Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Aspect Ratios

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-05, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Aspect Ratios

Besides comparing fullscreen and widescreen, and checking the IMDB Aspect Ratio sections on movies, is there any way to tell the difference between, say Super 35 Widescreen 2.35: 1 and Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35: 1? Thanks.
Old 05-15-05, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not sure what you are asking. When you have the DVD in hand the specific aspect ratio is usually written on the back of the case. When viewing on the screen, 2.35:1 movies are narrower than 1.85:1 movies. When searching online, IMDB is probably your best bet. I haven't found another source myself.
Old 05-15-05, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I mean as you're watching movies in 2.35: 1, especially nowadays, I find it impossible to tell the difference visually, unless I compare fullscreen and Widescreen, or look the movie up on the IMDB. Before the late 90's, nearly every 2.35: 1 Widescreen was anamorphic. What I'm asking, is there anyway to tell the difference between Super 35 and Anamorphic, without doing all that stuff? I don't mind doing it, I'm just trying to see if there's a way to tell, just by watching the movie, without comparing or looking it up.

Last edited by Yeti4623; 05-15-05 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05-15-05, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Besides imdb, there's really no centralized source for telling whether a certain film was filmed in Super 35 versus anamorphic. articles and interviews about a particular film may make mention of the shooting method, but those are by definition scattered and not centralized.

I'm guessing you want to know because you're intested in 4:3 versions of 2.35:1 films that have "extra" on the top an bottom. My advice: don't bother with 4:3 versions of 2.35:1 films at all.

While Super 35 allows the option to view a 2.35:1 frame entirely opened up to 4:3, that very rarely happens. 99% of the time, they crop some of the sides while opening the top and bottom a little. So while you do gain a little vertical information, you're losing horizontal information, which is stuff that was actually composed for the screen.

Even when you're getting the full-opened frame, you're really not gaining anything on a 4:3 set. The intended viewing area is the exact same size, just with wasted space on the top and bottom. "Oooh, I get to see more sky and floor, how exciting!" It may even end up showing flubs, such as the T2 examploe with the phone booth. And when you eventually transition to a 16:9 screen, the viewing area will be even smaller than if you had a 2.35:1 anamorphically enhanced DVD.

Also, keep in mind that even for films shot in Super 35, most of the special effects are composed for 2.35:1, so those will still be heavily cropped on the 4:3 version. And when you're talking about SFX heavy films like The Matrix, T2, or The Abyss, do you really want to lose 1/3 screen for the effects-heavy scenes? Granted, some newer films may compose FX for more than the 2.35:1 frame, such as LOTR which had effects compsed in 1.78:1, and the Harry Potter films, which were rerendered for the 4:3 altered frames. However, those are still few and far between, and especially with LOTR still crop on the sides.

Try these sites for more info:
http://home1.gte.net/res0mrb7/widescreen/
http://dvd.ign.com/articles/366/366890p1.html
Old 05-15-05, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Yeti4623
I'm just trying to see if there's a way to tell, just by watching the movie, without comparing or looking it up.
Well, if you want to be able to tell just by watching it, look out for anamorphic artifacts.

From: http://encyclopedia.lockergnome.com/...hic_widescreen
There are artifacts that can occur when using an anamorphic camera lens that do not occur when using an ordinary spherical lens. One is a kind of lens flare that has a long horizontal line usually with a blue tint and is most often visible when there is a bright light, such as from car headlights, in the frame with an otherwise dark scene. This artifact is not always considered to be a problem. It has come to be associated with a certain cinematic look and is in fact sometimes emulated using a special effect in scenes that were not shot using an anamorphic lens.

Another characteristic of anamorphic camera lenses is that out-of-focus elements tend to be blurred more vertically. An out-of-focus point of light in the background will appear as a vertical oval rather than a circle. When the camera shifts focus, there is often a noticeable effect where elements appear to stretch vertically when going out of focus. An anamorphic lens will also have a more shallow depth of field compared to a spherical lens for a given aperture.
Old 05-15-05, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the info.
Old 05-15-05, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay G.
Granted, some newer films may compose FX for more than the 2.35:1 frame, such as LOTR which had effects compsed in 1.78:1, and the Harry Potter films, which were rerendered for the 4:3 altered frames. However, those are still few and far between, and especially with LOTR still crop on the sides.
Note that this is not the case for the most recent Harry Potter film (PoA) as the 4:3 version is completely panned and scanned. See this thread: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416577
Old 05-15-05, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay G.
Well, if you want to be able to tell just by watching it, look out for anamorphic artifacts.

