Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

C3PO question (spoilers contained within)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-19-05, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

reposted my original post with spoiler warning as was recommended

i may have heard this wrong but towards the end didnt jimmy smits (when in the hallway of the leia-like ship with the two droids) to perform a memory wipe on the protocol droid? I heard it as not instructing a memory wipe on R2. If I am understanding it right then C3po had a memory wipe but not r2? If that is the case and 3po can communicate w/ r2 is it safe to assume in 4,5,6 c3po knows all the history as well? maybe silly question but you wonder these things at 3 in the morning.
Old 05-19-05, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think R2 can keep a secret....
Old 05-19-05, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

R2 knows. Lucas likes R2 more anyway.
Old 05-19-05, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How else would R2 know where to find Obi Wan...

Now if we only knew how 3PO got the silver leg.
Old 05-19-05, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I posted it in the other thread, but R2 is a hero character so of course he still knows. I don't think he has told C3PO everything that happened. For one thing C3PO doesn't take him seriously and probably wouldn't believe him anyway.
Old 05-19-05, 02:31 PM

C3PO was created by Anakin and basically knows Anakin's entire life. The movie makes us believe that only the main characters know that Anakin has become Darth Vadar, so it could possibly be part of a coverup. C3PO also has a big mouth, but they should have reprogrammed him to talk less.
Old 05-19-05, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's a good question. But R2D2 was searching for Kenobi because Leia told him to. He would have done that regardles of if he knew Anakin becomes Vader.
Old 05-19-05, 02:48 PM

R2 knows where Ben is, hence he wants to take the "Much too rocky" walk after they land in the escape pod in IV. He doesn't tell 3PO anything, becasue he is programed not to I would guess, so he pulls the "F-you 3PO, you go that way, I need to go this way" attitude.

It works for me.
Old 05-19-05, 03:56 PM

A better question, is how come Kenobi doesn't recognize R2 in Ep. 4? Maybe all those years in the desert made him loopy.
Old 05-19-05, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by masetodd
A better question, is how come Kenobi doesn't recognize R2 in Ep. 4?
Who says? He said he never remembered owning any droid.

Plus, would you recognize a toaster you owned 25 years ago?
Old 05-19-05, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 181 Posts
I think the relationship between the two especially after ep 3 is a little more than you would have with your toaster....unless of course you're saying you have a strong bond with your toaster in which case I apologize.
Old 05-19-05, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs.Nesbit
I think the relationship between the two especially after ep 3 is a little more than you would have with your toaster....unless of course you're saying you have a strong bond with your toaster in which case I apologize.
Both an astromech droid and a toaster are common household items in my comparison. How many different colors could R2 units come in? There are probably a billion blue and silver R2 units.
Old 05-19-05, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exactly. Obi-Wan is not telling the full truth during that encounter. That much is clear by the very next film.

He probably does recognize the droids. But he's not going to say: "Hey, Luke -- that golden droid was actually made by your dad. Isn't that cool? But, actually, it's not so cool because he's Darth Vader. By the way, want to help me rescue your sister? She's the chick in the message that is giving you such a woody. Use all of those midi-cholorians that are floating around in you to redirect your blood elsewhere my friend. Attachment is forbidden if you want me to train you as a Jedi. And, frankly, liking your sis like that is just a bit gross, Jedi or not. Oh, hey, R2... didn't see you there, dude! What have you been up to for the past few decades? Hey... remember when we rescued Palpatine? Good bit of work there -- I've always meant to thank you for that. Of course, he turned out to be a frickin' Sith Lord, so we probably should have skipped the whole thing."
Old 05-19-05, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by bboisvert
Exactly. Obi-Wan is not telling the full truth during that encounter. That much is clear by the very next film.

