Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

So, Besides the Film, How Was Your Overall Opening Night Experience?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-19-05, 03:02 AM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got back home from the 12:01 DLP showing at the AMC in NYC. 5 hours in line outside but well worth it. Had some cool people to hang out with and watched movies and played some Adhoc games with other Sony PSP owners on line. The theater had sidewalk waiter service - all items $1. Hot dogs, popcorn, drinks...all for $1. They also gave out some star wars swag bags that had Fruit loops, a lightsaber spoon, a very nice limited edition medallion, mini M&Ms, bottled water and some target coupons for various star wars items. At one point, a container of milk (for the fruit loops) was being passed back through the ticket holders line which was a few city blocks long.

A lot of folks were dressed up, many jedi, a few Vader and a couple of princesses.

The crowd at my theater was fantastic. Cheering at appropriate parts of the film but otherwise silent through out. I had a great time.
Old 05-19-05, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I mentioned this in the other thread, but I got bored watching the end of the Suns/Mavs game around 11:50pm and on the spur of the moment, hopped in my car and drove to the local movie theater. No line, no nothing. I walked up to the counter, got a ticket, walked in, found a central seat with ease, and watched the movie. It was remarkably uneventful.

das
Old 05-19-05, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The line was pretty fun, though nothing spectacular. The best part was the 200 pissed of patrons when the projector broke ... there was a younger girl there with her parents, looked to be maybe 13, screaming "I DEMAND RESTITUTION!" as we were shooed from the theater and given a free pass.
Old 05-19-05, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

great stuff going on in nashville. Took the wife and our baby girl. took some pics with the 501st guys and the baby. News crews, tons of fans, lots of laughter....

good time Nashville After Darth
Old 05-19-05, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts
Projector broke 45 Min's in. My experience sucked
Old 05-19-05, 07:57 AM

Went an hour early, great fans, short wait, well worth the loss of sleep.
Old 05-19-05, 08:00 AM

I had a great time. The line was around the theater. The local Carmike sold out 6 screens with 290 people per screen so we were in line from 10pm until around 12:15. My friends were dressed as Darth Sidious, Boba Fett, a Storm Trooper, and a couple others. They were getting alot of attention from everyone including the theater employees. Everyone wanted to take a picture with them. It was alot of fun.
Old 05-19-05, 08:29 AM

Good time. Showed up < an hour before the show, slight line, only 2 showings both sold out...

0 line for refreshments (guess nobody wants those at 10 o' clock)

Good seats, and a crowd that seemed to be into it at the right times, and as others have said, quite the rest of the time.

Overall no problems. Also, they started the movie like 30 minutes early, well all the previews and stuff which I thought was nice, since there was like 50 of them.. ha

Glad to have done it, and really feel no worse for the wear at work today, what's 2 less hours of sleep really..
Old 05-19-05, 09:15 AM

our theater blocked off two rows of parking in the lot for our 5 lines......was in line for 6 hours but we had the laptop and watched AOTC. Vader, Boba, a few Imperial Guards, and a few Stormtroopers showed up.

overall a really good experience

i missed being on the front page of the local paper by a few feet. thankfully a lightsaber fight blocked me

Last edited by Daytrip; 05-19-05 at 09:46 AM.
Old 05-19-05, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 504 Likes on 349 Posts
I caught the flick at 2 in the afternoon (test screening). My local 501st compadres and I trooped the AMC from 9 to midnight and had a blast. The staff was gracious and the fans were very happy to see us (three Stormtroopers, two Scouttroopers, a Jawa, a Boba Fett, a Tusken Raider, and a TIE Pilot). There were plenty of funny amateur costumes out as well, including a neat old school trashcan R2. I'm seeing the movie again this afternoon at 2:30, then we are trooping again tonight from 7-9, then again tomorrow night from 7-midnight, then again Saturday afternoon. I will see the movie yet again Tuesday night after trooping a bit for a local radio station. Free tickets are nice.

We actually made the front page (big pic) of the Sunday paper last week, and a 2 page article with pix in the lifestyles section.

Last edited by AGuyNamedMike; 05-19-05 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-19-05, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Daytrip
watched ATOC.
Attack The Of Clones
Old 05-19-05, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

the popcorn trick finally worked, so
Old 05-19-05, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

There was an obnoxious girl around 10 years old sitting directly behind me. During the Yoda/Palpatine battle she was booing (quite loudly) when Yoda came into the chamber and every time Yoda did something good. Then she would cheer every time Yoda was knocked down. She obviously doesn't like Yoda very much, or else she was just trying to be annoying. Why her parent didn't shut her up is beyond me.
Old 05-19-05, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the crowd was really rowdy before the show. some people were acually acting like real a$$holes. as sooon as the movie started, the entire crowd went silent
Old 05-19-05, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Lack of sleep prevents full response zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Old 05-19-05, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Attack The Of Clones
sorry, fell victim to the fast typing teh-the thing
Old 05-19-05, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts
really good, everyone was quiet during the movie, no one was kicking or talking behind me, so that was also good

the only annoying thing was during the previews, every person with an opinion tried to be funny outloud.

during the "Lucasfilms" intro, someone did a really loud Little John impression which I thought was funny. YEEEEEEEAAA
Old 05-19-05, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I deleted my dupe thread. Sorry about that.