From: http://encyclopedia.lockergnome.com/...hic_widescreen
I just wanted to add that a great example of this is the first Die Hard. The movie has a lot of scenes of helicopters shining search lights directly towards the camera lens, and they flare out in the tell-tale anamorphic pattern.
Old 05-15-05, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Drexl
Note that this is not the case for the most recent Harry Potter film (PoA) as the 4:3 version is completely panned and scanned. See this thread: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416577
Thanks for that. I was going to link to that comparison page, but my old bookmarked link didn't work. I hadn't seen the PoA grabs yet.
http://plum.cream.org/HP/
Old 05-15-05, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How come we are seeing more 2.40:1 now? Is that new or just another version of 2.35:1?
Old 05-15-05, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rammsteinfan
How come we are seeing more 2.40:1 now? Is that new or just another version of 2.35:1?
The scope AR has changed slightly over the years since its introduction. The current scope projection AR is actually 2.39:1, while 2.35:1 hasn't actually been used since 1970. People still say 2.35:1 or 2.40:1 as shorthand.

And, remember, these numbers are rounded off, anyway. The current scope aperture is really 2.391304347826086...:1, and what we referred to as 2.35:1 from the late 50s through the 60s was really 2.34685314685314685..:1.

DJ

Last edited by djtoell; 05-15-05 at 11:37 PM.
Old 05-16-05, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Gotcha... thanks for the info.
Old 05-16-05, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by djtoell
And, remember, these numbers are rounded off, anyway. The current scope aperture is really 2.391304347826086...:1, and what we referred to as 2.35:1 from the late 50s through the 60s was really 2.34685314685314685..:1.

DJ
Outrageous!
Old 05-16-05, 09:21 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally Posted by Josh Z
I just wanted to add that a great example of this is the first Die Hard. The movie has a lot of scenes of helicopters shining search lights directly towards the camera lens, and they flare out in the tell-tale anamorphic pattern.
Another superb example of this effect (one I adore, personally) is literally ANY film by John Carpenter. Oh, and in regards to the entry referring to some films digitally faking anamorphic artifacts, see PANIC ROOM, which digitally added an anamorphic lens flare to the communicating-via-flashlight scene even though the film was shot Super35.
Old 05-17-05, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Besides comparing fullscreen and widescreen, and checking the IMDB Aspect Ratio sections on movies, is there any way to tell the difference between, say Super 35 Widescreen 2.35: 1 and Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35: 1? Thanks.
The IMDb is certainly helpful for technical information, but they're not completely accurate. Films shot with an aspect ratio of 2.35:1, 2.39:1, or 2.40:1 are all listed as 2.35:1. Obviously, the differences are hardly worth mentioning, but strictly speaking, 2.35:1 and 2.40:1 are not the same. Perhaps, as djtoell noted, the IMDb is simply using shorthand.

--THX
Old 05-29-05, 02:07 PM

I am curious about an odd lens occurence that I saw recently. I just finished watching The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou. In it, there are many, many scenes, where there is somethign like fisheye warping on the left and right of the screen. What is this from? Is it just the fact taht they used a wide angle lens, or could it relate to using an anamorphic camera (not sure if they did or not)?
Old 05-30-05, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

JLyon1515, I haven't watched The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, but wide lens does create a lot of distortion, especially when the filmmaker shot in an anamorphic format. The distortion will looks really obvious on horizontal lines/object.
Old 10-26-08, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Another superb example of this effect (one I adore, personally) is literally ANY film by John Carpenter. Oh, and in regards to the entry referring to some films digitally faking anamorphic artifacts, see PANIC ROOM, which digitally added an anamorphic lens flare to the communicating-via-flashlight scene even though the film was shot Super35.
I wonder if there's a telltale sign, if it's digitally faked. Is there any way of telling? Other than knowing beforehand it's Super 35. I know that specific scene in Panic Room has it, but do the filmmakers ever digitally add it to scenes where it's not important at all?

Last edited by Yeti4623; 10-26-08 at 12:37 AM.
Old 10-26-08, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wonder if there's a telltale sign, if it's digitally faked. Is there any way of telling? Other than knowing beforehand it's Super 35. I know that specific scene in Panic Room has it, but do the filmmakers ever digitally add it to scenes where it's not important at all?
FWIW, lens flares have been faked long before they could do it digitally. Dragonslayer had traditionally animated flares added.
Old 10-26-08, 08:19 PM

Any chance that the shot in Panic Room was a reshot or, for some other reason, shot using a different type of lens?