Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Exchange
Reload this Page >

KenobiKid22 is nothing less than a thief: BEWARE!

Community
Search
DVD Exchange Swap DVDs with your fellow DVD Talkers.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-05, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread is a result of the following FT/FS thread that KenobiKid22 posted on 05/17/05:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...7&page=1&pp=25

As stated in that thread, I bought seven DVDs from him for a total of $34. My birthday is today, 05/20, and I was wanting to use some of my birthday money on a few DVDs that I'd been wanting. He said he would email me on the 18th with the delivery confirmation number to let me know he shipped, but he did not. He hasn't replied to any of my emails since I paid. I thought it was perfectly fine to buy from him, where I pay first before he ships, since I bought a game from him last year. Well, I was wrong on that one.

Yesterday I got an email from someone with the following link, to an eBay auction listing the exact same DVDs he posted in the above thread:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

When I paid him for the seven DVDs, he told me his PayPal account had reached its limit so he had me send pyament to his "girlfriend's" account. That PayPal address, and the name linked to the account is:

[email protected] - Brianna Sexson

Then to take this story to yet another step, someone posted the following link in the original thread this thief posted. This link is to the feedback of an old eBay member, they were banned last year. The last few feedbacks posted are all negative, and all of those mention that they bought something, but this thief did not ever send payments. I've talked to one of them personally, and they stated that they were taken for $100+ alone:

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...id=kenobikid22

I have contacted PayPal, and have started the dispute process. I'm hoping that I do not have a problem with this also. Right now, the status of it is "Waiting For Seller's Response", and I doubt I'll ever get a response. If they don't respond, will PayPal automaticly give the money back to me? How does this work exactly?

This is the first time I've ever been screwed by anyone from DVDTalk or eBay.

Consider this a warning to all of you. If you have dealt with this person, through any of the email addresses or usernames that are included in any of the links I've posted, watch out. They have a long history of doing this to people. Mao contacted me saying that KenobiKid22 has been banned from DVDTalk now, and that the email address used to sign up for DVDTalk no longer works.

If any of you have any information that I can use, like this persons contact information, or whatever, please let me know. If PayPal just gives the money back to me, that is fine, but it is not all that I want to see happen. This person/persons has a history of doing this to people, so eventually someone is going to have to let the right people know about it, to stop it.

Thanks a lot guys, you've already helped me out a lot, let's keep that going.

Last edited by BrentLumkin; 05-21-05 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-20-05, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brent, I once had a dispute that was negotiated through PayPal and I received my money back. In this instance I can't remember whether the other trader was cooperative or not, so it might not apply here, but I was pleased with the results and the way things were handled by PayPal.

I agree that others need to know. The best method seems to be the network of the trustworthy traders. I know I've been alerted to possible scam artists and have returned the favor to others when I thought there might be something suspicious or if I knew of a problem with someone. It's a shame it has to be this way, but vigilance and watching each other's backs can help minimize problems.

Good luck, man.

I wanted to add one last thought: if something seems too good to be true, it likely is a sham. There are some AMAZING deals from people at the forums...I've been on both sides of good deals myself...but something like Hard Boiled CC for $8 from a trader not seen much is a red flag that something is probably rotten in virtual Denmark. While we might miss out on the occasional crazy-good deal, it's certainly worth some caution.

Last edited by PThron; 05-20-05 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-20-05, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the information. I'm sure this will all work out. While I've never been screwed over here at DVDTalk or on eBay, there have been a couple of situations that have happened on other websites where I was screwed over, but both of those ended the way I wanted them to.

This may sound harsh, but I doubt I'll send payment first to someone else unless they are a member that I'm very familiar with.

I guess this is what I get for wanting to blow a little bit of my birthday money.

Yeah, if it sounds too good to be true then it more than likely is. But still:

1) I had bought something from this guy once before, a single video game, and I actually got it.

2) I've bought DVDs from guys on this board that were just as cheap. Some people just need money really quick, and so they decide to both get some fast money really quick, while at the same time giving us some deals.

Still, I guess you can never be too careful. Like I said, this will be the last time I send payment first to someone who I'm not really familliar with.

Last edited by BrentLumkin; 05-20-05 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-20-05, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm sorry to hear about this unfortunate turn of events. I'm glad I wasn't suckered in because I was ready to buy. I've been screwed over on eBay twice, not totalling over $34, but still, that's money I'll never get back. Sometimes I wonder how people sleep at night. Since you did it via PayPal, you'll probably get your money back. Good luck, and happy birthday!
Old 05-20-05, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
Yeah, if it sounds too good to be true then it more than likely is. But still:

1) I had bought something from this guy once before, a single video game, and I actually got it.

2) I've bought DVDs from guys on this board that were just as cheap. Some people just need money really quick, and so they decide to both get some fast money really quick, while at the same time giving us some deals.

