Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

I'll Sleep When I'm Dead..Questions

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-05, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What a mess this movie was. I've got a few questions I hope some of you can answer in hopes of elevating my opinion of this waste of a movie. Let's start with that other "mob" character. The one that was supposedly in charge. I was kinda getting a Carlito's Way vibe, that Clive Owen's character was a former hot shot and now this guy is. And this mob boss guy doesn't want to lose control now that Clive's back. Ok, I get that. But then there's the scene with the gum stuck on the doorbell and the dude in the black bag. What was the point of that? So, then the mob boss character meets up with this Irish hitman dude who is supposed to kill Clive but then the movie ends and he doesn't.

Anyway, if you would like to rationalize and defend this garbage of a movie feel free to. The movie had subplots that went nowhere, dialogue that never revealed characters, relationships that weren't fully defined and above all a very weak revenge plot.
Old 05-18-05, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I was also really disappointed in the execution of this movie. It had great potential at the beginning of the story, but it didn't seem to go anywhere interesting. There didn't seem to be any irony or tragedy by the time the film wrapped itself up; just a bunch of unanswered questions and dangling story points.
Old 05-18-05, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've only been burnt once before with a blind-bought bad movie with good actors. The other time being the movie "Twilight" featuring Paul Newman, Gene Hackman, James Garner and Susan Sarandon. This title really takes the cake though. It read like a decent flick but played out like a confused mess. I own it but in no way can I defend its ineptness.
Old 05-19-05, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Let's start with that other "mob" character. The one that was supposedly in charge. I was kinda getting a Carlito's Way vibe, that Clive Owen's character was a former hot shot and now this guy is. And this mob boss guy doesn't want to lose control now that Clive's back.
But Clive's character is not back. He is only there to clean up the brother situation and never says otherwise.
But then there's the scene with the gum stuck on the doorbell and the dude in the black bag. What was the point of that?
It convinces the mob boss that Clive is back and motivates him to bump him off. It also reveals the boss and Clive's old gang to be juvenile fools in contrast to Clive who has grown up and moved on.
So, then the mob boss character meets up with this Irish hitman dude who is supposed to kill Clive but then the movie ends and he doesn't.
Hodges is subverting genre convention where Clive is expected to re-engage in his own life, rescue the girl and clean up the town... or die trying. I'll Sleep... is more specifically a variation of Hodges classic Get Carter in which Michael Caine does all of the above and more in a similar story.
Anyway, if you would like to rationalize and defend this garbage of a movie feel free to. The movie had subplots that went nowhere, dialogue that never revealed characters, relationships that weren't fully defined and above all a very weak revenge plot.
Rather than a simple revenge plot, this movie is a search for the meaning behind violence rather than a glorification and pursuit of it. Clive's character is a man haunted by a bloody past who has grown a conscience and now struggles to understand why people do terrible things to each other.