The 1 & Only Phantom E3 2005 Discussion Thread

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 05-24-05, 06:40 PM

Received 797 Likes on 520 Posts

Remember this thing? Is it even at E3?

http://www.phantom.net/

As far as E3 and our forum is considered, this is the appropriate and official smilie of the Phantom Gaming Console:

Last edited by Goldberg74; 05-24-05 at 06:44 PM. Reason: By the way... this thread is a joke. - GB74
Old 05-24-05, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think they're waiting for an E3 when Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft won't be attending. Were they even at E3? They have an E3 page. but their booth looks empty?

Their stock is at $0.11, I think it has to be over $1 to remain on the market right?
Old 05-24-05, 06:52 PM

That's there booth from last year, they were not present at E3 this year. According to recent news, the phantom failed to get recent funding and has been canceled, big surprise...
Old 05-24-05, 07:08 PM
Banned

Bachus restates confidence in on-demand gaming, but $11.5 million investment is needed

Infinium Labs president Kevin Bachus has reiterated that the Phantom game service will launch later this year, after the system's non-appearance at E3 prompted further speculation that the product may never make it onto the market.

The Phantom is designed to let consumers purchase and download console games in the comfort of their own homes. Along with an initial layout for the hardware, a subscription fee of $19.95 per month is payable for a minimum of two years.

Infinium Labs unveiled the product at E3 2004 and it was nominated for best hardware of the show award. However, since then, several launch dates have been missed and now the company itself seems to be unsure as to the future of the Phantom.

On April 20, the company filed a report with the Securities and Exchange Commission stating that another $11.5 million is required before a launch can go ahead.

The report stated: "There is a high likelihood that sufficient capital will not be available... And the launch date will again shift and/or the company will go out of business."

But in an interview with US website tradersnation.com last week, Infinium president Kevin Bachus stated that the Phantom will indeed launch in the US "later this year."

He went on to say the company was confident of the machine's money-spinning potential, identifying "three streams of revenue" - the hardware, the content and the subscription fee.

"Between those three revenue streams, we feel very confident that we're going to be able to not only deliver value to the consumer but to our shareholders as well," Bachus said.

Infinium also says that product development and testing is "near complete", and has confirmed that more than 20 publishers - including Atari, Vivendi and Eidos - have already signed up to supply content.

Infinium was unavailable for further comment at the time of writing.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=9139
Old 05-24-05, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah - it wasn't there this year... but I did see alot of "I believe" t-shirts from last year. I got a chuckle out of it.
Old 06-10-05, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

THE PHANTOM LIVES SUXXORS!!!! It'll be more powerful that the love child of the XBOX 360 and PS3 so it'll be like a XBOPS 1080. Sony-Baloney and Micro$oft both going the way of Nintenblo and Sucky-Sega. If you don't believe that then you are teh BIAS morans!
Old 06-10-05, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Franchise
THE PHANTOM LIVES SUXXORS!!!! It'll be more powerful that the love child of the XBOX 360 and PS3 so it'll be like a XBOPS 1080. Sony-Baloney and Micro$oft both going the way of Nintenblo and Sucky-Sega. If you don't believe that then you are teh BIAS morans!
Apparently that guy quoted in the interview doesn't understand the history of video games very well. I won't bother repeating it here, but I added a comment to the bottom of that page with the interview.
Old 06-10-05, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Here's a couple of pictures and video:

This is the shot I liked:

I wonder if this is the removable upgradeable "Z"-Drive:

You can download some game footage here.
Old 06-10-05, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 06-10-05, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They're a joke, but I really wanna buy one of those keyboard/mouse things they have. It was a cool design.
Old 06-10-05, 05:49 PM

here's some news. Kevin Bacchus, himself, actually appeared on Attack on the Show (figures) this week to talk about the Phantom.

Bascially, all he did was show icons on a desktop of thief and ninja turtles, he didn't play any games or even open any of them up, or give any pricing (maybe because none of it even works). It was a 10 minute conversation about nothing.
Old 12-01-05, 06:05 PM
Banned

New CEO: http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/051130/ukw008.html?.v=39

Yeah, that must have been the problem...
Old 12-01-05, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's already a service that does exactly what this one was promising, but you don't have to get their hardware and the monthly is cheaper.
Old 12-01-05, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The phanton is the hardware equivalent of Duke Nukem Forever!
Old 12-02-05, 07:18 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Haha, Bachus slips away again. I wonder how much money he's made on all of his "failures".
Old 12-02-05, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Flay
Haha, Bachus slips away again. I wonder how much money he's made on all of his "failures".
He reminds me of Trip Hawkins.