Still, I guess you can never be too careful. Like I said, this will be the last time I send payment first to someone who I'm not really familliar with.
I definitely didn't mean to lay blame on you for trying to get in on a good deal. And you were most certainly justified if you'd bought from him before. And as I said, I've gotten some absolutely great deals on discs here. I remember RunDVDMC (you out there, Randy?) liquidating a bunch of his stock for about $10 apiece and there were a bunch of OOPs, etc. As it happens, I ended up spending much of my own Birthday money on about 20 of his discs and was quite pleased. So, you're right about finding great prices 'round here. My point was really a general one about caution.

And happy birthday.
Old 05-20-05, 02:52 PM

"What a Bummer"

boy i just won't buy anything unless hes a Vet member! theres alot of dvds i wanted to buy of the last 4 years and passed on, but the sellers didn't have any feedback or not enough feedback! so i was thinking the other day about this same situation:

If i wouldn't send a used dvd to a new trader at the same time, then why would i even consider sending money ? and then being screwed by a Gold Trader - boy

oh thats right, they have great feedback on all these other sites Ebay, HTF, Centerpoint, Hotpoint, Pressurepoint............what ever their names are!

"WHO CARES"

Anyway hope things work out for you!

Randy/Stef
Old 05-20-05, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've been given the shaft on eBay a few times, but not recently. I guess you need to check things out with traders' history. It's not always easy, but knowing they've dealt in many successful transactions helps. Of course, you did this in good faith since you had been involved in such a transaction with this same guy. When I read his thread, I immediately thought it was too good to be true. I mean, c'mon, Boogie Nights 2-discer for $4? But there have been some great deals on this board, so I don't blame you for trying.

I'm not sure if you'll get your money back, but here's hoping you do. Happy birthday.
Old 05-20-05, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks a lot everyone, I have faith that I'll come out on top of this. I'd still like any information that any of you can provide me.
Old 05-21-05, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

UPDATE

I have received a total refund!

When all of this started, I too my first step. I added his AIM name (it was an AOL email address) to my buddy list under a different username that I have, and then also added his "gf", since it was an AOL email address also.

Earlier tonight, I was alerted that the gf had come online. I had it set to ring like phone so I'd know it the very second it happened. I started by asking if that eBay auction was theirs, it was, and then proceded to pretend to be intested in buying them. I got this exchange going:

EternalotnemeM: I'm interested in the DVDs you have listed on eBay.
BriannaS1984: If it's the lot of dvds I can't sell them, I listed them for my bf and he's selling them on another site and I'm trying to figure out how to take the auction down so no one bids on them
EternalotnemeM: Ugh, I was hoping I could talk to you about em, I'm interested in some of them. Could I call your bf or something and talk to him?
BriannaS1984: He's sold 30 or so I think on another site and I think he's selling them all that way
EternalotnemeM: So I can't talk to him?
EternalotnemeM: I want to buy all that he has left.
EternalotnemeM: I have PayPal and could pay instantly.
BriannaS1984: give me a sec to see which ones he has left.
BriannaS1984: Someone purchased 25 of them and someone got 7 more of them so I'm guessing you can buy the others
After seeing I this person wasn't just going to give me their phone number, I told them flat out who I was, and got this exchange:

