Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Star Wars in the distant past or distant future?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-05, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard people tell me both

My thought is that it is in the distant past and in George Lucas' original plan of 9 movies he would explain how the Star Wars civilization fell apart and we ended up where we are now
Old 05-22-05, 09:22 PM

"A long time ago in galaxy far, far away" pretty much sums that up.
Old 05-22-05, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Long ago in a galaxy far, far away.

Where is the controversy in that? Anybody else saying other wise is itchin' for a fight!
Old 05-22-05, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yeah that does pretty much sum it up

The fact that I never saw any Star Wars movies would explain why I had the line "In a galaxy far far away" in my mind, and not the Long ago part
Old 05-22-05, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

wait a sec. you never saw any of the films? Then why are you... I mean... How come youre... umm... the mind boggles.

D
Old 05-22-05, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

never seen it...but....but....

i would like to be the first to welcome you to this planet...try the cheese steak its great
Old 05-22-05, 11:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Interesting you would ask that question.

There's a good reason why I said the above: Lucas seriously considered placing the Star Wars universe based on Earth at 3000 AD, and in fact one of the proposed poster designs for the movie said so.

But in the end, it was preferable to use the byline Long ago in a galaxy far, far away better.
Old 05-23-05, 05:37 AM
Banned

So, if SW is in the distant past then when Chewbacca does his Tarzan yell, twice, no less, I guess that means the Tarzan folks got it from him.
Old 05-23-05, 06:21 AM
Banned

"A LONG time ago, in a galaxy far, far away..."
Old 05-23-05, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I have to disagree a bit on the previous comments.

Quite a number of years ago, there was a Star Wars comic that ran daily in the newspapers. It involved C3PO and R2D2 telling the entire tale of their history to a massive computer. Since they are some of the few characters to "be there" for the entire story, they have the entire story to tell. Also, I think it's safe to say droids lead long lives. Maybe a few centuries is possible? So the story we're familiar with could occur in the far distance future, but to the droids as they tell their story, it happened "a long time ago".

Yeah, it's not canon. But, it's another way to look at it.
Old 05-23-05, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Chew
... It involved C3PO and R2D2 telling the entire tale of their history to a massive computer. Since they are some of the few characters to "be there" for the entire story, they have the entire story to tell. ...
Except they can't tell the whole story if they don't remember it. Near the end of ROTS they mention wiping out C3PO's memory, a suggestion he doesn't care for. But it helps explain why he can't later just tell Luke all about what happened in the past.
Old 05-23-05, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 251 Likes on 186 Posts
Ok so it takes place in the past. Does it take place close to Earth or is it kinda far away?
Old 05-23-05, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hondo21
Except they can't tell the whole story if they don't remember it. Near the end of ROTS they mention wiping out C3PO's memory, a suggestion he doesn't care for. But it helps explain why he can't later just tell Luke all about what happened in the past.
As I said "quite a number of years ago". The comic strip was at least 20-25 years ago and well before anybody even thought of making the prequels, let alone the details of C3PO not having memory of them.
Old 05-23-05, 12:51 PM

I don't understand how this topic is even a topic. The OP's question is answered in the first 5 seconds of every star wars film in huge letters that span the entire screen.

D
Old 05-23-05, 01:12 PM

Received 174 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
Well, I have to disagree a bit on the previous comments.

Quite a number of years ago, there was a Star Wars comic that ran daily in the newspapers. It involved C3PO and R2D2 telling the entire tale of their history to a massive computer. Since they are some of the few characters to "be there" for the entire story, they have the entire story to tell. Also, I think it's safe to say droids lead long lives. Maybe a few centuries is possible? So the story we're familiar with could occur in the far distance future, but to the droids as they tell their story, it happened "a long time ago".

Yeah, it's not canon. But, it's another way to look at it.

Yep. While I take it to be "long ago" from our perspective, it does not have to be. It very well could be long ago from the perspective of the storyteller, whomever that may be.
Old 05-23-05, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Pharoh
Yep. While I take it to be "long ago" from our perspective, it does not have to be. It very well could be long ago from the perspective of the storyteller, whomever that may be.
Excellent point.

I love Star Wars and I am on my way to see it again right now. First time in years that I only worked a half day so I thought what the heck. Now, everyone don't freak out but the question on when is kinda dumb considering that Star Wars never really happened. I mean its make-believe, pretend, or fiction if you like!

If I had to consider when the story was to take place I would agree with Pharoh. And to back up his point and trying not to get "religious", there is a Bible verse which states that to God a day is to a thousand years and a thousand years is as a day. The exact verse escapes me and my study Bible is in my wife's car so I cant look up right now.

Anyway just thought I would share that, feel free to call me names and disagree as some might!
Old 05-23-05, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

*shits on topic*
Old 05-23-05, 02:29 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just watch the beginning of the film, says it all.
Old 05-23-05, 02:34 PM

It's a movie people!!!

Fiction!!!

hehehehehe, I had to say it.
Old 05-23-05, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JohnDoeUSA
Now, everyone don't freak out but the question on when is kinda dumb considering that Star Wars never really happened. I mean its make-believe, pretend, or fiction if you like!
Really? I was under the impression that it is a historical re-enactment of actual events.
Old 05-23-05, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDoeUSA

If I had to consider when the story was to take place I would agree with Pharoh. And to back up his point and trying not to get "religious", there is a Bible verse which states that to God a day is to a thousand years and a thousand years is as a day. The exact verse escapes me and my study Bible is in my wife's car so I cant look up right now.
Yes, I use that verse to defend creationism against my ill-minded darwinistic enemies!
Old 05-23-05, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's freakin' science fiction.
Old 05-23-05, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
When we finally master warp speed, and can actually travel to that "far, far away" galaxy, we can ask them exactly how long ago this all took place.

Until then, it's all just idle speculation.
Old 05-24-05, 02:24 AM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts
This thread is worth my time. snark, Snark, SNARK!
Old 05-24-05, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Yes, I use that verse to defend creationism against my ill-minded darwinistic enemies!
Using a verse from the bible to defend the bible...now THAT makes the mind boggle. I'd call that a plothole of Lucasorian heights!

"But how the hell does THAT make any sense?"
"Shut up, it's in the script, so it must be right!"

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.