He probably does recognize the droids. But he's not going to say: "Hey, Luke -- that golden droid was actually made by your dad. Isn't that cool? But, actually, it's not so cool because he's Darth Vader. By the way, want to help me rescue your sister? She's the chick in the message that is giving you such a woody. Use all of those midi-cholorians that are floating around in you to redirect your blood elsewhere my friend. Attachment is forbidden if you want me to train you as a Jedi. And, frankly, liking your sis like that is just a bit gross, Jedi or not. Oh, hey, R2... didn't see you there, dude! What have you been up to for the past few decades? Hey... remember when we rescued Palpatine? Good bit of work there -- I've always meant to thank you for that. Of course, he turned out to be a frickin' Sith Lord, so we probably should have skipped the whole thing."
Old 05-19-05, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Morf
Both an astromech droid and a toaster are common household items in my comparison. How many different colors could R2 units come in? There are probably a billion blue and silver R2 units.
Yeah but he remembers R2. They went through a lot together and besides R2 has spunk. How many toasters do you know that have spunk?

Last edited by Mrs.Nesbit; 05-19-05 at 04:30 PM.
Old 05-19-05, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah but he remembers R2. They went through a lot together and besides R2 has spunk. How many toasters do you know that have spunk?
I have a "strong bond" with my toaster. And it's full of spunk.

Old 05-19-05, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Would anyone like any toast?"
Old 05-19-05, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If your smiley animation is any indication I'm sure it's full of "Spunk".
Old 05-19-05, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

No soggy toast for me, thanks.
Old 05-19-05, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Actually, he didn't go through much with R2. Obi-Wan wasn't in the room when R2 was addressed by Queen Amidala after saving the ship in TPM. He was left with the ship while R2 went into Mos Espa with Qui-Gon. In the final battle, R2 is in space with Anakin.

In Episode II, Obi-Want is by himself most of the time, and had a different Astromech unit in his ship (R4 or R5). Same thing in Episode III. Although he does have a bit of a conversation with him during the opening sequence. But that's the only time in the series where he really had experience with R2.

As for C-3PO, let's not forget how many protocol droids there are. I mean we see 2 of them in the opening of Episode IV. There's one near the beginning of Episode I. Beyond that, Obi-Wan may not have known he was made by Anakin. 3PO stayed behind in Episode I, and Obi-Wan isn't around when Anakin goes back to save his mother, and take possession of 3PO. In Episode III, he's with Padme through most of the film.
Old 05-19-05, 06:58 PM

As stupid as it probaly sounds, I always had a small glimmer of hope that R2 had some jedi connection. He's always there when the sh1t hits the fan and manages to get out of it.
Old 05-23-05, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If I remember right ,in ep.4 didn't Luke says that r2 said he belongs to a Ben Kenobi? If r2 knew him,and knew where he was,why didn't he go crazy when he found him,since r2 is such an animated droid?
Old 05-23-05, 03:56 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Premise
If I remember right ,in ep.4 didn't Luke says that r2 said he belongs to a Ben Kenobi? If r2 knew him,and knew where he was,why didn't he go crazy when he found him,since r2 is such an animated droid?
After 20 years, the bread doesn't pop out of my toaster as lively as it used to. even appliances age over time.
Old 05-23-05, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,116 Posts
The whole memory wipe thing was just a way for George to fill a plot hole created in Star Wars when he decided to make the Prequels. It's just a "bone" thrown to fans who sit and dream up shit in a Fairytale story.

But ya'll knew that....

Anyway, has anyone seen a comic set during Empire Strikes Back where Vader recognizes 3po? It was after 3po got blasted and his parts collected by Stormtroopers and taken to Vader. He then takes the Head of 3po and recognizes him and gets bummed out.
Old 05-23-05, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by masetodd
A better question, is how come Kenobi doesn't recognize R2 in Ep. 4? Maybe all those years in the desert made him loopy.
I thought this, but I watched EpIV again last night and I think Obi-Wan does recognise R2. Look at the expression on Alec Guiness's face when Luke says that R2 was looking for him. He knows something big is about to happen and is being cautious about what he says.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.