Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Yoda

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-05, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Yoda

I cant for the life me understand one thing about Yoda. In the OT, he talked normal but sparingly spoke backwards(at least he spoke normal more than backwards). In the prequels every other sentence out of his mouth is out of whack. Why? Does Lucas think it is cute? because it really isnt.
Old 05-23-05, 08:52 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh yeah, well you're not has cute as you think!

The PT is a time of more elegant speech and by the time we meet up with him in ESB, he's sort of become a crazed hermit.
Old 05-23-05, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I love Yoda. He kicks some major ass in the prequels, but if as you suggest he became a sort of crazed hermit(which I guess makes sense living on Degobah by yourself for all those years) later on, wouldnt he have talked backwards more in the OT?
Old 05-23-05, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
he goes crazy.... He failed the jedi, lived in a great place, and now has to resort to living in a swamp..... it would make me go crazy
Old 05-23-05, 09:02 AM

Hey, cut him some slack. For his species dementia apparently starts kicking in when you're about 880 years old.

They should have had a planet full of Yodas, like they did with the Wookies.
Old 05-23-05, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wasnt there another of Yoda?s race shown in one of the prequels? Perhaps in one of the senate scenes? Im sorry but I just realized the other day that the way he constantly talks backwards in the PT is stupid and annoying and takes away from the charm of the character. I would have rather seen a mix of normal speak with the occasional backwards talk thrown in.
Old 05-23-05, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
I wouldn't say Yoda was crazy when Luke met up with him in ESB. It wasn't like Luke found him sitting on a log singing "Rainbow Connection".
Old 05-23-05, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Deadman31
Wasnt there another of Yoda?s race shown in one of the prequels? Perhaps in one of the senate scenes? Im sorry but I just realized the other day that the way he constantly talks backwards in the PT is stupid and annoying and takes away from the charm of the character. I would have rather seen a mix of normal speak with the occasional backwards talk thrown in.
Yes, her name was Yaddle. I'm a nerd.
Old 05-23-05, 09:32 AM
Banned

but what if? WHAT IF?
Old 05-23-05, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I cant for the life me understand one thing about Yoda. In the OT, he talked normal but sparingly spoke backwards(at least he spoke normal more than backwards). In the prequels every other sentence out of his mouth is out of whack. Why? Does Lucas think it is cute? because it really isnt.
I agree with you. Yoda's way of speaking is way overdone to the point that it gets annoying in the prequels. In the OT, his backward way was much less pervasive. I love the prequels, but this is just one example of Lucas' bad writing.

And by the way, Yoda was *not* crazy in the OT. He acted a certain way in the beginning so that Luke would think he was crazy and not recognize him as Yoda.
Old 05-23-05, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson
I wouldn't say Yoda was crazy when Luke met up with him in ESB. It wasn't like Luke found him sitting on a log singing "Rainbow Connection".

sounds like a guy i played with in counter strike the other day
Old 05-23-05, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What about Yaddle?

Forget the light saber scenes, I wanted to see Yoda get down to some mad lovin with her!

Last edited by calhoun07; 05-23-05 at 06:23 PM.
Old 05-24-05, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It was Frank Oz's idea to have Yoda talk like that, not Lucas.
Old 05-24-05, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Where was Yaddle seen in the prequels?
Old 05-24-05, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Superboy

I have no problem with whether it was Lucas' idea or whomever. It just really gets on my nerves because of the inconsistency from one trilogy to the next.
Old 05-24-05, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 512 Likes on 353 Posts
According to Frank Oz in interviews, his reasoning for the character Yoda's speech pattern was that he was a very reserved and serious being and opted for an older more formal mode of talking. Sort of like the SW equivalent of thee and thou, you know? A way to explain the shift from all formal in the PT to only some formal in the OT is that after many years alone and away from the temple/company of Jedi council members probably eroded his habits quite a bit. His bearing and demeanor certainly changed. Being a refugee will do that, I guess.

Last edited by AGuyNamedMike; 05-24-05 at 07:39 AM.
Old 05-24-05, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Where was Yaddle seen in the prequels?
Jedi Council in AOTC. Not sure if she was in TPM.
Old 05-24-05, 09:29 AM

I'm almost positive she made an appearance in TPM, on the Jedi council when they discuss if Anakin will be trained. I believe she's supposed to be only 400 years old, but also walks with a cane. Further support of my Yoda-is-a-frog theory!
Old 05-26-05, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by calhoun07
What about Yaddle?

Forget the light saber scenes, I wanted to see Yoda get down to some mad lovin with her!
This is the SCARIEST DAMN thing I have ever seen. It looks like Yoda after a coke binge and some Rogaine.
Old 05-26-05, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In the OT, he talked normal but sparingly spoke backwards
He talked backwards a lot more than you're claiming he did.

I thought Yoda's dialogue was great in ROTS. Only two lines were way off. The one where he says "not if anything I have to say about it" and "a prophecy that misread, could have been." Lucas should have thought about those two lines and changed them for the better. Everything else was great.
Old 05-26-05, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cmatherne
This is the SCARIEST DAMN thing I have ever seen. It looks like Yoda after a coke binge and some Rogaine.

Looks a little like Lindsay Lohan.
Old 05-26-05, 09:38 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Superboy
yeah, but (and as I noted in the other thread related to Yoda) Yoda in Empire sounds way too similiar to Fozzie the Bear.
Old 05-26-05, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
yeah, but (and as I noted in the other thread related to Yoda) Yoda in Empire sounds way too similiar to Fozzie the Bear.

I thought he sounded more like Grover than Fozzie.
Old 05-26-05, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Terrell
He talked backwards a lot more than you're claiming he did.

I thought Yoda's dialogue was great in ROTS. Only two lines were way off. The one where he says "not if anything I have to say about it" and "a prophecy that misread, could have been." Lucas should have thought about those two lines and changed them for the better. Everything else was great.
Those are the exact 2 lines I was gonna point out. Those are horrible. Besides those 2, everything else he says I'm fine with.

And I think the reason some might think it's more backwards in the new 3 is because he has a lot more screen time so it becomes more apparent. When I was a kid (before these new 3) everyone tried to talk like Yoda. It was always apparent the little dude talked wierd.
Old 05-27-05, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by calhoun07
What about Yaddle?