Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Without A Trace (5/19/05):"Endgame" Season Finale

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 05-23-05, 12:48 PM

Received 772 Likes on 504 Posts

Since my TiVo screwed up and there was a NBA Finals Game last Thursday, I had to watch this episode by "other means" and I just got done watching this one and the horrible "John Micheal" episode.

For a Season Finale though, I thought it was a great episode until the last few minutes (highlight to read):

When Jack called them from the hospital to tell them Vivian was okay and Danny and Martin are transfering the African Guy and get stopped at the red light, you just had to know something was wrong. And then when Dorkwad (Dornvald) jumped out of the back with his posse and the guns were blazing the word "cliffhanger" rang out like a cracked bell.

Then my wife, bless her heart, made me laugh.

"At least Jack is already at the hospital."

While Season 3 wasn't nearly as strong as the first two, I have still enjoyed every episode (except the aforementioned and much-panned "Jon Michael" ep) and like a little character development, but not too much.

I'll be anxious for Season 4 come Fall.
Old 05-23-05, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts
It earned a meh from me, which sums up my reaction to most of the season. I've already noted my disdain for substantial character development in procedural dramas like Trace.

I will likely drop this show to open up viewing time for new Fall shows.
Old 05-23-05, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Isn't one the first things you learn in FBI school when you're stopped at a
red light and dark van with no windows pulls up in front of you.. you should
be VERY suspicious? Especially when you're transporting a known terrorist?
If not.. then it should be.

Maybe Jack is having another dream?
Old 05-31-05, 08:03 AM

Season Finale

I think this is one of the best shows on TV> I was very upset by the end. I hope they don't kill off two members of the team. Maybe Martin will get hurt and this will lead to him and Sam getting back together. Diane
Old 05-31-05, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Red Dog
It earned a meh from me, which sums up my reaction to most of the season. I've already noted my disdain for substantial character development in procedural dramas like Trace.

I will likely drop this show to open up viewing time for new Fall shows.
I totally agree. This was easily one of my favorite shows over the first two seasons, but this one was sub-par at best for most of the season. I don't have any plans to watch it next season.

What happened in the finale? Was that the one with Anna Belnap?
Old 05-31-05, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
Isn't one the first things you learn in FBI school when you're stopped at a
red light and dark van with no windows pulls up in front of you.. you should
be VERY suspicious? Especially when you're transporting a known terrorist?
If not.. then it should be.

Maybe Jack is having another dream?
Perhaps they have bullet proof glass like on "24?"
Pretty good finale. Boy was that girl just plain weird.

So, people would rather just have a bunch of drones standing around talking instead of Character development?
Sheeeeeesh!
Old 05-31-05, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by riley_dude
So, people would rather just have a bunch of drones standing around talking instead of Character development?
Sheeeeeesh!

That's not what I said.

Procedural criminal dramas like Law & Order, CSI, and Trace are at their best when the story of the crime and investigation is the main emphasis by far. A little character development is fine, but when the characters start to overshadow the crime and investigation, the show suffers tremendously IMO. Trace really went overboard with it in S3: bombarding us with Jack's emotional problems, Vivian's health problems, and a workplace romance. Maybe if Trace started out this way with more character-driven stories (like NYPD Blue straddles the line), it wouldn't be a problem.

Contrast that with a show like The Shield where the characters drive the show and are the main emphasis. Character development is crucial in shows such as this; it is expected.

Last edited by Red Dog; 05-31-05 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-01-05, 08:20 AM

I think the show is great. I like the fact that they are bringing in the personal lives of the team. It gives the viewer an understanding why the team acts the way they do. I think it is written brilliantly not to much personal stuff just enough. I hope they don't kill off the two guys. d
Old 06-02-05, 09:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey all,

Another cliffhanger ending eh? (NCIS, Lost, etc etc).

My guess, they duck and hit the accelerator - crunch against back of van - back to work...

Ciao,
Smithsguy
Old 07-31-05, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
From the Futon Critic website:

WITHOUT A TRACE (CBS) - Roselyn Sanchez ("Kojak") has booked a recurring role on the veteran procedural drama.
Spoiler:
She'll play a former cop who joins the show's F.B.I. missing-persons squad after Anthony LaPaglia's character decides his crisis-plagued team needs help
, a role which could be upped to series regular. Her first appearance is set for the show's third installment this season.
Old 08-01-05, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Roselyn Sanchez? I guess that means she won't be on any future seasons of Kojak.

Hmmm - I might have to rethink what I said before.
Old 09-20-05, 06:42 AM

New Season

I can't believe they are making us wait so long for the new season to begin. I just love this show. It is by far my favorite. I think the involvment of the lives of the characters adds to the show. They are all believable...except Jack allowing his wife to have custody. Great acting..great writing. Diane