Mine was awesome as usual, although probably tamer than most. There was one guy dressed up as Vader and another one in homemade Jedi Robes with long hair ala Qui-Gon. About 30 minutes before the movie started, people chanted for them to fight in front and they obliged us. Then one guy who had an empty bucket of KFC on his head with eye-slits cut out decided he'd be next in line to fight Vader. He won too!

Other than that, no cell fone interruptions, no babies crying, etc. I was surprised to see a grandma-type with I guess were her grown up grandchildren. That was kinda weird.
Old 05-19-05, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
It's been a tradition for me to check out how the media covers the midnight premiers ever since the prequels were released.
This morning's was terribly disappointing considering that this is the last Star Wars movie and the best reviewed movie of the recent three. There were only about a total of 7 or 8 viewer reactions (And that's ALL from ABC,NBC,CBS and Fox) that made it on the air compared to the dozens for TPM and AOTC.
The big highlight was actually from yesterday when the "Star Wars Line" marched from the Chinese theater to the Arclight in LA. The aerial shots of the stormtroopers being led by Vader (Also including a cute lookin' Leia-slave) was too damn cool.

Oh, and I haven't seen the movie yet (Going tonight) but I may be back if there's something neat to share.

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 05-19-05 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-19-05, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Mine was great. The theater guy came and made a speach about everyone being quiet and not bothering people that had stood in line for over 24 hours to get good seats. Sure enough the crowd was great. Yoda and R2 got a bunch of cheers and the crowd actually made the experience better unlike most movie audiences.
Old 05-19-05, 10:48 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Had a great time, people were dress up and a lot of laughs. I even won some free stuff (light sabre).
Old 05-19-05, 10:55 AM
Retired

No problems here. Got at the theater at about 10:45. There were several lines (showing on 8 screens) some where long, some weren't.

I was a little worried when I asked one of the employees where my line was, and they said we could go ahead and go in. The theater was pretty crowed, but we had no problems finding good seats.

So it worked out well, didn't have to stand in line, and only had sit in the theater for an hour and 10 minutes or so.

Not to many dressed up people. Just a few Darth Vader's and people in Jedi robes.
Old 05-19-05, 11:00 AM

Received 174 Likes on 124 Posts
Overall a very good experience. Went to the theatre, which had 6 screens completely sold out, about 2.5 hours early. There were probably about 100 to 150 people dressed up, from Chewbacca and Jango Fett to Vadera and Shaak Ti. Most all were very well behaved and in congenial spirits.

We waited in line for about an hour and a half before we were let in the theatre at about 11:30. Aside from the seemingly never ending previews and the long wait at the consession stand, everything went off flawless. Very little inappropriate noise or talking, and the film played as it should have. A very positive experience.
Old 05-19-05, 11:38 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We had one Stormtrooper, a half-assed Qui Gon, and some chick who was some character I've seen before but couldn't recognize... with black makeup marks on her cheeks and a black robe? Apparently the stormtrooper was harassed by mall security at some point because mall rules say you can't wear a mask in the mall, and his helmet concealed his face and thus was a mask. Now I have the funny mental image of a stormtrooper robbing Old Navy at blaster point.

In the theater lobby there was a group of weirdos playing Magic the Gathering. There was also a group playing hacky sack and one of them got pissed when the sack went flying at me and I didn't kick it. F*** off, hippies... my pant pockets are loaded with a PSP, cell phone, camera, etc.

The theater was incredibly lax on their outside food rules, as we had people ordering pizza and 80% of the line seemed to have 20 oz bottles of soda and not the theater's fountain cups. As for free stuff, we did get some GameCrazy coupons.
Old 05-19-05, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
We almost had a riot in my showing. Right when they show the scene where the emperor and darth are looking at the death star, the projector went out. Man, i actually feared for the managers life. When he was talking to the audience, i swear he was pissing his pants. And as soon as he was done, they let him have it.

They gave out refunds and then said "The movie will continue in 5 minutes", so we went back into the theater and watched the rest. Best part is the idiots at the front giving out the refunds weren't taking stubs, so i got 2 free passes.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.