Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Future SW Marathons: Anybody else plan to skip Eps I & II and just start with III?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Future SW Marathons: Anybody else plan to skip Eps I & II and just start with III?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-05, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watched I and II Wednesday night before going to see II yesterday, and I watched IV last night. Having done that, it occurs to me that nothing of any real consequence to the original trilogy happens in either I or II, and that III would be a great start to an 8 hour marathon.

Don't get me wrong, in spite of their being largely disappointing, Eps I and II had their moments (pod race in 5.1 & Darth Maul in I, Obi vs. Jango in II)...but given the fact that I can't reasonably be expected to watch a 12 hour marathon, I think I'll probably skip over them in the future and just start with ROTS, which I thought was brilliant.

Anybody else think that III - VI would make a great one day show and that I - VI would be overlong...or possibly that I and II simply aren't worth watching on a regular basis?

Old 05-20-05, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll go 4,5,1,2,3,6 as proposed by Milo Bloom here:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=420869

But will prob'ly fast forward thru a lot of 1 and 2.
Old 05-20-05, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oops.. KnightLerxst gets the credit.
Old 05-20-05, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's a terrific thread...with a few things I hadn't considered. I even posted one (4, 5, 3, 6).

I just don't think that 1 & 2 accomplish much of anything other than a more gradual decline of Anakin and a more gradual rise of Palpatine...and the fact that the clonetroopers are based on Boba Fett

The fall of Anakin in ROTS is perfectly adequate for me, as is the final rise of Palpatine. The Anakin/Padme romance was handled much better in ROTS as well (no giant tick riding or floating fruit). I especially think that AOTC was worthless filler. Some of TPM is worth saving, but is overridden by too much Gungan crap.

I guess you could just FF the "romance" in clones and the Gungan stuff in menace...then I would really like that order.
Old 05-20-05, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll probably skip I, watch II, Clone War cartoon, then III-VI.
Old 05-20-05, 11:23 AM

i'll watch them all......after reading a lot of EU stuff including the stuff that ties in withe EPI, EPII, and all of the clonewars novels it's pretty apparent that you need that backstory to fully experience Star Wars

the novels make the movies much deeper. though my girlfriend isn't into star wars and has only seen ROTJ and i plan on starting her off with EPIII. if she's going to be a casual fan there isn't any real reason to throw EPI and EPII at her untl i find out if she even likes teh others
Old 05-20-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually, I'll watch I & II and pretend the rest of the saga doesn't exist.
Old 05-20-05, 01:48 PM
Suspended pending providing a working email address

I and II? What are they? As far as I'm Concerned the Star Wars Saga is EP's III - VI
Old 05-20-05, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jarofclay73
Actually, I'll watch I & II and pretend the rest of the saga doesn't exist.
Old 05-20-05, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Last marathon started with II. No one had any desire to watch I. We watched II, then IV - VI.
Old 05-20-05, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll do the 4,5,3,6,2,1 order too. If I don't get to 2 and 1, not a big deal.

Last edited by chanster; 05-20-05 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-20-05, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I won't skip any. I can't wait to watch 1 - 6. I rushed home and watched new hope right after sith and its amazing how well they link up, and there are some new meanings and more powerful moments now. Also if you are watcking the new dvds, the video quality is closer they anyone could have hoped. I have a top of the line laserdisc player and the special edition set from Japan, and it looked and sounded like a lot of dvds out there. Then when you see what they did to the dvd its unreal. Its like they reshot the film.

If you some how never saw any of them before, I can't decide if 1 2 3 4 5 6 or 4 5 6 1 2 3 would be better both would have their advantages. If you watch in order, the "I am your father" is gone, but almost everyone knows that now anyway. However, if you watch in order, The Vader and OB1 duel is far more powerful, and Luke's belief is father is more powerful. Not to mention Vader returning balance to the force.
Old 05-20-05, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really think that 4, 5, (maybe 1 & 2), 3, 6 is the way to go...it gives you the backstory right when you want it most and it sets Vader up as a more sympathetic character for 6.
Old 05-20-05, 03:28 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Actually, it would be sweet to edit I & II into a single two-hour movie. Cut out (or down) the irrelevant stuff. Of course, it's all too intertwined to make it an EFFECTIVE cut. But for purposes of recap and highlights it would work.
Old 05-20-05, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm gonna watch em' all.
Old 05-20-05, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd skip 1 but definitely watch 2... man, after seeing episode 3, just thinking that had Lucas done Clones as episode 1 and this as episode 2 (with a third following about more early darth stuff and the rebel alliance etc.) he could have made another trilogy just as good as the OT...that would have been a hell of a thing.

