Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Need some advice on what to buy next...

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-05, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so we (me and the old lady) enjoy watching TV on DVD...

After reading all the sets people are collecting a few threads down, I have realized there must be a lot of good shows out there to watch that we haven't seen or heard of...

What we have:

All the Sex and the Cities...
All Seinfelds up to date...
All That 70's shows up to date...

What I am interested in:

Sopranos (never seen an episode)
24 (also never seen an episode)
Family Guy (buying tommorow)

Can anyone recommend any good shows to watch or collect?? Prefferably something funny like sex and the city that my g/f will like..

Also, what is Six Feet Under or "The OZ"???

I'm not too familiar with tv shows... i watch a lot of movies

Thanks guys,

ben
Old 05-22-05, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm only going to say this once, & after that if you don't listen there is no hope for you.

BUY THIS DVD NOW!!!! You will thank me for it later. I don't want a lot of TV, especially comedies. But this is the funniest show since Seinfeld, & it has a lot of heart as well, especially the first season, so your girlfriend will love it.

Ignore the bad cover art. Phenomenal DVD w/ plenty of extras.
Old 05-22-05, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just get a tivo instead (assuming you already have cable or satellite).

Stew
Old 05-22-05, 09:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by benfiltness
Ok, so we (me and the old lady) enjoy watching TV on DVD...

After reading all the sets people are collecting a few threads down, I have realized there must be a lot of good shows out there to watch that we haven't seen or heard of...

What we have:

All the Sex and the Cities...
All Seinfelds up to date...
All That 70's shows up to date...

What I am interested in:

Sopranos (never seen an episode)
24 (also never seen an episode)
Family Guy (buying tommorow)

Can anyone recommend any good shows to watch or collect?? Prefferably something funny like sex and the city that my g/f will like..

Also, what is Six Feet Under or "The OZ"???

I'm not too familiar with tv shows... i watch a lot of movies

Thanks guys,

ben
Well, it looks like you're mostly into comedies, right?

Do you have your collection in an on-line catalog like DVDAficionado or something? If so, provide a link, like the one in my sig.

Also, what is your age group? 13-19? 20-25, 26-30, 31-40?

I'm guessing under 25. I mean based on your interest in mostly comedies, it just fits a pattern that I have seen. I could be wrong though. Wouldn't be the first time.

Anyway...if you can tolerate intense cliff-hanger driven action/thriller adventure, then 24 is a great show to get into. I've recently gotten into it (thanks to a Amazon sale on FOX series first seasons a few months back), and I have now gotten all three currently released seasons. Just finished watching Season 2 and can't wait to start watching Season 3.
Old 05-22-05, 09:58 PM

Gilmore Girls, Gilmore Girls, Gilmore Girls.

Even if what you read about this show doesn't convince you, try to rent, borrow, or catch an episode on tv, because it's very difficult to describe this show and make it sound nearly as good as it actually is.

Like Sex & the City, it's got plenty of strong-minded women, and it's funny. For my money this is the most rewarding hour of tv each week, and the DVDs get more play than anything else I own. I won't even try to describe it, you can read a review for that, but this is a great show, very popular with people of all genders and ages, without being at all bland. Lots of drama, comedy, fast-talking, and zaniness, filtered through a zillion pop-culture references.

As far as sitcoms go I can't recommend Scrubs enough. Like Seinfeld in its time, Scrubs is the funniest sitcom on the air right now, I swear. No laugh track frees the show up to milk humour out of every moment, and it does this with abandon.

You might also like Dead Like Me and/or Wonderfalls. Dead Like Me is about a cynical girl who dies and becomes a grim reaper, but still has to get an office job to make ends meet. It's funny, uniquely touching, and has a great ensemble cast including Mandy Patinkin and Jasmine Guy. Season One is out, Season Two is coming soon. Wonderfalls was a romantic comedy by the same creator, and the whole 13-episode series comprises one DVD release.

Another exceptional sitcom is Sports Night. Both seasons of the brilliantly-scripted comedy are available in one extremely addicting set. If you enjoy this, you should also like The West Wing, which has a bit more drama (but you might want to stop at Season Four, series creator and writer Aaron Sorkin's last).

Some DVDtalk reviews*:
(*All of these were rated "Highly Recommended" except for Wonderfalls, which is "Recommended.")

Gilmore Girls:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=10588
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=14949

Scrubs: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=15604

Dead Like Me: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=11044

Wondefalls: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=14200

Sports Night:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=5269
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=5073

P.S. You asked about Six Feet Under and "The OZ." Six Feet Under is a drama about a family that owns a funeral home. "The OC" is a teen/adult prime time soap; "Oz" is a gritty HBO prison drama. Hope this helps.
Old 05-22-05, 11:30 PM

Old 05-23-05, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 345 Likes on 226 Posts
Arrested Development and Scrubs are the two best American comedies today, imo. You might like Coupling, a UK comedy, too.
Old 05-23-05, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Coming out tomorrow! Excellent, funny series with great replay value!
Old 05-23-05, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tasha99
Arrested Development and Scrubs are the two best American comedies today, imo. You might like Coupling, a UK comedy, too.