EternalotnemeM: If you are who you say you are, you need to read this:
EternalotnemeM: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=423482
EternalotnemeM: I sent $34.00 to YOUR PayPal address for seven DVDs. If I do not receive those DVDs, or my money back, I will contact your local law enforcement. Your bf has a history of selling things, and never shipping them to people. I've talked to multiple people who have been cheated by him.
EternalotnemeM: If you look in your PayPal account, you'll see the fraud claim I filed against you.
EternalotnemeM: Since the PayPal account is in YOUR name.
EternalotnemeM: Brianna Sexson.
EternalotnemeM: The PayPal address I sent you the money FROM, is [email protected], it should be listed as Brent Lumkin.
BriannaS1984: That link will not work for me, like I told you I listed the auction for him and he went ahead and put them on another site. I don't know anything about him "cheating" other people I know he told me that a few people had purchased some of the dvds and those had to be shipped out.
EternalotnemeM: In addition, your bf has been banned from DVDTalk, that site you say he posted them on, because the email address he signed up with at that site went inactive.
EternalotnemeM: Well here, here is your bf's former eBay account...
EternalotnemeM: http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...id=kenobikid22
EternalotnemeM: I've contacted all of the former people he has scammed.
EternalotnemeM: One of them was taken for $100+
EternalotnemeM: I will not become a part of his history.
BriannaS1984: Like I said he isn't here and I suggest you talk to him about that. I'm in my paypal account now and I see that you purchased some dvds from him and I will assure you they will be shipped out to you.
EternalotnemeM: If you are that confident, then give me the phone number at which I can reach him.
EternalotnemeM: You plainly see I have bought something from YOU...remember, this is your account in your name.
EternalotnemeM: You are accountable for my money now.
BriannaS1984: I understand that and I didn't have any idea about any of this. The dvds are here in our apartment and I will have them shipped out to you.
EternalotnemeM: I'm sorry if I still don't believe you. I need reassurance that you are telling me the truth, since I know he has a history of scamming people.
EternalotnemeM: The only way for you to do that, is to give me your, or his, phone number.
EternalotnemeM: If I do not receive some sort of contact information, I'll take this to the next step, through PayPal and law enforcement.
EternalotnemeM: Are you willing to work with me?
BriannaS1984: Well if you want I will just send your money back. Has he taken something from you before?
EternalotnemeM: If you send the money back to me, it wil have to be $35, since PayPal charged me a fee to send the payment to you. You can either PayPal me that $35 right now, or give me a phone number to speak to you and/or him, to assure me that the DVDs will be shipped.
EternalotnemeM: It's your call.
BriannaS1984: I'm sending you 35$ now and I you still want the dvd I will ship them out to you.
BriannaS1984: *and if
EternalotnemeM: I also advise you to make sure that others from DVDTalk get their money back and/or the DVDs they bought. If they do not, they will be taking the same steps that I am taking.
BriannaS1984: I'm sending you the money now. Like I said I didn't know anything about this, but I assure you I will be taking it up with him when he gets home. I asked before, has he taken something from you before now?
EternalotnemeM: No, this is the first time for me. I do not allow people to take advantage of me. I protect myself, and I'm going to urge others to do the same. If I were you, I'd have a long talk with him, about this and about those he took advantage of on eBay last year.
EternalotnemeM: I haven't received the money yet.
BriannaS1984: I assure you I will. I have the list in my paypal account of the DVDs you wanted. I'm going to refund your money and send you the DVDs and I don't care about the money. This should teach him a lesson.
BriannaS1984: It's being sent now.
EternalotnemeM: Do you mind if I post part of this conversation on DVDTalk to show others that you are working with me?
EternalotnemeM: I am not the only one in this situation from DVDTalk.
BriannaS1984: Please tell them to email me or to IM me so I can take care of the dvds they have purchased
EternalotnemeM: I will do that, and I'll post part of this conversation also.
EternalotnemeM: I just got the refund.
BriannaS1984: Ok good.
BriannaS1984: I'm sorry you had to go through this. But I had no idea any of this was going on.
BriannaS1984: It's looks like one other person purchased some dvds from him that was from the dvd site
EternalotnemeM: You don't have to send the DVDs to me, but if you want to you can...
BriannaS1984: Please have that person contact me so I can get everything squared with him also.
BriannaS1984: No I will send you the DVDs
BriannaS1984: There is no need for something like this to go on. I was doing him a favor and I'm being screwed in the end of it. I don't like having to fix the problems he's created.
If any of you have been screwed over by this guy, contact that user name or send an email to it ASAP. I'm even going to contact all others that I know that this guy has screwed over in the past.

Either I freaked out this person enough for them to send me a refund, or this really is his gf and she had no idea he was going this to people. Either way, as of right now, I have solved this issue. Thanks to all of you for your help and support, we can not allow people to get away with screwing you, or anyone else, over...period.
Old 05-21-05, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yay! Glad to hear things got resolved. (And some free dvds for your worries, too. Hey, work some of your litigating magic and get me some free dvds out of it, too!) j/k
Old 05-21-05, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sounds good. It really doesn't seem like the gf knew what was going on, but it's nice that she was willing to work with you. Not all these stories have happy endings, especially to this caliber, so yay.
Old 05-21-05, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll keep updating this when I learn new stuff also.

Brianna has ended the eBay auction for the same DVDs early, now that I've talked to her.
Old 05-21-05, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good to hear Brent. You are one of the good guys here and hate to see the good ones (and there are plenty here) getting screwed.
Old 05-21-05, 05:05 PM

She (or he) was quite straight-forward w/ you! Good to know they did the right thing in the end.

Always protect. Wash & clean lol
Old 05-21-05, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A quick bump for the other guy who bought something from KenobiKid22!
Old 05-21-05, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Congrats dude! I still have not gotten a reply. I wanted to forgo filing a paypal claim but it looks like these individuals have left me little choice. Man you really did a helluva job cracking down. It's really nice to see they didn't get the best of you.
Old 05-21-05, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So Kenobi is a thief... from a certain point of view? Glad you got your money back.

However, since she was helpful you should have asked for pics while you're at it. Oh well.
Old 05-21-05, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would have, but I wasn't totally sure it was really the girlfriend!

And while I'm posting smilies...

Samuel, I forgot you were the other guy who bought items from this person. Thanks a lot for your help, and good luck to you also.

Last edited by BrentLumkin; 05-21-05 at 10:04 PM.