Reload this Page >

Kung Fu Hustle

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Kung Fu Hustle

Old 05-16-05, 11:01 PM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
Kung Fu Hustle

Sony Home Entertainment will release this popular title in Region 1 on August 9th...full details to follow soon~
Old 05-16-05, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the information!

I recently put my R3 Hong Kong version of Kung Fu Hustle on eBay, but they deleted the auction saying that Sony contacted them and told them to do so.
Old 05-16-05, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yay!!!!!!
Old 05-16-05, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Woooo!
Old 05-17-05, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
Thanks for the information!

I recently put my R3 Hong Kong version of Kung Fu Hustle on eBay, but they deleted the auction saying that Sony contacted them and told them to do so.
WHAT?! really? ebay got the right to do such thing? i mean aren't you supossed to selll anything u want in there?
Old 05-17-05, 06:04 AM
Banned

Excellent!
Old 05-17-05, 07:21 AM

sweet, thanks for the news, hopefully this will get better treatment than shaolin soccer which had noe xtras, i really loved this movie.
Old 05-17-05, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Hoping for a good transfer and some relevant extras.
Old 05-17-05, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

good stuff...skipped it in theaters, but everyone has been talking my ear off on this one...
Old 05-18-05, 04:51 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah. Great news. That movie cracked me up all the way, except the fight scenes which are more serious.
Old 05-18-05, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Awesome. August can't come quickly enough. Best movie I have seen in theatres this year. Had to go right out and see it again the next day, and drag two friends along.
Old 05-19-05, 02:36 PM

Unexpectedly sweet movie. Very funny, but for some reason the stuff about the lollipop got me. Great film. Will definitely pick up August 9.
Old 05-19-05, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I was going to spring for the R2 SB of this but i'll just get the R1 instead. Good News indeed.
Old 05-19-05, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Great news!!! I missed it in theaters, but will definitely check it out on DVD.

Last edited by steebo777; 05-20-05 at 08:32 AM.
Old 05-19-05, 07:15 PM

Easily the most enjoyable movie I've seen all year. I imported the HK R3 disk a few months back and love it. My grandmother wants to see it but she has a problem with subtitles so an English track would give me a good reason to buy the R1 version also.
Old 05-19-05, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

jlm71176, very cool Grandmom !
Old 05-20-05, 02:57 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by steebo777
Great news!!! I missed it in theaters, but will definitely check it out on DVD.
Fixed
Old 05-20-05, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by animatedude
WHAT?! really? ebay got the right to do such thing? i mean aren't you supossed to selll anything u want in there?
I hope you're being facetious. Just in case you're not...no, you can't sell anything you want there. You can't sell your little brother into slavery, you can't sell used underwear, you can't sell illegal narcotics, you can't sell stolen goods, you apparently can't sell something that the company holding it's rights doesn't want you to, and so on and so forth.

Regarding the film, I thought it was decent, but not great. I'll buy the DVD just to give it another shot, because when I saw it back in December, I'd already been in a theater for around 22 hours straight. Since it's been 6 months, and since I was barely conscious when I first watched it, maybe I'm just not aware of how good it is. As it stands, though, I'm kinda indifferent about the film. Enjoyed it on some level, but wouldn't recommend it to anybody.

-JP
Old 05-20-05, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If I purchase a Sony product can they control what I do with it? If I buy a Sony product overseas? This isn't a bootleg, it's legal and the seller's property. He has every right to sell it.
Old 05-20-05, 07:04 AM
JM1

Kung Fu Hustle

OK you cannot exactly sell anything you want on ebay, but it''s still a valid question as to why Sony asked Ebay to remove the item.

I have just ordered the R3 myself, and at some point may upgrade to a better version.

But I am still curious as to why Sony would remove the item. It set's a dangerous precedent if they can do this, because if they can do it what's to stop any company doing it?

I can only assume their reason is because the film is not available on DVD outside of the R3 region, so they obviously want people in the West to buy the official R1/R2 versions when they come out.

I suppose I can see their point of view, but having purchased the film in good faith and imported it legally I don't think it's fair to restrict people from selling it on.

Are they legally allowed to do this? Or have they just come down heavy handed on Ebay and said if you don't remove it we'll sue etc?
Old 05-20-05, 07:43 AM

Well, Sony put a lot of money into distributing the film in the US, so I don't begrudge them for trying to protect their investment. By extension, for the same reason us.yesasia can't sell the DVD online, neither can you sell it on eBay. Sony owns the rights. As to having imported it legally, technically, I don't think so. Usually, the DVD says something like "for sale in HK and Macau only".
Old 05-20-05, 09:07 AM
JM1

I think there is a fundamental difference between a DVD company selling the film officially through their site before it is available in that region, and a private individual who has purchased the film legally selling it on through Ebay.

The official website would be breaking the acknowledged region codes rules, that's accepted. But the individual who has purchased the DVD owns the intellectual property rights to that DVD he now owns - it's his to sell on as he wishes.

This question about selling on DVD's has come up on here before, and the question as to who own's it was clarified on here by a person well versed in the law. Sony may have sold the product and own distribution rights etc, but they have no claim over the product that the seller now owns.

It's different if someone is obviously offering a whole bunch of them for sale, but genuine cases of someone offloading their single copy to upgrade etc should not be banned.

And on the question of importing legally, I have to differ there too. You can as an individual import legally for private use - I just purchased the same film from a legitimate US DVD website, of which there are many. (I am in the UK, by the way).

Whichever way you look at it, this is Sony trying to use their muscle and increase their profits.

The guy who sells it on is going to buy an R1 copy of the movie anyway, so he has bought it twice.

The other point this raises is the whole notion of selling something "privately". Is selling on Ebay considered private selling? Obviously not, as it now transpires.

You have to look at the wider implications of this - if you allow companies like Sony to do this, Ebay will also bow to the will of other companies too. If you try to sell a dvd, cd, car, bike, lawnmower - whatever. Whats to stop the companies selling those same goods stopping that sale because they want you to buy it from them?

The whole point of ebay was to create an online marketplace where private individuals could buy and sell, enter into a contract, agree a price and legally make a transaction.
Old 05-20-05, 12:23 PM

I think the distinction between a private seller and a business is hard to determine on eBay anymore. Obviously, people are operating small businesses out of their homes and such (Buy it Now!).

Yes, Sony is trying to increase their profits.

No, the seller might not buy the R1 version. He/she might make themselves a copy and then just get rid of their legit version.

Yes, you can import legally for private use, say if you bought in HK and brought it home for you. But the seller, e.g. dddhouse, layoyo, etc, technically should not sell it to you overseas, I don't think.

Anyway, I don't know the ins and outs of the law but I don't have a problem with Sony stopping you from selling something that they have the rights for that they haven't had the opportunity to sell themselves yet. I _assume_ Sony might be less heavy handed after their own R1 has hit the market.

And yes, I agree, the implications are far reaching. More than I can handle.
Old 06-01-05, 04:16 AM

R1 Specs:

Available in separate anamorphic widescreen and fullscreen editions, each with Cantonese and English Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks, extras will include an audio commentary, deleted scenes, outtakes & bloopers, the "Making Kung Fu Hustle" TV special, and an interview with Stephen Chow by Ric Meyers. Retail is $28.95.

A UMD version also will be available, minus the extras, at the same price.
Old 06-01-05, 08:30 AM

Looks like this will be a good disc. And eBay has been stopping auctions on items in situations similar to Kung Fu Hustle for ages. I tried selling a Japanese Dreamcast game a few years ago and got my auction cancelled. It's nothing new.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.