Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Stormtrooper / Clonetrooper Conversion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-05, 11:12 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Episode 2&3 Clonetroopers - Cloned from Jango Fett, some who are (according to video games) Commandos and seem to be able to handle themselves quite well in a fight

Episode 4,5,6 Stormtroopers - Unable to hit the broadside of a barn and move with the agility of a sloth

When and How did the clonetroopers migrate into the stormtroopers ??

The only thing I can assume is that in the time period between Ep 3 & 4 there were new clones made and they were from lesser beings than Jango ???

Anyone able to explain a bit ???
Old 05-24-05, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think they had a number of different people that they cloned off of. Other wise why would most of the stormtroopers in the OT have the same voice? Lucas didn't go back and dub Jango's voice in like he did with Boba Fett. So they can't be clones of Jango. Another reason why they might not be as good as the clone troopers is because if the stormtroopers were good shots all the main characters would die in A New Hope.
Old 05-24-05, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The stormtroopers are derived from Jango.

In Episode 2, Jango bonks his head a door similar to the famous goof by a stormtrooper in the OT. Lucas apparently put it in to show that they were of the same genetics and as a nod to the fans.

I can only assume that the stormtroopers are so bad because they had to resort to cloning clones since Jango is now dead and the resulting clones are of poorer quality.
Old 05-24-05, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm sure as time went on, they recruited more non-clones in the ranks of troopers along with the clones which would explain the different voices, height, etc. So mix of clones and non-clones now make up the storm troopers of the OT.
Old 05-24-05, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

After the Empire was formed, Imperial academies were established throughout the galaxy (Luke wanted to go to one in ANH). So the stormtroopers in the OT include lots of non-clones.

LUKE: Yes, sir. I think those new droids are going to work out fine. In fact, I, uh, was also thinking about our agreement about my staying on another season. And if these new droids do work out, I want to transmit my application to the Academy this year.

Owen's face becomes a scowl, although he tries to suppress it.
Old 05-24-05, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think that we are still to draw the conclusion that most of the stormtroopers are clones. Otherwise the final reveal of Episode 2 with the early Star Destroyers and clonetroopers doesn't have the same bite.
Old 05-24-05, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
After the Empire was formed, Imperial academies were established throughout the galaxy (Luke wanted to go to one in ANH). So the stormtroopers in the OT include lots of non-clones.
Then after that Luke says he "hates the empire" when talking to Obi-Wan about going to Allderaan. If he hates it then why does he want to join it?
Old 05-24-05, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 512 Likes on 353 Posts
Originally Posted by Mopower
Then after that Luke says he "hates the empire" when talking to Obi-Wan about going to Allderaan. If he hates it then why does he want to join it?
He will do anything to get off the farm.

It has been confirmed by GL in an interview that the Stormtroopers in the OT are a mixture of original clones, newer batches of clones, and draftees/recruits.

from http://filmforce.ign.com/starwars/ar.../613366p1.html
One bit of conjecture Lucas finally laid to rest was the question of how close the link between clone troopers and stormtroopers was. He told MTV in an interview that the Empire's stormtroopers in the original series were in fact more of the same clones that form the Republican army in Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith ? though by the time of A New Hope, stormtrooper ranks had swelled to include regular recruits as well.

"The idea is that over time, there were new clone strains introduced, and then they even conscripted guys to be Storm Troopers. So it's not just purely clones: It started out as clones, but then it got diluted over the years as they found out they could shanghai guys [more cheaply] than they could build clones."

Last edited by AGuyNamedMike; 05-24-05 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05-24-05, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You know, I grew up watching A New Hope and I never interpreted that Luke wanted to go to the Imperial Academy. He simply said "Academy." His buddy Biggs went to the same Academy, and they meet up later on as part of the Rebellion. So maybe the Rebellion had an Academy as well? What? The Rebellion didn't train pilots and soldiers??? Luke is obviously fascinated with the Rebellion even before he leaves Tatooine with Han and crew, as he asks in depth about it with C3PO. It is too inconsistent to see how enthused he is about the Rebellion and then draw the conclusion he wanted to go to an Academy to train to be a Stormtrooper.
Old 05-24-05, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I pointed this out on another thread. The Stormtroopers are clones, there are articles about this going back as far as 1978. All of the combat grunts are clones (basically everyone under a mask except The Royal Guards and Vader himself.) The Imperial Academy which Wedge (and Han if you follow the EU) is for recruitment of officers. Also the "Death Squad" which is basically the Military Police and the others wandering around Imperial Starships are also true human. The Stormtroopers of all variations are clones. "Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper"

