Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why was Leia's mom sad alot?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-05, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

ok.. so in ROTJ, when Luke and Leia were talking, and Leia was finding out that she is his sister...

Luke asked her what she remembered of her mother. And she said that her mother was sad alot of the time.

based on that conversation.. it had seemed like luke was talking about *their* mother, but after ROTS, thats obviously not the case.
Old 05-24-05, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Either

Leia obviously has a better memory. All she remembers about her mother is being sad

OR

She was talking about her step mother who could have died was she was little.

Probably #2.
Old 05-24-05, 10:20 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Assuming humans in Star Wars are like humans in real life:

A newborn baby's eyesight only extends a few inches. From where Leia was, she couldn't even see Padme before she died, let alone determine whether she was happy or sad. Not to mention that newborns have no long term memory.

Now, all of this could be negated by Leia's force sensitivity. Or, more likely, it could be that she was talking about Mrs. Organa.
Old 05-24-05, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk God

going into the movie.. it was this conversation between luke and leia that had be wondering what they were going to do with Padme.. because to me, it seemed that leia had spent enough time with her mom, to remember her.. and the *sad alot of the time* line, further made you believe that.

i guess it could be organa, but to me, it seems like a storyline change was worked in there and they just figured we wouldnt notice
Old 05-24-05, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by twikoff
going into the movie.. it was this conversation between luke and leia that had be wondering what they were going to do with Padme.. because to me, it seemed that leia had spent enough time with her mom, to remember her.. and the *sad alot of the time* line, further made you believe that.

i guess it could be organa, but to me, it seems like a storyline change was worked in there and they just figured we wouldnt notice
It's possible that Luke ASSUMED it would be their mother. But when he asked she didn't know they were sisters, so she talked about her "mother" as in Mrs. Organa. And she was sad because of the Empire.
Old 05-24-05, 10:51 AM

Just pretend that Leia was thinking of Bail's wife. I can imagine her being sad when around Leia. After all, having it on her mind that Leia's mother died young, and her father is out terrorizing the galaxy, sure wouldn't give ME the warm fuzzies.

-HM
Old 05-24-05, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is basically what I think, too.

What I wonder is if fans can spot the incongruencies (or at least problems that take a lot of stretching to find answers) then why didn't Lucas or someone else working on the films spot them as well? I'd think he'd want to make the transitions as smooth as possible.
Old 05-24-05, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just assumed it was to give her a little mystique (since we know the fate of her husband).
Old 05-24-05, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by uberjoe
This is basically what I think, too.

What I wonder is if fans can spot the incongruencies (or at least problems that take a lot of stretching to find answers) then why didn't Lucas or someone else working on the films spot them as well? I'd think he'd want to make the transitions as smooth as possible.
I think Lucas spotted these inconsistencies but looked at the bigger picture. At some point in time he probably wondered if he should keep Padme alive because of the conversation Leia and Luke had but in the end felt it would make the movies better if she died while giving birth. It's really not that big a stretch to think that Leia was talking about her adopted mom.
Old 05-24-05, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
From ROTJ:

Luke - Leia, do you remember your mother, your REAL mother?
Leia - Just a little bit...She died when I was very young.
Luke - What do you remember?
Leia - Just Images really...feelings
Luke - Tell Me.
Leia - She was kind, but sad.
Luke - I have no memory of my mother...I never knew her.

Let's face it boys and girls, Lucas screwed up continuity royally by not having Padme live and take care of Leia for a while while Luke was taken to his uncle and aunt.

There's no way to intrepret this conversation other than the fact that Luke was asking about Leia's REAL mother, and NOT her adoptive one.
Old 05-24-05, 12:04 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Let's face it boys and girls, Lucas screwed up continuity royally by not having Padme live and take care of Leia for a while while Luke was taken to his uncle and aunt.
Better watch out with statements like that, or you'll have the fanboys calling for your death by 18-wheeler.
Old 05-24-05, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk God

From ROTJ:

Luke - Tell Me.

