor's right hand. Just a little more work on Obiwan's part to finish him off might have really changed things.
Old 05-25-05, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got the impression he was left for dead. I would think the proper thing would have been for Obi to end his suffering after he caught on fire, but I guess that's not the jedi way. To be honest, I really expected Palpatine to use some dark force mojo to keep him alive, but he didn't appear to do so.
Old 05-25-05, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
Obi Wan didn't want to kill Anakin, so I guess it was easier on his conscience if he just left him to die *shrug* I wish the Emperor did have some hand in keeping Anakin alive through use of the force as wmansir mentioned... a good plot opportunity wasted there I think.
Old 05-25-05, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think there would be more stupid threads about how palp would have kept him alive through the power of the darkside.

I think the left for dead makes it more impacting. Goes to show that Obi does consider Anakin dead and that Vader killed him.
Old 05-25-05, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
I think there would be more stupid threads about how palp would have kept him alive through the power of the darkside.

I think the left for dead makes it more impacting. Goes to show that Obi does consider Anakin dead and that Vader killed him.

I think that, as well as the fact that he didn't want to kill him.
Old 05-25-05, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by bothanspy
There must have been an 'oh shit' moment when they realize that Anakin didn't die after all and is now the Emperor's right hand.
Having trained Anakin for 10+ years Obi must be pretty attuned to him through the force. I think he could sense that Ani didn't die. Same with Yoda.
Old 05-25-05, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Having trained Anakin for 10+ years Obi must be pretty attuned to him through the force. I think he could sense that Ani didn't die. Same with Yoda.
There's a running theme through all the movies that the force is not all powerful. Think about it --- they couldn't tell that Palpatine was Darth Sidious, they couldn't tell Anakin was getting closer to the Dark Side...

Silly Jedis.
Old 05-25-05, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
Well, you know, my wife and I were chatting about this last night after the third viewing of ROTS and the concept was "Anakin really was the chosen one". After all, it was he who, at the critical moment, chose to hurl the Emperor over the railing at the end of ROTJ, redeeming himself, surrendering to the Force, destroying the empire, and leaving the field level for his son to rebuild the Jedi, etc.
Old 05-25-05, 08:09 AM

Yeah I got the impression he just left him to burn to death, kinda odd he would let him suffer like that instead of taking two seconds with his lightsaber to finish the job but whatever.
Old 05-25-05, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
i figured he didnt really want to kill him
and maybe inside, actually hoped he would survive
Old 05-25-05, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike
Well, you know, my wife and I were chatting about this last night after the third viewing of ROTS and the concept was "Anakin really was the chosen one". After all, it was he who, at the critical moment, chose to hurl the Emperor over the railing at the end of ROTJ, redeeming himself, surrendering to the Force, destroying the empire, and leaving the field level for his son to rebuild the Jedi, etc.
This is completely true. Anakin still fulfilled the prophecy. Funny thing about prophecies, they don't always work out exactly as you plan.

Same is true with Anakin's dream of Padme dying. As it turns out, she is only dying because Anakin turned on her and turned to the darkside. Anakin embraces the darkside to try and save her. Yet if he had simply let Palpatine die by Windu, Padme would not have been dying in labor. She was medically fine.
Old 05-25-05, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk God

btw.. when they said she didnt have anything medically wrong with her.. and just acted like she didnt have anything to live for

i guess the twins werent enough to restore the will to live?
Old 05-25-05, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by twikoff
btw.. when they said she didnt have anything medically wrong with her.. and just acted like she didnt have anything to live for

Funny. I was thinking of that.
Old 05-25-05, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My wife said the same thing during the film. She leaned over and said "A man wrote this."
Old 05-25-05, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yeah, I know I hate that moment. That entire scene just kinda pisses me off. Lucas really dropped the ball with having her die at that moment and for that reason.
Old 05-25-05, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I assumed the reason he didn't finish off Anakin was because it wasn't the Jedi way to kill an unarmed man. Anakin hesitated before killing Dooku saying that the Jedi do not kill unarmed men. Also when Windu was about to kill Palpatine, Anakin was trying to tell him that he should arrest Palpatine because killing him is not the Jedi way.
Old 05-25-05, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by Goat3001
I assumed the reason he didn't finish off Anakin was because it wasn't the Jedi way to kill an unarmed man.
Exactly.

This is mentioned in the book.
Old 05-25-05, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah, but these were devil children conceived from the devil's seed. I wouldn't want to live either if faced with that.
Old 05-25-05, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Ketamine
Yeah, but these were devil children conceived from the devil's seed. I wouldn't want to live either if faced with that.

good thing my wife doesnt share your views
Old 05-25-05, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Goat3001
I assumed the reason he didn't finish off Anakin was because it wasn't the Jedi way to kill an unarmed man.
Well he was unarmed....and unlegged.
Old 05-25-05, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I might be giving Lucas too much credit, but there may be another reason why she died. You remember the scene where there is no dialogue, just Anakin and Padme separated and looking at the sky? It appeared in that scene there was a link between them, and that she could feel what he was feeling.

The scene where Anakin is fitted with Vader's suit wasn't exactly edited like this to convey the same message, but I suppose it's possible that his suffering on the operating table led to her dying.
Old 05-25-05, 11:46 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by bboisvert
My wife said the same thing during the film. She leaned over and said "A man wrote this."
But Lucas is a single dad. That makes him a woman by proxy.
Old 05-25-05, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Or maybe the twins could feel Dad's pain and were transmitting uncontrolled force from her womb killing her from inside. Think about it.
Old 05-25-05, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rennervision
I might be giving Lucas too much credit, but there may be another reason why she died. You remember the scene where there is no dialogue, just Anakin and Padme separated and looking at the sky? It appeared in that scene there was a link between them, and that she could feel what he was feeling.

The scene where Anakin is fitted with Vader's suit wasn't exactly edited like this to convey the same message, but I suppose it's possible that his suffering on the operating table led to her dying.
Interesting theory, although Padme's "Obi-Wan, is Anakin all right?" line as they're leaving Mustufar would seem to negate any possibility of a psychic/force connection between the two. He was currently being charred alive and she seemed clueless.
Old 05-25-05, 12:28 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Amel
yeah, I know I hate that moment. That entire scene just kinda pisses me off. Lucas really dropped the ball with having her die at that moment and for that reason.
I agree, that was one of the worst scene's in the whole trilogy. It should have been one of the best. What the fuck was George on that day.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.