As far as the quality of the troopers go, look at it as if you are making copies of a video tape. The 1st generation is always pretty good, but if you make a copy of a copy of a copy the quality gets worse and worse.
Old 05-24-05, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Maybe a lot of them are still the original clones,in which case they would have aged ~20 years.Which would account for the loss of agility and aim.
Old 05-24-05, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
While I agree they weren't going to the Imperial Academy, how would backwater farmboys find out where the Rebel Academy is when the Empire can't even hunt it down? Are there flyers posted around Mos Eisley with a fax number to "transmit your applications"?
Old 05-24-05, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
"Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper" can also imply a simple height requirement, like "you have to be this tall to ride this roller coaster"
Old 05-24-05, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by calhoun07
You know, I grew up watching A New Hope and I never interpreted that Luke wanted to go to the Imperial Academy. He simply said "Academy." His buddy Biggs went to the same Academy, and they meet up later on as part of the Rebellion. So maybe the Rebellion had an Academy as well? What? The Rebellion didn't train pilots and soldiers??? Luke is obviously fascinated with the Rebellion even before he leaves Tatooine with Han and crew, as he asks in depth about it with C3PO. It is too inconsistent to see how enthused he is about the Rebellion and then draw the conclusion he wanted to go to an Academy to train to be a Stormtrooper.

he was probably going to go to the academy to learn to fly

most likely it's the imperial academy since if there was a rebellion academy it would be destroyed. Chances are most people in the imperial military are just there for a paycheck and not because they are evil. Luke would be there to learn to be a pilot. Biggs probably went to the imperial academy and then joined the rebellion
Old 05-24-05, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by al_bundy
he was probably going to go to the academy to learn to fly

most likely it's the imperial academy since if there was a rebellion academy it would be destroyed. Chances are most people in the imperial military are just there for a paycheck and not because they are evil. Luke would be there to learn to be a pilot. Biggs probably went to the imperial academy and then joined the rebellion
In a deleted scene (also found in the novelization) Biggs DID go to the Imperial Academy but then went AWOL to join the Rebels.
Old 05-24-05, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by Superboy
In a deleted scene (also found in the novelization) Biggs DID go to the Imperial Academy but then went AWOL to join the Rebels.
Right. It was in the book and the marvel comics adaptation. Biggs spoke with Luke before leaving Tatooine for the academy and told him he was going to jump ship and join the rebellion.
Old 05-24-05, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

also... Leia was part of the Imperial Senate, but was secretly part of the Rebellion. So many of those in the Imperial Academy still may not have loyalty to the Empire. I'm sure many of the members of the rebel alliance were recruited from the Imperial Academy, even those who have served as officers (there was a story one that said General Maidene was an Imperial Officer)
Old 05-24-05, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cactusoly
also... Leia was part of the Imperial Senate, but was secretly part of the Rebellion. So many of those in the Imperial Academy still may not have loyalty to the Empire. I'm sure many of the members of the rebel alliance were recruited from the Imperial Academy, even those who have served as officers (there was a story one that said General Maidene was an Imperial Officer)
It's definitely that way in the Novels and Comics. I mean c'mon, where else are they going to find people to fly starships?
Old 05-24-05, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jason
Right. It was in the book and the marvel comics adaptation. Biggs spoke with Luke before leaving Tatooine for the academy and told him he was going to jump ship and join the rebellion.
That's taken from the original shooting script. Biggs and Luke have a long conversation where they talk about, among other things, how Biggs and some other recruits at the Imperial Academy had decided to defect to the Rebel Alliance the first chance they got.

Biggs looks around then leans close to Luke.

BIGGS: Luke, I didn't come back just to say good-bye...I shouldn't
tell you this, but you're the only one I can trust...and if I don't
come back, I want somebody to know.

Luke's eyes are wide with Biggs' seriousness and loyalty.

LUKE: What are you talking about?

BIGGS: I made some friends at the Academy. (he whispers)...when our
frigate goes to one of the central systems, we're going to jump ship
and join the Alliance...

Luke, amazed and stunned, is almost speechless.

Last edited by Breakfast with Girls; 05-24-05 at 09:39 PM.
Old 05-24-05, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxflier
Maybe a lot of them are still the original clones,in which case they would have aged ~20 years.Which would account for the loss of agility and aim.
I think this is probably a big part. I mean they are clones, are they just supposed to release them when they hit 40? Nah, they cost too much money. They use them until they die.
Old 05-24-05, 09:57 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
The "Jango Genetic Milkshake" went sour.
Old 05-24-05, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
That's taken from the original shooting script. Biggs and Luke have a long conversation where they talk about, among other things, how Biggs and some other recruits at the Imperial Academy had decided to defect to the Rebel Alliance the first chance they got.
that got filmed didn't it?
I'm sure I've seen that in some deleted scenes I saw somewhere (probably buried some where in my huge number of not very well cataloged cds with video clips)
Old 05-24-05, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I think this is probably a big part. I mean they are clones, are they just supposed to release them when they hit 40? Nah, they cost too much money. They use them until they die.
yeah but the clones are supposed to have excellerated aging... so If they were 40 they would physically be about 80. (I figure that most of them were shot by that point anyway)
Old 05-24-05, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mikehunt
that got filmed didn't it?
I'm sure I've seen that in some deleted scenes I saw somewhere (probably buried some where in my huge number of not very well cataloged cds with video clips)
There are some Luke/Biggs scenes on Tatooine, yeah.
Old 05-25-05, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jason
Now that makes sense. But without that scene in the movie, would I assume that the Rebel's academy would be a set location? I would figure it would be on the move like they were, so they wouldn't be vulnerable to attack.

And if Luke was going to the Academy that was part of the Empire, who is to say he was training to be a Stormtrooper. There are plenty of clothed officers in the Empire's army as well.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.