Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Unsolved Mysteries.Creepiest show ever?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-05, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unsolved Mysteries.Creepiest show ever?

I love being freaked out watching the re-runs.They could be doing a story of a puppy in a park.But, between Robert Stack's voice and the music
Old 05-17-05, 10:41 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Yes. There are 6 volumes available on DVD. All are great (except maybe Miracles). Wal-Mart carrys a few (Usually Ghosts and Bizzare Murders) for $25.xx
Old 05-18-05, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would agree. Get the dvd sets....definately alot better watching similiar themed re-enactments than watching a murder, than the tearful family reunion, then back to a ghost story.
Old 05-18-05, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yeah, i always kept expecting a knock on my door and then the mysterious killer would appear.
Old 05-19-05, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Premise
They could be doing a story of a puppy in a park.

a killer puppy... they love using the fog machine
Old 05-19-05, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah... that show really creeped me out when I was a kid. Robert Stack's voice and the theme music really did it.
Old 05-19-05, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I remember watching it late at night as a kid and being scared to death of the alien abduction stories. Lifetime doesn't rerun those, unfortunately.
Old 05-19-05, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah that show was very creepy. Like the kind of creepy where you don't really want to walk past your windows at night becuase you'll afraid there will be some stranger or creature out there lurking.

Still not as creepy as any Slim Goodbody show.
Old 05-20-05, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh is this the one where they had that guy from the Airplane! movie? Yeah his voice with the show i would be scared shitless, bad idea watching this at night.
Old 05-20-05, 02:51 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I prefer the earlier show with Robert Stack, "Bullshit or Not?"
Old 05-20-05, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's always the skeptible until they see it they've been reverted.
Old 05-20-05, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts
In answer to the title, absolutely! The show did itself no favours by showing nonsense like ghosts and miracles, but the crime and missing-persons material was done with such subdued, unnerving style that the show was often genuinely eerie, especially with Stack's inimitably husky voice, his sincerity in presentation, and the great music scores (especially the theme music, which they unfortunately watered down increasingly over the years; the original version was the best).

I also found many of the reunion/lost-love/find-this-stranger-who-helped-me stories genuinely moving. The two I recall the best are, first, the reminiscences of a middle-aged man of his childhood in Belgium (?) during WWII, when his mother invited famished alliance soldiers and Nazi soldiers into her backwoods cabin in the middle of winter to eat, but insisted they leave their weapons outside. It was an unforgettable evening of breaking bread near a warm fireplace, and of enemies, who didn't even speak the same language, seeing each other as human beings.
The other of those stories I most remember concerned the girl who had run away from home and found herself frightened and sad on a Greyhound to nowhere, when three burly truck drivers befriended her, listened to her tale, bought her lunch, and persuaded her to return home to her parents, paying for the trip to boot.
Old 05-20-05, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
They did a haunted house segment once that scared me shitless.

The story of the haunting wasn't particularly scary, but there was one shot in particular that really did me in. It's a POV shot from someone laying in bed looking up at the ceiling. All of a sudden a male ghost appears and leans over the bed while looking straight into the camera.

Gives me chills just thinking about it, and it's the sole reason that I can't sleep on my back to this day.

What an awesome show.
Old 05-20-05, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The music totally freaked me out as a kid. Now I watch the reruns and I can laugh about it.

I wonder though, how many cases are now solved but Robert Stack has passed on and can't do 'updates'. Maybe someone tells Lifetime not to re-show stuff that's resolved?
Old 05-21-05, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That show scared the shit out of me as a kid. I was paranoid for years about wandering murderers, alien abductions and non-alien-related kidnappings.

The thing is, I didn't stop watching because I had to know what to watch out for.

The music was kinda cool, but I definitely don't miss the sleepless nights.
Old 05-21-05, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by lopper
They did a haunted house segment once that scared me shitless.

The story of the haunting wasn't particularly scary, but there was one shot in particular that really did me in. It's a POV shot from someone laying in bed looking up at the ceiling. All of a sudden a male ghost appears and leans over the bed while looking straight into the camera.

Gives me chills just thinking about it, and it's the sole reason that I can't sleep on my back to this day.

What an awesome show.
Those damn ghost stories would creep me out every time. They were 10x as scary as any horror movie IMO.