There's no way to intrepret this conversation other than the fact that Luke was asking about Leia's REAL mother, and NOT her adoptive one.
yep, thats the way I remembered it, when i thought about it

so Im not going crazy.. All the way through ROTS, i was wondering how they were going go allow padme to live and raise leia.. But I just couldnt see any way that was going to work (and definitly not raising as royalty).. I guess lucas agreed
Old 05-24-05, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Better watch out with statements like that, or you'll have the fanboys calling for your death by 18-wheeler.

Yeah...I would have liked to see him defend that one.

It just gets more and more obvious that Lucas has been just flying by the seat of his pants writing all the movies since Return of the Jedi. Why won't Lucas just admit that?

By the way...enjoy that piece of dialogue that was quoted. It will be changed & looped over once the new & improved editions of the OT come out. But then again, once it is changed, that will be the way that Lucas always intended to write it.

Last edited by Spiderbite; 05-24-05 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-24-05, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Maybe it a miscommunication between Luke and Leia. From Leia’s point of view Mrs. Organa IS her real mother
Old 05-24-05, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk God

maybe this will be addressed some in the live action television series that is suppose to take place between ep3 and ep4
sure, they say it wont deal with the main characters much
but if you go 100 episodes or more.. you gotta work those kids in there every once and awhile.
Old 05-24-05, 02:00 PM
Suspended

lack of sex?
Old 05-24-05, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho

Old 05-24-05, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I chalk it up to the whole force thing. I mean, Luke is able to feel people's feelings and see's them. Who's to say that Leia, upon being older, didn't get any sort of images of her mother in the past. Didn't yoda say that those visions are sometimes of events that happened and events that would happen. Well it does sync up to the events that happened. Leia is just seeing/sensing the past.
Old 05-24-05, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk God

but really.. padme wasnt all that unhappy, until those final days when anakin went crazy and switched sides.

Last edited by twikoff; 05-24-05 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-24-05, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk God

maybe this will be addressed some in the live action television series that is suppose to take place between ep3 and ep4
sure, they say it wont deal with the main characters much
but if you go 100 episodes or more.. you gotta work those kids in there every once and awhile.
of course.. this cant happen.. since lucas has made it clear that the live action spin off will not really relate to the story as we know it
Old 05-24-05, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
I chalk it up to the whole force thing. I mean, Luke is able to feel people's feelings and see's them. Who's to say that Leia, upon being older, didn't get any sort of images of her mother in the past. Didn't yoda say that those visions are sometimes of events that happened and events that would happen. Well it does sync up to the events that happened. Leia is just seeing/sensing the past.
Be careful Jack...you might fall over if you keep reaching so far.

Why can't a flub be called a flub?
Old 05-24-05, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

of course.. this cant happen.. since lucas has made it clear that the live action spin off will not really relate to the story as we know it
I'd find it hard to believe that we won't be seeing Boba Fett and Darth Vader.
Old 05-24-05, 03:17 PM

From ROTJ:

Luke - Tell Me.

This really isn't even hard to explain. Leia has force ability as well. Her memories are nothing more than her senses as an infant in the womb. Babies are connected to the mother and as a child of force ability she could sense her sadness. That's why she has only images and feelings, but no real memories.
Old 05-24-05, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by kcbrett5
This really isn't even hard to explain. Leia has force ability as well. Her memories are nothing more than her senses as an infant in the womb. Babies are connected to the mother and as a child of force ability she could sense her sadness. That's why she has only images and feelings, but no real memories.
but as I mentioned above... she wasnt really sad much, until the last day or two of her life
Old 05-24-05, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by kcbrett5

Wow. 23 posts before this is finally posted. It is exactly what I was going to bring up. I agree and believe this 100%. No continuity error at all.

This IS a Star Wars forum though, I guess the majority here don't have kids.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.