MATT
Old 05-21-05, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So you guys will only watch III because it is significant for the fact that everything that happens is tied with the original trilogy? No regard for the new trilogy eh?
Old 05-21-05, 04:44 AM
Banned

No, why would you skip the beginning of the story. You can't just start up in the middle, that's really quite disrespectful...
Old 05-21-05, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh
No, why would you skip the beginning of the story. You can't just start up in the middle, that's really quite disrespectful...

Yeah, because 25 years ago Lucas didn't start in the middle....

Can you skip them? I'm sure you can. I know many think that Episode I isn't a very good film. Though now with all the pieces to the puzzle in place, rewatching it is a bit more enjoyable when you think of all the aspects of how Palp played the game. So while Episode I is still a sub par film, it has new aspects to look at it which adds something to it.

I wouldn't skip episode II at all. Episode III is the tail end of the clone wars. You should atleast get the start of it.

Personally, I think I wont be doing a 1-6 marathon any time soon. I may do an episode I-3 and then an episode 4-6 marathon by themselves. The way the movies have aged compared to the newer films, it would be kind of hard to do it straight through without feeling a bit dated.
Old 05-21-05, 05:15 AM
Banned

Yeah, because 25 years ago Lucas didn't start in the middle....
Ya gotta work with what ya got.

He knew that it was going to be easier to write around the lack of technology in FX for 4-6, than it would be for 1-3.

Oh and stop trying to bait me.
Old 05-21-05, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
How am I trying to bait you? My suggestion is to just not take a discussion personal. You and I keep to that and the discussion stays on topic and I'm sure there wont be any leading up to curse words.

25 years ago he had the general idea out there, but if he did Episode I instead of Episode IV back then, it would have been really really really REALLY different. I'm sure it wasn't a matter of technology that was holding him back. It was what he had along the lines of an idea.

I'm sure there is plenty of folks who would gladly say that the prequels may have been mapped out to some degree, but the majority of it was just made up long after the original trilogy was finished. To some degree, I'm sure some folks think that the prequels were pretty half assed and episode III's stuff was just written along the way.

You must not have read my post all the way. I said I wouldn't skip any of the episodes. Episode I, now with Episode III out there has actually become a bit more enjoyable. Sure it still has a lot of smell to it. But with the some of the things from Episode III, it has a new twist to it. No way should you toss it out. Not for a lack of respect, but more for the ability to have more of an understanding to some of the aspects to the star wars universe.

Much like not watching Clone wars cartoon leaves you to not knowning why General was coughing so much.

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 05-21-05 at 05:48 AM.
Old 05-21-05, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess I am in a minority of those who likes Episode 2. I have watched Episode 1 a few times since I got it on DVD, and I have to honestly say I hate the movie more and more with repeat viewings. I knew it would be slow and setting everything up, but Jar Jar is just such a void of a character. Annoying voice and mannerisms aside, his character brings NOTHING to the table at all. The movie has to come to a complete halt whenever there is a scene with Jar Jar because he brings no development to the flow of anything. His presence in the movie makes the story and the over all movie feel clunky and just awkward. And the whole ending where everybody is getting their asses kicked by the droid army and Anakin accidenly blows up the space station that controls the droids. I guess we were supposed to see he was able to use the force, but there is nothing in the narrative of the movie that suggests he was tapping into the force there. Just a horrible conclusion to a horrible movie.

I will be glad to include all the other movies in a marathon though.
Old 05-21-05, 03:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
How am I trying to bait you? My suggestion is to just not take a discussion personal. You and I keep to that and the discussion stays on topic and I'm sure there wont be any leading up to curse words.

25 years ago he had the general idea out there, but if he did Episode I instead of Episode IV back then, it would have been really really really REALLY different. I'm sure it wasn't a matter of technology that was holding him back. It was what he had along the lines of an idea.

I'm sure there is plenty of folks who would gladly say that the prequels may have been mapped out to some degree, but the majority of it was just made up long after the original trilogy was finished. To some degree, I'm sure some folks think that the prequels were pretty half assed and episode III's stuff was just written along the way.

You must not have read my post all the way. I said I wouldn't skip any of the episodes. Episode I, now with Episode III out there has actually become a bit more enjoyable. Sure it still has a lot of smell to it. But with the some of the things from Episode III, it has a new twist to it. No way should you toss it out. Not for a lack of respect, but more for the ability to have more of an understanding to some of the aspects to the star wars universe.

Much like not watching Clone wars cartoon leaves you to not knowning why General was coughing so much.
Well you tell me how he could have done everything that he has in the Prequels back in the 70's and early 80's with the technology available back then?

He simply couldn't have and the second Trilogy was easier to write around the technology than 1-3. There's not way they could have done Coruscant back then.
Old 05-22-05, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I like episode I...not sure about marathons though....
Old 05-22-05, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just checked the Video Movie Guide, Ep.I and II are both 5 stars.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.