Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

tv superman? (with George Reeves - coming 10.18.05)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-05, 02:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone know if the superman tv series is ever going to be released on DVD. I believe it was aired in the 1950's and stared steve reeve. I loved that series as a kid and would iove to see it on DVD. thanks
Old 05-15-05, 07:55 AM

The Adventures of Superman starring George Reeves is indeed coming to DVD. The 1st season will be released sometime later this year. Warners has not announced the date though. Jack Larson is contributing special features to this set.

I don't buy a lot of TV on DVD, but I will be buying this. Great show.
Old 05-15-05, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thats good news....i thought it would be held up until the new movie hit theaters
Old 06-27-05, 04:40 PM

Here's your answer:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3609

Gord
Old 06-27-05, 06:18 PM

AWESOME! They're going to include the Kellogg's cereal spots!!! Those are RARE!
Old 06-27-05, 09:27 PM

I wonder if they are going to clean up the footage? Some of the old black & white TV shows were really grainy with a lot of dirt, and other specks.
Old 06-27-05, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dark_Sithlord
I wonder if they are going to clean up the footage? Some of the old black & white TV shows were really grainy with a lot of dirt, and other specks.
I read the reason the show took so long to be released was because they were looking everywhere to find the best possible original source material in order to restore the picture and sound, so I'm expecting an awesome looking set (considering it's over 50 yrs old!).
Old 06-28-05, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

the tv shows on dvd article for the lazy

Things may slow him down, but nothing can stop the Man of Steel from appearing on DVD. After rumors of a June 6th release, to tie in with Lois & Clark and Wonder Women, fell through, fans were left wondering when they'd see the Adventures of Superman on DVD. The 26 episode first season will appear on October 18, along with some awesome extras:
"Superman and the Mole Men" theatrical movie
"From Inkwell to Backlot" retrospective
Vintage George Reeves short
Expect commentaries
Original Kellogg's Sereal TV spots
The set carries a suggested retail price of $39.98 US, and will spot a full frame (1.33:1) video transfer, along with a mono audio track. We've posted small artwork shots in previous news items, but we hope to have a hi-res shot soon.

thanks to dvd answers for the cover art

Title: Adventures of Superman
Starring: George Reeves
Released: 18th October 2005
SRP: $39.98

Further Details
Warner has officially announced the complete first season of 1950's television show, The Adventures of Superman, which stars George Reeves. The five-disc set will be available to own from the 18th October this year, and should set you back around $39.98 in total. Each of the shows twenty-six episodes will be presented in 1.33:1 full frame, along with English Mono tracks. As far as we know, the only extra material will be the full length feature film Superman: Mole Men. We've attached our first look at the artwork below:

from davis dvd

It's a bird! It's a plane! It's The Adventures of Superman: The Complete First Season! Originally aired in the 1950's, the series featured George Reeves as the last son of Krypton and enjoyed tremendous success during its broadcast. The five-disc set will feature all twenty-six episodes in remastered black & white fullscreen transfers and Dolby Digital mono tracks. Extras will include various commentary tracks by "Super-Experts," a "From Inkwell to Backlot" retrospective featurette, a vintage George Reeves short, original Kellogg's cereal TV spots and the complete 1951 theatrical film "Superman and the Mole Men." Look for the set on October 18th with a retail of $39.98.

hope dvdanswers is wrong about the special features, and all the tv show on dvd rumors are true.

Last edited by Cameron; 06-28-05 at 11:16 PM.
Old 06-29-05, 08:04 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Excellent -- eagerly awaiting this!
Old 06-29-05, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
This looks terrific - and Mole Men is something I vaguely remember but haven't seen in years - nice extra!
Old 10-13-05, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

any review up for this one yet...good news

from dvd answers

Title: The Adventures of Superman
Starring: George Reeves
Released: 17th January 2006
SRP: $39.98

Further Details
Warner has officially announced the complete first season of 1950's television show, The Adventures of Superman, which stars George Reeves. The five-disc set will be available to own from the 17th January, and should set you back around $39.98 in total. Each of the shows twenty-six episodes will be presented in 1.33:1 full frame, along with English Mono tracks. I'm afraid we have no word on extra material for this one, but we'll let you know if we hear anything. For now though, here's our first look at the artwork: